Volunteering with Refugees

Texsox

With my hometown becoming the epicenter of the current refugee crisis I have an opportunity to be behind the lines so to speak. Here is an insider's look.

First off from the front lines the people coming across the border can be split into two very distinct groups. The folks who come across and turn themselves in and request refugee status and the people crossing and not turning themselves in. The not turning themselves in group are the gang/cartel members whom everyone involved wants arrested and returned to Mexico or points further south. Governor Perry has ordered the National Guard in to help. Any help that allows Border Patrol to better go after this group should be welcomed by everyone.

The first group, those requesting refugee status can be divided into two groups. Accompanied children and unaccompanied children. The unaccompanied children disappear into the system and are being housed somewhere. My experiences and the experiences of friends of mine are with the accompanied minors group. This group is mostly mothers and their children although we do see some fathers. Of course there are a few families with two parents, but not that many.

After INS has processed the families, those with some connection in the US, family, friends, job offers, etc. are given bus tickets and a ride to the bus terminal. At the bus terminal Sacred Heart Church in McAllen picks the refugees up in a small bus and takes them to the church for humanitarian aid. The numbers have been steady at 150 to 200 per day. When new families arrive everyone, volunteers and other refugees, stops for a moment and cheers and applauds to greet them. Unless you are just a hardcore uncaring person you can't help but feel good about humanity when you see the smile and relief on people's faces and knowing that other people with nothing to gain are unselfishly helping them. It is the first time the refugees see a welcoming and friendly face. A volunteer is assigned to the family and will stay with them throughout the process. There is a toy corral for the kids to play while the adults are being helped. One of the saddest sights are the children still too traumatized to play. They continue to cling to their parents.

The church has been totally changed to assist in the effort. The parish hall is turned over to this effort. The parking lot has dorms, shower facilities, and a portable medical truck. The families are fed a meal of soup and bread. Earlier a more substantial meal was provided but it proved too much for their systems after not eating much while on the road and they were throwing the food up. So soup it is. A massive amount of clothes are stacked on folding tables. Something I had not considered was Americans have been donating a lot of clothes but they are mostly larger sizes, the refugees are smaller. After clothing is selected the refugees are directed to a shower facility, for most of the people this is their first shower in weeks or months. Their clothes are almost always thrown away. The most critical need I saw was for underwear and bras in smaller sizes.

After a shower there is the medical screening. Despite what the media is reporting the medical issues are mostly the kind of issues associated with long hikes through hot weather. Yes, out of the thousands and thousands more serious issues are found, but it has been very rare. Also, Sacred Heart is only seeing refugees who have been processed by INS.There are dorms set up for the people to get some sleep before heading to the bus station.

When it is time to leave to catch their bus they are provided sandwiches and snacks for their journey. The destinations are all over the map. I pray for those crossing Arizona and other spots in the country that are not welcoming to refugees.

A friend of mine who is volunteer at Sacred Heart mentioned hearing this story from a volunteer which explained why he was there helping. It is the story of Jews trying to escape Nazi Germany aboard the SS St. Louis and being turned away by Cuba and the United States. http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27373131

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 03:04 PM)
A friend of mine who is volunteer at Sacred Heart mentioned hearing this story from a volunteer which explained why he was there helping. It is the story of Jews trying to escape Nazi Germany aboard the SS St. Louis and being turned away by Cuba and the United States. http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27373131

Your friend is very stupid.

My cousin's father was on the ship before that was the last one allowed to enter the US. It is part of the reason why I do not believe we have the right to restrict people's access to a better chance at life. No one deserves to suffer/die because they were unfortunately born on the wrong side of an arbitrary line.

/shrugs

If not for the compassion of others, I would not exist, same probably goes for many in this country. It is just easy to forget where you came from when you live on the right side of the arbitrary line.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 10:06 AM)
My cousin's father was on the ship before that was the last one allowed to enter the US. It is part of the reason why I do not believe we have the right to restrict people's access to a better chance at life. No one deserves to suffer/die because they were unfortunately born on the wrong side of an arbitrary line.

