Pete Rose bet on baseball as a player

Buehrle>Wood

That is really interesting, yet not surprising at all. The only time Rose every admitted to anything was when overwhelming evidence was in his face. Then would come the crocodile tears and confession, plus a book. I am sure he will change his tune about betting as a player too, along with another tearful apology.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 02:09 PM)
I'm surprised his reinstatement got as much traction as it did. I always thought they should wait til he drops dead then reinstate. I mean the guy has a reality TV show, it's pretty clear what his reasons are. $$$

Who cares though? He has over 4,000 hits. Him not being in the HOF is dumb. Ty Cobb and many other terrible humans are in. So stupid.

m glad Rose isnt in the HOF and now this will seal his fate. He lied for 15 years and then comes "clean" when he was about to release a book. At the very least IMO, he should've had to wait 15 years before being allowed to ask for reinstatement since he that is how long he carried the lie for.

Rose was an amazing ballplayer. He is also a scuzzy human who broke what may be the cardinal rule of the game, repeatedly, then lied about it, repeatedly. He doesn't deserve to be on the ground of the HOF let alone be on a ballot or voted in.

This wasn't PEDs, where I can see an argument for allowing those guys in, in some cases (though I may disagree). For all the supposed love of the game, Rose crapped on it with his choices.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 09:23 AM)
Rose was an amazing ballplayer. He is also a scuzzy human who broke what may be the cardinal rule of the game, repeatedly, then lied about it, repeatedly. He doesn't deserve to be on the ground of the HOF let alone be on a ballot or voted in.

This wasn't PEDs, where I can see an argument for allowing those guys in, in some cases (though I may disagree). For all the supposed love of the game, Rose crapped on it with his choices.

With the rest of his career as an example, I would bet Rose used PEDs as well.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 09:38 AM)
It's got major problems. Having a character clause isn't one of them, in my view.

Man I totally disagree. I want the bets players in. Not the best players who are good guys as well. Should they pull every dirtbag out of the HOF?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 09:29 AM)
The fact that he is kept out is, to me, what makes it relevant. And different from other sports.

The best hitter of the last 50 years is not in the HOF because he is disliked as a person. Meanwhile, Mike Piazza is getting voted in soon despite having broken just as many rules as Bonds. It's a joke.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 09:51 AM)
Man I totally disagree. I want the bets players in. Not the best players who are good guys as well. Should they pull every dirtbag out of the HOF?

The HOF is about influence on the game. That, to me, means the total package. It does NOT mean I think you only let in perfect people, it means it is a factor just like any other. Jeter is a HOF'er, despite being a mediocre defender.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 09:56 AM)
The best hitter of the last 50 years is not in the HOF because he is disliked as a person. Meanwhile, Mike Piazza is getting voted in soon despite having broken just as many rules as Bonds. It's a joke.

Do you mean Bonds or Rose? In both cases, it is not about not liking them as a person. It is about how they treated baseball. And as for Piazza, I don't think his chances are much better than Bonds, but we'll see.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 04:05 PM)
Do you mean Bonds or Rose? In both cases, it is not about not liking them as a person. It is about how they treated baseball. And as for Piazza, I don't think his chances are much better than Bonds, but we'll see.

I read that as absolutely referring to tetrahydrogestrinone.

• 1 month later...

I go back and forth with this myself. Pete was a heck of a baseball player. He has the most hits of anyone but he's not in the Hall? Then again he broke the rules. I personly don't like him much but....Then there's Bonds. I don't want to see him in the hall at all but he has the most Hrs. I think Bonds cheated to get his stats while Pete earned his. If it's only about stats (which I don't think it shoud be) then I think it lessens the value of being a Hall of Famer. Just my 2 cents.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 04:29 PM)
I couldn't care less as long as he bet on his own team. Dude is absolutely a scum bag but he belongs in the HoF imo.

Disagree. When you bet as often as he did it could just as easily be a tell to other gamblers when he didn't bet on the Reds.