How general manager A.J. Preller destroyed the San Diego Padres in a m

OmarComing25

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 04:52 PM)
http://grantland.com/features/aj-preller-m...al-league-west/

Ouch... I'm not a Padres fan and that was a tough article to read. I know our moves haven't worked out either but at least we don't have some of those contracts and didn't give up anyone of great talent like San Diego has. Brutal.

Just read this too. I thought our scenarios was the same, but I have no idea how hopeless I would be if we traded away a top 6 farm system and finished in last. What a tough spot.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 07:50 AM)
Just read this too. I thought our scenarios was the same, but I have no idea how hopeless I would be if we traded away a top 6 farm system and finished in last. What a tough spot.

Wow that was quite a read. How the hell does he still have a job.

Yikes.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 08:49 AM)
Wow that was quite a read. How the hell does he still have a job.

Yikes.

Padres have been a mess for a while, Preller is one in a line of bad moves for them

What a great article (duh, it's Rany — best in the biz). Sad though. Has the phrase "at least that ain't us!" ever been more apt? The Sox have done mini-versions of this — giving up prospects, draft picks and salary room for half-baked/superficial bad fits that went on to underperform — but never to this ludicrous level. Thank goodness!

Edited by Buehrlesque

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 09:24 AM)
What a great article (duh, it's Rany — best in the biz). Sad though. Has the phrase "at least that ain't us!" ever been more apt? The Sox have done mini-versions of this — giving up prospects, draft picks and salary room for half-baked/superficial bad fits that went on to underperform — but never to this ludicrous level. Thank goodness!

Right.

Outside of getting Shark, no prospects were sacrificed and event then it was Semien (at position where they had, at the time, two seemingly MLB ready players), Bassitt (a swingman), Phegley (AAAA catcher) and Ravelo (spent time injured). If the Sox (somehow) get back into contention and Shark helps with a push, it works. It looks like they'll be able to get some nice prospects in this seller's market if they don't.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 09:32 AM)
Right.

Outside of getting Shark, no prospects were sacrificed and event then it was Semien (at position where they had, at the time, two seemingly MLB ready players), Bassitt (a swingman), Phegley (AAAA catcher) and Ravelo (spent time injured). If the Sox (somehow) get back into contention and Shark helps with a push, it works. It looks like they'll be able to get some nice prospects in this seller's market if they don't.

I kind of meant "historically speaking" more than just this year — trading good prospects for Swisher to play out of position in CF and then underperform, trading good prospects for Edwin Jackson (big contract relative to his stats in Arizona), giving up draft picks for older FAs who disappoint, bringing in an expensive closer when they're an organization known for developing cheaper, effective alternatives (Robertson vs. the Jenks/Santos/Reed/Jones template), etc. None of those things worked out well, but none of them were out-and-out disasters like what happened to the Padres.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 09:42 AM)
I kind of meant "historically speaking" more than just this year — trading good prospects for Swisher to play out of position in CF and then underperform, trading good prospects for Edwin Jackson (big contract relative to his stats in Arizona), giving up draft picks for older FAs who disappoint, bringing in an expensive closer when they're an organization known for developing cheaper, effective alternatives (Robertson vs. the Jenks/Santos/Reed/Jones template), etc. None of those things worked out well, but none of them were out-and-out disasters like what happened to the Padres.

Imagine all of those happening in a single season, though!

Worst of all, trading Trea Turner, only to not have a pick until the 3rd round, so basically they've emptied the top of their farm and did not replenish with top talent for 2 straight years.

While I appreciate this I would of appreciated an article like this if he called it before the disaster took place. It is really easy to look back in retrospect and criticize but mostly everyone was hailing their off season moves just as they did with the Sox.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 04:03 PM)
While I appreciate this I would of appreciated an article like this if he called it before the disaster took place. It is really easy to look back in retrospect and criticize but mostly everyone was hailing their off season moves just as they did with the Sox.

The writer did say he picked SD as his flop pick for this season, but you are right, I can't recall anyone calling for a team this bad in San Diego.

"He equated name recognition with talent and paid the price. "

yep, I think Preller set the world record for hero-worship.

And a tale of the perils of hero worship.

A lot of posters hereon were pining for Upton and Kemp.

Edited by GreenSox

Interesting article.

The biggest lesson learned has less to do with acquiring big name players and more to do with Preller's lack of focus on the unique characteristics of his home ballpark. There is a huge diversity there (less than their once was, however) and he failed to capitalize on it. In fact, he reversed it.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 04:21 PM)
"He equated name recognition with talent and paid the price. "

yep, I think Preller set the world record for hero-worship.

And a tale of the perils of hero worship.

A lot of posters hereon were pining for Upton and Kemp.

To be fair, the popular trade for Kemp involved Danks :)

Just another example of modern baseball, teams spending zillions of dollars for no reason. So they sign Shields and two months after having him need to get rid of him. Baseball is run by a bunch of morons, but nobody seems to agree with me. It's going to be the same whomever signs Shark next year for 20 mill a year. Shortly after signing him, we'll be hearing about the team being stuck with him. Hilarious.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 02:35 PM)
Just another example of modern baseball, teams spending zillions of dollars for no reason. So they sign Shields and two months after having him need to get rid of him. Baseball is run by a bunch of morons, but nobody seems to agree with me. It's going to be the same whomever signs Shark next year for 20 mill a year. Shortly after signing him, we'll be hearing about the team being stuck with him. Hilarious.

Look at all of those moron billionaires owning teams and moron millionaires running teams and moron millionaires playing the game. Those guys dont know how to do anything