http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018

Top 30 comes out Feb 21

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=cws

Edited by wrathofhahn

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 04:08 PM)
No need to ascribe reasons. I just posted the number because it was notable.

That seems debatable. I think many of us want to turn the page on him and forget about the f*** up of a trade that is and not hang onto the past. No offense.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 05:13 PM)
That seems debatable. I think many of us want to turn the page on him and forget about the f*** up of a trade that is and not hang onto the past. No offense.

That's fair just to be clear I manually scanned both years lists for Sox prospects and whether they fell or rose in the ranking and it was something I noticed and felt worth mentioning.

No other reason and with all due respect as much as we'd like to pretend away the trade it happened. In any case I'd rather discuss the Sox prospects do you have an opinion on our current guys and where Mayo ranked them?

Personally I think Rutherford was hit too hard. He should maybe drop to the 80's like Maitan but he also showed some positives he had an extremely advanced approach at the plate and wasn't pulling the ball to either side of field. His BABIP was .257 after the trade so there is reason believe there was a certain amount of bad luck involved as well.

Edited by wrathofhahn

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 10:13 PM)

Thing is, some of us don't forgive the Sox front office for mistakes as easily as others. My anger stems from the fact fans pay so much money to go to a game they have the right to b****. Many of you don't care about that. Why should they be forgiven if Tatis turns into a phenom? You can still be a fan and rip the front office at times.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 05:11 PM)
Thing is, some of us don't forgive the Sox front office for mistakes as easily as others. My anger stems from the fact fans pay so much money to go to a game they have the right to b****. Many of you don't care about that. Why should they be forgiven if Tatis turns into a phenom? You can still be a fan and rip the front office at times.

At this point, it's beating a dead horse. We all get that that trade never should have been made, I'd really rather stop thinking about it and instead focus on what the team has to work with and how that can hopefully be the foundation of a championship caliber team. Bringing it up over and over does no good, it's just complaining to complain, because there's nothing that can be done about it now.

You can rip them all you want. Many did when it happened. But to hang on to it for years is not a healthy thing. Are you still angry over the Sammy Sosa trade? how about the Gio Gonzalez trades?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 05:58 PM)
You can rip them all you want. Many did when it happened. But to hang on to it for years is not a healthy thing. Are you still angry over the Sammy Sosa trade? how about the Gio Gonzalez trades?

This s*** could go on for 15 more years, in what world is that fun and not just masochistic? I prefer fun out of my sports consumption, not constant indignation.

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 06:14 PM)
It's also shocking considering how the Tatis trade has been beaten to death on this board. We get it, it was a TERRIBLE trade then, TERRIBLE trade now, and will be a TERRIBLE trade in 5 seasons. I assume Rick Hahn would tell you the same thing, and he absolutely deserves to wear it for that awful move.

What else do you want us to do? It's time to move on.

Exactly. Every GM has trades that they wished they could take back. They usually occur when trading a young prospect for an aging veteran when making a desperate move to compete.

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 06:14 PM)
It's also shocking considering how the Tatis trade has been beaten to death on this board. We get it, it was a TERRIBLE trade then, TERRIBLE trade now, and will be a TERRIBLE trade in 5 seasons. I assume Rick Hahn would tell you the same thing, and he absolutely deserves to wear it for that awful move.

What else do you want us to do? It's time to move on.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 06:21 PM)
Exactly. Every GM has trades that they wished they could take back. They usually occur when trading a young prospect for an aging veteran when making a desperate move to compete.

It's just exhausting. Why do this to yourself? Like you said, the trade was bad and Rick Hahn sure as hell knows he f***ed up. Constantly bringing it up isn't holding the front office accountable or interesting, it's just torturous, It's in everyone's best interest to just move on, what do you really gain from obsessing over it?

Probably the worst trade I can remember is the Red Sox trading prospect Bagwell for Larry Anderson. Still, the Bagwell trade was made in August, Anderson was pitching well, he pitched better for Boston and they won the division. Bad trade, but some justification.

It was June, the White Sox were tanking, and Shields was having a terrible year. There was no justification for that trade.

