Interview with Matt Zaleski, Pitching Coach for Great Falls

NorthSideSox72

Matt Zaleski was a pitcher in the White Sox system as recently as 2014. Here in 2016 he's the pitching coach for rookie-level Great Falls, and he's been really good at it. His pitching staff has been by far the best in the Pioneer League, and he's been helpful in development of pitchers like Alec Hansen and Yosmer Solorzano among others.

Our Rob (southside hitman) interviewed Matt recently, and they discussed those two pitchers and others, making the transition to coaching, and what he emphasizes in his work. Some really good stuff in here.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 7, 2016 -> 08:12 AM)
Good stuff about Hansen but a little disappointed there's nothing about Aron McRee .

In hindsight, I wish I threw in a question about McRee, just because of how amazing he has been as a UDFA. However, the interview was running long and McRee is a long shot to do much at the higher levels. Though his success is another testament to how well Zaleski is doing.

Edited by southside hitman

I love reading stuff like this. The Sox as an organization just get pitching. They get it from day one of the minors, all of the way up to the majors. Reading about how they looked at his pitching from a physiological standpoint, and were able to make the tweaks almost immediately, while 48 other chances were passed up to take him, it just amazing.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Sep 7, 2016 -> 02:45 PM)
In hindsight, I wish I threw in a question about McRee, just because of how amazing he has been as a UDFA. However, the interview was running long and McRee is a long shot to do much at the higher levels. Though his success is another testament to how well Zaleski is doing.

I took this from the Pioneer League website today:

After naming its All-Star team Monday, the Pioneer League unveiled its Most Valuable Player and Pitcher of the Year on Tuesday.

Rookie-level Idaho Falls catcher Meibrys Viloria took home the 2016 Ralph Nelles Award as the circuit's MVP, while Great Falls right-hander Aron McRee was named the 2016 Logan Hurlburt Pitcher of the Year.

Viloria led the league with a .381 batting average, 28 doubles and 54 RBIs and finished second behind Ogden's DJ Peters with a 1.061 OPS and tied for second with 53 runs scored with Aaron Schnurbusch; both trailed Peters' league-leading 62. Viloria started behind the plate in the All-Star Game against the Northwest League and represented the circuit in the Home Run Derby.

McRee won the circuit ERA title in a runaway, finishing 5-0 with a 2.16 ERA. His six walks were the fewest among qualifiers, and he struck out 54 batters over 66 2/3 innings. His two home runs allowed trailed only Great Falls' Yosmer Solorzano, who gave up one in 81 frames.

Chris Tripodi is an editor for MiLB.com. Follow him on Twitter @christripodi. This story wa

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 7, 2016 -> 05:37 PM)
I took this from the Pioneer League website today:

After naming its All-Star team Monday, the Pioneer League unveiled its Most Valuable Player and Pitcher of the Year on Tuesday.

Rookie-level Idaho Falls catcher Meibrys Viloria took home the 2016 Ralph Nelles Award as the circuit's MVP, while Great Falls right-hander Aron McRee was named the 2016 Logan Hurlburt Pitcher of the Year.

Viloria led the league with a .381 batting average, 28 doubles and 54 RBIs and finished second behind Ogden's DJ Peters with a 1.061 OPS and tied for second with 53 runs scored with Aaron Schnurbusch; both trailed Peters' league-leading 62. Viloria started behind the plate in the All-Star Game against the Northwest League and represented the circuit in the Home Run Derby.

McRee won the circuit ERA title in a runaway, finishing 5-0 with a 2.16 ERA. His six walks were the fewest among qualifiers, and he struck out 54 batters over 66 2/3 innings. His two home runs allowed trailed only Great Falls' Yosmer Solorzano, who gave up one in 81 frames.

Chris Tripodi is an editor for MiLB.com. Follow him on Twitter @christripodi. This story wa

No argument here he deserved accolades for his performance. He has impressive control and his ERA was very good, but a good comparison might be that the Heisman Trophy winner in College Football isn't always taken early in the NFL draft. He had so-so numbers from a DII school and his 54 strikeouts and 57 hits allowed over 66.2 innings and .228 batting average against suggest he wasn't blowing rookie level hitters away.

I am not saying he is a bum or doesn't have a chance, he is just a long shot. But again, hats off to Zaleski for getting the most of his guys, multiple examples with Hansen, Solorzano, and McRee.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 14, 2016 -> 10:34 AM)
Rob Young ‏@RobertHYoung 19h19 hours ago Under Zaleski's watch, the @gfvoyagers pitchers led the Pioneer League in ERA, WHIP, K's, SHO's and the least BB's, H's, and HR's

I should also note the team ERA (3.54) was the best in the Pioneer League since 2003.