/shrugs

If not for the compassion of others, I would not exist, same probably goes for many in this country. It is just easy to forget where you came from when you live on the right side of the arbitrary line.

While noble, when that sort of policy hurts the country, it's not good policy. And, as has been pointed out to you before, you can't compare the immigration policies of the past with modern times.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 10:22 AM)
While noble, when that sort of policy hurts the country, it's not good policy. And, as has been pointed out to you before, you can't compare the immigration policies of the past with modern times.

You are entitled to your opinion. There are plenty of economists who would agree with me. So the "chance" that it may hurt our economy, does not outweigh the reality that these people are escaping.

They made the same argument as you when they made immigration quotas to keep the undesirables out. Its important to remember that almost all of us were at one point the "undesirable" that others tried to keep out. Thankfully, there were other people who understood that this country isnt worth a damn if we become what we all tried to escape.

Its interesting that its many of the people who believe in religion that are the most anti-immigration. But each of us has to make our own decisions about what is right.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 10:36 AM)
You are entitled to your opinion. There are plenty of economists who would agree with me. So the "chance" that it may hurt our economy, does not outweigh the reality that these people are escaping.

They made the same argument as you when they made immigration quotas to keep the undesirables out. Its important to remember that almost all of us were at one point the "undesirable" that others tried to keep out. Thankfully, there were other people who understood that this country isnt worth a damn if we become what we all tried to escape.

Its interesting that its many of the people who believe in religion that are the most anti-immigration. But each of us has to make our own decisions about what is right.

We have our own internal problems to deal with that trump the problems these people are going through. Maybe once we figure THAT out we can turn our attention to other people in the world.

If you're a resident of Detroit or the s***ty areas of Chicago, Baltimore, DC, etc., how do you feel about your savior Obama asking for 3.7 billion to deal with this "crisis?" Wouldn't it be nice for that money to be diverted to, you know, Americans?

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.

More immigrants is likely to help those people the most, as historically an increase in immigration usually leads to the lower class being elevated.

That being said, it goes back to the why should people suffer just because of an imaginary line? Many immigrants would give up a lot to have the same opportunity/chance that people in the "s***ty" areas of America have. Because the irony is, those areas arent so "s***ty" when compared to other places in the world.

The US has a warped world view and a sense of entitlement.

Great part of being American is that you can have those opinions, even if they are hypocritical with the whole point of this nation. Its odd that someone like me who believes in nothing, has more compassion than many of those who claim to be Christians. Its as if they didnt even read the book.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 10:50 AM)
More immigrants is likely to help those people the most, as historically an increase in immigration usually leads to the lower class being elevated.

That being said, it goes back to the why should people suffer just because of an imaginary line? Many immigrants would give up a lot to have the same opportunity/chance that people in the "s***ty" areas of America have. Because the irony is, those areas arent so "s***ty" when compared to other places in the world.

The US has a warped world view and a sense of entitlement.

Great part of being American is that you can have those opinions, even if they are hypocritical with the whole point of this nation. Its odd that someone like me who believes in nothing, has more compassion than many of those who claim to be Christians. Its as if they didnt even read the book.

Oh GMAFB.

And it's not an imaginary line. People in this country have fought and died and worked and sweat for what this country has become, for better or for worse. Yes, we won the life lottery and were born here in the US as opposed to some s***ty third world country, but it's not as if that guarantees you anything. It's not like it devalues the hard work your family went through to get to this point.

I'm not suggesting a closed border, but I don't see the need for a completely open, no questions asked, border either. This isn't 1900 anymore.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 01:11 PM)
With what money? With what jobs?

The United States's GDP is currently about $16 trillion. That statement is not an argument that we don't have the funds, it's an argument that you have other things that are more important.

And also, very few 7 year old refugees need jobs.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 12:11 PM)
Oh GMAFB.

