The Luck Factor: 2017 White Sox

Jack Parkman

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 11, 2017 -> 03:31 PM)
I’m just waiting for a picture of you eating your Italian Beef

No, no...that wasn't the bet...the bet was that I would buy Joe 5 italian beefs from Portillo's if he won, or that he would get his butt into shape if I won.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 11, 2017 -> 05:52 PM)
No, no...that wasn't the bet...the bet was that I would buy Joe 5 italian beefs from Portillo's if he won, or that he would get his butt into shape if I won.

Lol! I thought it was IBs both ways

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 11, 2017 -> 05:27 PM)
I wonder how Joe is doing with his workout regimen....

Last time he successfully completed his workout regime he came up with the nickname "HoT FiRe" when his endorphins were at their peak. I'd imagine we can expect a nickname or two of that magnitude by the end of the regimen.

Well this just illustrates to me how important it is to have a complete understanding of batted ball metrics and why I usually argue with those who only use BABIP to promote their theories of "luck" .There are just too variables at play to just use BABIP to understand hitting and why being an astute observer of the the game and using your eyes and common sense tells you almost as much as metrics do. I know it's impossible to watch all players all the time so metrics have merit but unless you come armed with a complete understanding of batted ball metrics I usually rather trust my eyes , experience and observations .