Arizona Fall League

Dam8610

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Aug 23, 2016 -> 09:28 PM)
http://mlb.mlb.com/r/article?ymd=20160823&...ws&c_id=cws

At the end of the article, the wording is confusing. Is Collins or Hansen going to the Arizona Fall League? Only one can go, right?

Only Collins will be going to the AFL but before he goes, he will attend the instructional, which Hansen will also be attending.

Collins is in for the AFL.

I could swear there was a thread for this already, but now I can't find it. Oh well. My guess is the other 6 or 7 guys will come from this list (remember that it's mostly AA and AAA guys by the rules, though the rules are flexible)...

Brad Goldberg (want to know what they have here, if anything)

Blake Smith (same as Goldberg)

Eddy Alvarez (needs to keep adding work to catch up)

Danny Hayes (if he's healthy, to catch up on lost time)

Jacob May (same as Hayes)

Matt Cooper (same as Goldberg)

Brian Clark (Actually went down in innings this year, could be MLB in 2017)

Nolan Sanburn (missed time, just now getting a groove)

Connor Walsh (was promoted to AA just in time to be AA for it - not a coincidence IMO, and needs refinement around a big fastball)

Hunter Jones (Same as Walsh, and I've gotten a report from some scouts that maybe he's actually a prospect)

***Small chance that Tanner Banks or Mason Robbins could go from High A

Instructs is a different beast. That will mostly be rookie ball guys, a few from A-ball levels. Just the youngsters.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 08:39 AM)
Well he's doing sim games right now. I'd guess he throws in Fall Instructs. Winter ball I'm not sure, but we can ask him.

Feels like that injury couldn't happened at a worse part of the season. Basically lost two years to it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 09:10 AM)
I don't recall the Sox sending a draft pick to AFL immediately before. Has it happened before? Do other teams do it?

It is very unusual. AFL is supposed to be mostly AA and above guys, with teams allowed one or two guys below that (sometimes they get an exception for one more). And draft picks in their draft year is certainly not typical.

QUOTE (Donaldo @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 08:07 PM)
Is Adam Engel eligible, or is there some rule preventing a player from going two years in a row?

No rule against it, but it is rarely done.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 09:39 AM)
If they don't give Fulmer a number of big league starts in September I could see them sending him to get his innings up.

Good call, that might be a good idea.

QUOTE (Sox Fan In Husker Land @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 08:01 AM)
Arizona Fall League Rosters

P Brian Clark

P Matt Cooper

P Brad Goldberg

P Connor Walsh

C Zack Collins (taxi squad member, activated only on Wednesdays and Saturdays)

1B Danny Hayes

3B Trey Michalczewski

OF Courtney Hawkins

Manager Aaron Rowand.

I got the majority of those right. I didn't predict Michalczewski because he's been there before, and players rarely go twice. Also kinda surprised at Hawkins, but hey, why not.

QUOTE (Sox Fan In Husker Land @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 08:01 AM)
Arizona Fall League Rosters

P Brian Clark

P Matt Cooper

P Brad Goldberg

P Connor Walsh

C Zack Collins (taxi squad member, activated only on Wednesdays and Saturdays)

1B Danny Hayes

3B Trey Michalczewski

OF Courtney Hawkins

Manager Aaron Rowand.

I liked Rowand as a player, but I certainly hope that this is not so they can announce him as the new manager after this season ends and claim that he has experience.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 08:03 AM)
I got the majority of those right. I didn't predict Michalczewski because he's been there before, and players rarely go twice. Also kinda surprised at Hawkins, but hey, why not.

Does this prevent Clark or Goldberg from being September call ups?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 10:49 AM)
Nope. Though I think they are both semi-long shots anyway for that, but both are possible.

Clark I understand. Why wouldn't they give Goldberg innings though? There is no reason why Matt Albers should be getting innings that Goldberg could be pitching.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 1, 2016 -> 10:56 AM)
Clark I understand. Why wouldn't they give Goldberg innings though? There is no reason why Matt Albers should be getting innings that Goldberg could be pitching.

You're confusing my thoughts with the Sox' thoughts. I agree that I'd much rather see a Blake Smith or Brad Goldberg, than Matt Albers or Justin Turner. I'm just not sure the Sox feel the same way.