And it's not an imaginary line. People in this country have fought and died and worked and sweat for what this country has become, for better or for worse. Yes, we won the life lottery and were born here in the US as opposed to some s***ty third world country, but it's not as if that guarantees you anything. It's not like it devalues the hard work your family went through to get to this point.

I'm not suggesting a closed border, but I don't see the need for a completely open, no questions asked, border either. This isn't 1900 anymore.

It is an imaginary line. People in my family have died for this country, one was at Normandy, he was a first generation Italian immigrant who died fighting against the Axis. His father and grandmother immigrated to the US from Italy, they had nothing. Every one of their sons served in WWII.

Making sure that people like his father get an opportunity, honors the sacrifice he made. It doesnt devalue it, it honors it. Destroying that legacy is what devalues this country. They sacrificed, so that we could enjoy freedom. The least we can do is sacrifice a little of wealth, so that people in similar conditions could get the same opportunity.

American history is filled with stories of immigrants/non-americans, sacrificing for these ideals. The idea that everyone deserves a chance to live in a country like this. If we forget that, then they died in vain.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 12:18 PM)
The United States's GDP is currently about $16 trillion. That statement is not an argument that we don't have the funds, it's an argument that you have other things that are more important.

And also, very few 7 year old refugees need jobs.

According to SB they'll make the economy better for everyone.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 01:56 PM)
It is an imaginary line. People in my family have died for this country, one was at Normandy, he was a first generation Italian immigrant who died fighting against the Axis. His father and grandmother immigrated to the US from Italy, they had nothing. Every one of their sons served in WWII.

Making sure that people like his father get an opportunity, honors the sacrifice he made. It doesnt devalue it, it honors it. Destroying that legacy is what devalues this country. They sacrificed, so that we could enjoy freedom. The least we can do is sacrifice a little of wealth, so that people in similar conditions could get the same opportunity.

American history is filled with stories of immigrants/non-americans, sacrificing for these ideals. The idea that everyone deserves a chance to live in a country like this. If we forget that, then they died in vain.

No one is saying take away the opportunity. What people are saying is stop flooding the gates. And particularly, Mr. President, stop allowing it to happen.

As to the bolded, they die equally in vein if we don't recognize the country and its borders anymore.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 02:03 PM)
According to SB they'll make the economy better for everyone.

Maybe not instantly, but eventually they would. There is no point in belaboring (pun intended) this issue, if you dont accept free market capitalism principles there is really no point in arguing why capitalism works.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 02:06 PM)
No one is saying take away the opportunity. What people are saying is stop flooding the gates. And particularly, Mr. President, stop allowing it to happen.

As to the bolded, they die equally in vein if we don't recognize the country and its borders anymore.

I dont think the gates are being flooded. Plenty of space in America. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_density

And who is saying not to recognize the border? Are we ceding territory to Mexico or Canada that I am not aware of? Is texas going to be Mexico?

Perhaps we will lose North Dakota to Canada?

Of course not, the US border will still have the same impact. 1 side you are in the US, the other side you are not. The only difference is there wont be an imaginary fence to keep people out who want to immigrate here. Border still 100% intact and recognized, just the rules of immigration have changed.

But fear-mongering is always easier.

ITS A FLOOD, WHITE PEOPLE BE DROWNING IN THE STREETS AND THEY WONT EVEN OVERPAY US TO CLEAN THEM UP BECAUSE ALL THEM MINORITIES BE STEALING OUR JOBS #IMMIGRANTFLOODWATCH2014

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)
Maybe not instantly, but eventually they would. There is no point in belaboring (pun intended) this issue, if you dont accept free market capitalism principles there is really no point in arguing why capitalism works.

Such a thing does not exist. If we can regulate and tax and blah blah we can limit who comes into the country too.

I dont think the gates are being flooded. Plenty of space in America. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_density

And who is saying not to recognize the border? Are we ceding territory to Mexico or Canada that I am not aware of? Is texas going to be Mexico?

Perhaps we will lose North Dakota to Canada?

Of course not, the US border will still have the same impact. 1 side you are in the US, the other side you are not. The only difference is there wont be an imaginary fence to keep people out who want to immigrate here. Border still 100% intact and recognized, just the rules of immigration have changed.