The FO gets a do-over, one that I don't believe they earned. The dispersal phase has been fine. HOpefully they build a good team this time.

It's notable for the purpose of judging the FO on how the rebuild goes. If he turns out to be a star and the rebuild is mediocre, we can gauge that trade as symptomatic of meaning this FO doesn't know what they're doing and therefore they need to go. But I'm not angry about it anymore, we've certainly gotten the better end of some trades. And the rebuild looks to be coming along nicely. If we sign Machado to play 3b, I'll definitely stop caring about that trade.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 08:36 PM)
Probably the worst trade I can remember is the Red Sox trading prospect Bagwell for Larry Anderson. Still, the Bagwell trade was made in August, Anderson was pitching well, he pitched better for Boston and they won the division. Bad trade, but some justification.

It was June, the White Sox were tanking, and Shields was having a terrible year. There was no justification for that trade.

The FO gets a do-over, one that I don't believe they earned. The dispersal phase has been fine. HOpefully they build a good team this time.

How about Doyle Alexander for John Smoltz?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 09:36 PM)

Here is a portion the updated writeup:

Tatis Jr. has all the ingredients to become an offensive force in the Majors, as his bat speed, leveraged swing and overall capacity to make adjustments all portend a future plus hitter with plus power. He proved vulnerable to spin and sequencing early in the year but tightened his approach as the season progressed en route to pacing the Midwest League with 75 walks. Many evaluators believe Tatis Jr. is merely scraping the surface of his offensive potential, as he still has considerable room to grow into his tall and athletic frame.

That larger frame doesn't currently impede Tatis Jr.'s abilities at shortstop, where he makes highlight-reel plays on a daily basis thanks to his athleticism, range and rocket arm, though further physical development could ultimately force him to third base. Even if that's case, Tatis Jr.'s bat gives him the ceiling of a perennial All-Star, possibly even an MVP candidate in his prime."

I'm sort of over the trade but I hope Tatis is a teachable moment and they correct whatever caused them to mis-evaluate him so badly.

Edited by wrathofhahn

QUOTE (oldsox @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 08:18 PM)
He made a simple one sentence comment about Tatis being ranked #8. It is notable.

No more notable than Otani being #1 or any number of things you could mention about the list. It is, however, particularly annoying to continue to be reminded of the poor trade.

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 10:11 PM)
Thor and TDA for RA Dickey has got to rank up there

I can't agree with this; at a minimum, Dickey was coming off a Cy Young winning campaign when he was traded, if memory serves.

By comparison, Shields was one of the worst pitchers before he was traded. In fact, he was probably hours away from being DFA'd, if the Padres' ownership had their druthers at the time. R A Dickey for Thor hurt, but at least Dickey had arguable value, whereas Shields was and is one of the suckiest sucks that ever sucked.

This is very ironic coming from you. The one who hates prospects hates a move where they were "going for it."

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 09:37 PM)
Here is a portion the updated writeup:

Tatis Jr. has all the ingredients to become an offensive force in the Majors, as his bat speed, leveraged swing and overall capacity to make adjustments all portend a future plus hitter with plus power. He proved vulnerable to spin and sequencing early in the year but tightened his approach as the season progressed en route to pacing the Midwest League with 75 walks. Many evaluators believe Tatis Jr. is merely scraping the surface of his offensive potential, as he still has considerable room to grow into his tall and athletic frame.

That larger frame doesn't currently impede Tatis Jr.'s abilities at shortstop, where he makes highlight-reel plays on a daily basis thanks to his athleticism, range and rocket arm, though further physical development could ultimately force him to third base. Even if that's case, Tatis Jr.'s bat gives him the ceiling of a perennial All-Star, possibly even an MVP candidate in his prime."

I'm sort of over the trade but I hope Tatis is a teachable moment and they correct whatever caused them to mis-evaluate him so badly.

So they only get dinged for trading him. Apparently they don't get any credit at all for scouting him and signing him. This is exactly why people get so angry about the trading getting brought up ad naseum.