OD Roster Predictions: Centerfield

Chicago White Sox

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the primary CF to start the season?

• Adam Engel
    • Leury Garcia
    • Charlie Tilson
    • Ryan Cordell
  2. 2. Who will actually start in CF on opening day?

• Adam Engel
    • Leury Garcia
    • Charlie Tilson
    • Ryan Cordell

So to continue with the opening day roster predictions, I wanted to see how people thought CF would shake-out. This seems to be a wide open competition with four guys who could ultimately land the job.

The poll includes two separate questions (primary CF vs. opening day CF) since we’re likely to face a lefty on opening day in Danny Duffy.

I feel like Cordell and Tilson have missed so much time that unless they have an amazing spring, they should start out in the minors. I also think that the two guys in this group that really need to play CF almost everyday are Tilson and Engel because that will be their primary position. So that basically sets me up with Engel in CF in the majors with Leury as the super sub and then Tilson in center at AAA with Cordell taking some games there when Tilson needs a break. I could see Leury starting in center for opening day if the plan is to have our best guys out there and to use him in a super sub role where he plays more days than he doesn't, but I think the primary CF to start the year will be Engel.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 07:46 AM)
I feel like Cordell and Tilson have missed so much time that unless they have an amazing spring, they should start out in the minors. I also think that the two guys in this group that really need to play CF almost everyday are Tilson and Engel because that will be their primary position. So that basically sets me up with Engel in CF in the majors with Leury as the super sub and then Tilson in center at AAA with Cordell taking some games there when Tilson needs a break. I could see Leury starting in center for opening day if the plan is to have our best guys out there and to use him in a super sub role where he plays more days than he doesn't, but I think the primary CF to start the year will be Engel.

Yeah I think this is likely the case. Plus, does anyone actually think Tilson will be healthy on Opening Day for him to even be a factor for the job? Because I don't.

Edited by soxfan2014

Cordell stood out for his athleticism and tools and has the bat speed and strength to hit for power from the right side. He struggles to control the strike zone at times and has swing and miss tendencies. He has plus speed and seems to be an efficient base stealing threat. Cordell played 6 positions while in the Texas organization but the Brewers played him exclusively in the outfield. MLB Pipeline believes that he is rangy enough to stick in CF but he profiles as an "ideal 4th OF". After arriving in Milwaukee, the outfielder lowered where he loads his hands and slowed down his stride. This helped him tap into his bat speed and allowed for pull power in games. His scouting grades according to mlbpipeline (as of 2017) were: Hit 45/Power 55/Run 60/Arm 55/Field 55. He's very athletic and toolsy but is already 25 years old. He projects to have at least 4 average tools and he's show a propensity to make adjustments at every minor league stop. The profile feels a bit like Jason Coats if he had the speed to play center field. Look for Cordell to have a shot at a MLB job in 2018, but may also spend some time in AAA Charlotte (and in fact could open the season there.) chicagonow.com

Cordell and Tilson need to prove themselves in AAA first.

Leury starts all over the field like Chone Figgins until he’s traded.

Engel is likely a 4th or 5th infielder due to his offensive deficiencies. Willy Garcia your other outfielder.

My odds.

Engel - Even money

Garcia -150

Tilson -250

Cordell -300

Field 10:1

Personally I think they WANT Engel to win the job, as his defense is pretty untouchable in general. He is a 75 to 80 defender in CF, and that is a big help to a very young pitching staff. I think it is his job to lose at this point. Hopefully his work in the off season at the plate pays off and he can also hit a respectable amount to still be starting at the end of the year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 09:46 AM)
My odds.

Engel - Even money

Garcia -150

Tilson -250

Cordell -300

Personally I think they WANT Engel to win the job, as his defense is pretty untouchable in general. He is a 75 to 80 defender in CF, and that is a big help to a very young pitching staff. I think it is his job to lose at this point. Hopefully his work in the off season at the plate pays off and he can also hit a respectable amount to still be starting at the end of the year.

He was one of the very worst players in baseball last year though. I personally don't even know if he hits well enough to be a 4th OF. He had a 37 wRC+ last year. 37.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 09:50 AM)
He was one of the very worst players in baseball last year though. I personally don't even know if he hits well enough to be a 4th OF. He had a 37 wRC+ last year. 37.

Part of that is that he was put into a bad situation where he couldn't be brought along slowly, a part of that is mechanical flaws. Most guys have a chance to platoon or get favorable match ups with someone else taking up part of the slack early on. The kid barely got a rest the last couple of months of the season as the only CF on the roster after the rest got hurt. I know he isn't great, but he also isn't 37 RC+ bad, and I think the Sox feel the same way reading the comments about him.

That is also not to say that he is the starter on April 1, but not July 1.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 10:46 AM)
My odds.

Engel - Even money

Garcia -150

Tilson -250

Cordell -300

Not to be a dick, but I got a kick out of this. You must not be a gambler. The way this is listed Cordell is most likely to start.