But fear-mongering is always easier.

ITS A FLOOD, WHITE PEOPLE BE DROWNING IN THE STREETS AND THEY WONT EVEN OVERPAY US TO CLEAN THEM UP BECAUSE ALL THEM MINORITIES BE STEALING OUR JOBS #IMMIGRANTFLOODWATCH2014

I don't really think it's fear mongering. I'm not fearing some great mexican/latin american take over. To pull an SB comment: I guess I just care about poor Americans more than poor non-Americans. *Shrugs*

Tax has nothing to do with free market ideals. Adam Smith (the guy who invented it) said: "The subjects of every state ought to contribute towards the support of the government, as nearly as possible, in proportion to their respective abilities; that is, in proportion to the revenue which they respectively enjoy under the protection of the state."

And you are right, we can do whatever we want. It just is historically really bad to screw with the labor side economics. Which is why guys like Adam Smith said immigration restrictions were bad.

As for caring about americans or non-americans, they arent non-americans when they immigrate here. They are American, and that is what will make this country remain at the top. We need to keep stealing the best and the most driven from other countries, it is simply the best way to protect our style of life. And since I believe in economics, I know that more immigrants would ultimately be good for the poorest americans, so there is no conflict. Its not like I can only help A or B, in my scenario both A and B are helped.

In your scenario, neither are helped. So its either help A and B or hurt A and B. Not really a tough choice.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 02:26 PM)
Tax has nothing to do with free market ideals. Adam Smith (the guy who invented it) said: "The subjects of every state ought to contribute towards the support of the government, as nearly as possible, in proportion to their respective abilities; that is, in proportion to the revenue which they respectively enjoy under the protection of the state."

When taxes are used as punishment or as a way to steer the market, for example with sin-taxes, they absolutely inhibit free market ideals. It's not about paying your share to the government, it's about limiting your market exposure with government intervention.

And you are right, we can do whatever we want. It just is historically really bad to screw with the labor side economics. Which is why guys like Adam Smith said immigration restrictions were bad.

As for caring about americans or non-americans, they arent non-americans when they immigrate here. They are American, and that is what will make this country remain at the top. We need to keep stealing the best and the most driven from other countries, it is simply the best way to protect our style of life. And since I believe in economics, I know that more immigrants would ultimately be good for the poorest americans, so there is no conflict. Its not like I can only help A or B, in my scenario both A and B are helped.

In your scenario, neither are helped. So its either help A and B or hurt A and B. Not really a tough choice.

So for the next 10 years and however many billions of dollars, the tens of thousands of kids coming into the country are going to help the country how? You're speaking and dreaming in idealistic terms, not reality. The reality is we're letting tens of thousands of people in who are just skipping in front of others who have been waiting in line, and then they're released into the wild. It's not fair to LEGAL immigrants, and it's not fair to the suffering people who are already here.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 04:02 PM)
The reality is we're letting tens of thousands of people in who are just skipping in front of others who have been waiting in line, and then they're released into the wild.

At least no one will ever accuse him of dehumanizing them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 03:03 PM)
At least no one will ever accuse him of dehumanizing them.

But it's the truth! We hold them, release them and then tell them to come back before a judge within 48 hours. It's not like they have money or speak the language. That's what part of that 3.5 billion dollar request was about - places to hold them and more judges and whatnot to process them.

Legal immigration in this country is a joke. I don't blame people for getting desperate given the fact that a poor Latin American child has absolutely ZERO chance of ever legally getting into this country unless they can become somewhat affluent in their home country

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 04:12 PM)
But it's the truth! We hold them, release them and then tell them to come back before a judge within 48 hours. It's not like they have money or speak the language. That's what part of that 3.5 billion dollar request was about - places to hold them and more judges and whatnot to process them.

And of course when we release them they head out into the forests to find bushes to sleep under and hunt squirrels for food. Because it's the wild. And they're not people, they're animals.