Yasmani Grandal

Jose Abreu

With the emergence of Austin Barnes, it's likely that the Dodgers end up trading Grandal in the offseason. Since he'd be a free agent after the 2018 season, he'd just be here to work with the young pitchers and help us with his elite framing. I'd imagine that the price tag wouldn't be too much (we could even trade someone useful from our utility player glut, especially if they decline the option on Forsythe), and guys like Lopez, Kopech, Giolito, Fulmer, and Rodon could benefit from him. He also happens to be a close friend of Zack Collins, who may be up here by the end of the year.

As an option for only 2018 to help with our pitching staff, would he make sense?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 17, 2017 -> 03:57 PM)
I don't think the Dodgers will trade him. More than any other team in the league, they value their depth. Even if he only plays 60 or 80 games, that'll be worth it to them.

So we start this proposal with Narvaez to allow them to maintain depth, and then add in something of nonzero but not huge value in addition? Probably have to be something from the lower minors, like a recent 3rd or 4th round pick or something like that?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 17, 2017 -> 04:29 PM)
So we start this proposal with Narvaez to allow them to maintain depth, and then add in something of nonzero but not huge value in addition? Probably have to be something from the lower minors, like a recent 3rd or 4th round pick or something like that?

I agree with the quoted poster, when have Dodgers cared about having a glut of position players? I just don't see them getting any benefit out of spreading themselves out when Grandal > Narvaez and they'll just use the 10 day DL to make it work.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 17, 2017 -> 03:56 PM)
If it involves trading any assets, I am going to say no.

And any team would be stupid to not ask the Sox to overpay. Hahn stood firm, and GM's are going to return the favor. I'd take a hard pass on Grandal. Let Narvaez and Smith continue to split time or sign a FA and hope to catch catch lightning in a bottle for the deadline.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Oct 17, 2017 -> 04:45 PM)
And any team would be stupid to not ask the Sox to overpay. Hahn stood firm, and GM's are going to return the favor. I'd take a hard pass on Grandal. Let Narvaez and Smith continue to split time or sign a FA and hope to catch catch lightning in a bottle for the deadline.

I am going to guess the White Sox bring in another 4A catcher as a stop gap to add to the competition. I wouldn't be shocked if they went back to Gio Soto with another MiLB deal for about a million or so, and let him know that he is #3 on the depth chart and would need to beat someone out to be on the 25 man roster.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 17, 2017 -> 05:23 PM)
He'd be much better for our pitching prospects than Narvaez/Smith

And it takes time away from Narvaez to work with those pitchers so they learn and grow together. Narvaez will be around beyond one more season, Grandal will not. Plus, what would one year of Grandal cost? Won't be cheap. I'm actually curious to see what another season from Narvaez will bring. He's not bad defensively and has a good eye at the plate, oh and only 25.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 17, 2017 -> 05:24 PM)
I understand how good his framing is, but do you really think it adds ~2.5 to his WAR?

http://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/card/card.php?id=65870

I was just going by his WARP, which is the only one that includes framing. The last three years he's been worth 4.8, 6.6 and 4.6 WAR by this metric.

EDIT: Not that I necessarily agree that his framing adds that much, but even if it is exaggerated the point still remains that he's a well above-average catcher.

Edited by OmarComing25

If you rank catchers by OBP with a minimum of .295 PAs, Omar has the fifth highest OBP.

Considering he's should really be in AAA based on his timeline and that the White Sox turned Flowers into a stellar pitch framer, I'm ok with rolling with Narvaez and simply hope he learns to frame better.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 17, 2017 -> 05:35 PM)
And it takes time away from Narvaez to work with those pitchers so they learn and grow together. Narvaez will be around beyond one more season, Grandal will not. Plus, what would one year of Grandal cost? Won't be cheap. I'm actually curious to see what another season from Narvaez will bring. He's not bad defensively and has a good eye at the plate, oh and only 25.

I like Narvaez as a backup when we're contending, but he's horrendous defensively

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 17, 2017 -> 08:16 PM)
I like Narvaez as a backup when we're contending, but he's horrendous defensively

I do agree Narvaez is going to be a backup but one season of Grandal means he will not be around for the next Sox contender. Let Narvaez and the Sox pitchers take their lumps next year. It's part of the rebuild process.