Engel -300

Garcia -250

Tilson -100

Cordell EVEN

Field +1000

Edited by mmmmmbeeer

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 08:54 AM)
Anyone else find it odd that someone voted for Cordell to start the season as the primary CF but doesn't even have him starting Opening Day against (as of right now) a lefty (Cordell being a righty)?

Haha that was me... I misread the question. I thought it was asking who would be the primary CF though out the season. I don't think he will be starting opening day because I think they will give him time in AAA because of the injury but I think he will take the starting job during the season.

I'd guess Engel win the CF job out of ST. Leury is going to be needed mostly as a bench guy because the Sox are only going to carry a 13th pitcher. I still think he's going to get a decent amount of starts, especially against LHP's to give Delmonico a break. I'll say in late-May, Cordell gets the call to replace Engel after having a productive start to the year in Charlotte. Engel's D is amazing, but I don't have a lot of faith that his new swing is going to make all that much of a difference for him to hit enough to stay in the lineup. Tilson isn't even a factor in my eyes. I think he's the guy who gets DFA'd after ST to clear a roster spot for a NRI pitcher.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 12:06 AM)
I think they want Engel to win the job because of his defense and athleticism, but unless that bat finds a way over the Mendoza line, I think we'll be seeing lots of Leury Garcia in CF.

Yea I agree but I hope the org finds a role for Leury regardless, need more info on him. He has more talent than Engel could dream of overall with his ability to play SS/CF etc and perhaps hit 270/330/420. I'm high on Leury. I think the sox found something there. If nothing else he's probably a really awesome utility guy, like top 5 in the league.

Engel strikes me as a guy that's out of baseball in a few years. Maybe one out of two timelines he turns into a cromulent 4th OF borderline 1.5 WAR starter.

Engel's appeal is not based solely upon his elite defense and athleticism. He is also very fast and possesses legitimate power. It's easy to understand why management might want to give him every opportunity to learn to hit. Whether, or not, he is able to accomplish that is very questionable, but I'm rooting for him. He is one of those guys who probably spent too much time playing another sport. Perhaps if he had concentrated more on baseball and less on football, he would be further along in his development, as a hitter.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 07:13 AM)
Engel's appeal is not based solely upon his elite defense and athleticism. He is also very fast and possesses legitimate power. It's easy to understand why management might want to give him every opportunity to learn to hit. Whether, or not, he is able to accomplish that is very questionable, but I'm rooting for him. He is one of those guys who probably spent too much time playing another sport. Perhaps if he had concentrated more on baseball and less on football, he would be further along in his development, as a hitter.

To me, very fast and power potential is covered by athleticism. His problem is he can't find a consistent good swing and IIRC he tinkers with it constantly. As a result, he can't hit. Hopefully he can miraculously find a swing that works, and I understand why the White Sox want to let him try, but I think the most likely scenario is Leury Garcia plays the bulk of the CF time because Engel can't hit.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 07:36 AM)
To me, very fast and power potential is covered by athleticism. His problem is he can't find a consistent good swing and IIRC he tinkers with it constantly. As a result, he can't hit. Hopefully he can miraculously find a swing that works, and I understand why the White Sox want to let him try, but I think the most likely scenario is Leury Garcia plays the bulk of the CF time because Engel can't hit.

Agreed. There will be enough at bats for the two of them anyway. And whoever starts a game on the bench can find their way into a game late as a defensive sub or pinch runner.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 07:13 AM)

The upside may be tantalizing but the odds of him ever putting it altogher seem super low. Given that we have a potential superstar in Robert who could be ready by opening day 2020 (I know I’m being optimistic here), I just think we’re better off using this season developing a guy who has a better chance of serving as a potential transitional CF until Luis is ready. And in that regard, I think Leury, Cordell, & even Tilson make far more sense.

Look, I won’t be upset if they give Engel one last shot, but I hope it’s a really short leash. Can’t waste too much time on a guy that has shown no ability to hit major league pitching when other attractive options exist. And I still think Leury deserves an extended look in CF after how well he performed there last year pre-injury.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 07:42 AM)
The upside may be tantalizing but the odds of him ever putting it altogher seem super low. Given that we have a potential superstar in Robert who could be ready by opening day 2020 (I know I’m being optimistic here), I just think we’re better off using this season developing a guy who has a better chance of serving as a potential transitional CF until Luis is ready. And in that regard, I think Leury, Cordell, & even Tilson make far more sense.

Look, I won’t be upset if they give Engel one last shot, but I hope it’s a really short leash. Can’t waste too much time on a guy that has shown no ability to hit major league pitching when other attractive options exist. And I still think Leury deserves an extended look in CF after how well he performed there last year pre-injury.

Leury can turn himself into an attractive trade chip. A team looking to add a Zobrist type player where he can be an everyday player at a different position. Or maybe a team has a key injury and needs a starting CF, another MI, etc.

Edited by soxfan2014