Cold Stove - Free Agents Still on the table

he gone.

As I think all us baseball fans who frequent a message board in January know, this has been an extremely slow offseason with almost no activity out there. This is the kind of offseason I hope next year is like when we are step closer to competing, because at this point one can probably pick up some really nice pieces that can contribute.

I know it's unlikely the Sox will add for two reasons. A) they want to know what they have and let their own guys like a Tilson or Cordell play it out. See what Yolmer can do again in 2018, Leury, etc. Plus we are full on our 40 man. b) why add payroll to a team that is very likely not to make the playoffs?

However below are some names I've compiled that I'd be interested in kicking the tires on for either the reason to flip them. Or, possibly on a 2-3 year deal to where they might be able to help us make a run in 2019 or 2020.

Eduardo Nunez - I think you can nab a guy like this on a 2-3 year deal. He can play 3B, spell Anderson, Moncada, play in the OF. Basically all over the place. He also can steal bases and hit for average. You say Leury, I say Eduardo. Davidson is not the 3B of the future. Yolmer is fine and well as a utility guy. I'd pickup Nunez and slot him in at 3B. You can rotate him as necessary to get looks for the guys you want. He's a nice insurance plan if a Machado or other big name doesn't sign with us at 3B. He is also insurance in the OF and at SS in case of a trade or injury. If we do end up signing a Machado he slots in a super UTIL. I see very little downside.

Jonathan Lucroy - This really isn't on my list NOW. However, and this is just my opinion, I'd rather have signed him than Castillo. Who knows how that will play out. I just think Lucroy has a better chance of being something special again.

Jon Jay - If nothing else he's a good filler. I want to see Tilson and Cordell along with the others too. Jon Jay isn't exciting. If nothing else a small one year deal and flip him for some low end prospect to a contender in June/July.

Melky - Poor mans Jon Jay. Not sure he really serves a role anymore. Hes probably stealing AB's from Tilson, Cordell and Nicky. So not a huge advocate here. But in the right role and at the right cost? Who knows. You could probably pick him up for $2-3mm

Tillman - Can never have enough fliers at pitcher. I don't care about Shields. He's as much dead weight as was Johnny Danks.

Bucholz - in the same light.. why not?

Lastly, I would CONSIDER, not advocate for looking into Alex Cobb, Lynn or JD Martinez. I get it's pissing away money this year. But if you can get them at a HIGHLY discounted price? You saw it with the Astros and Cubs among other teams over the past few years.. it doesn't take a whole bunch to go from a young team to a WC contender. In a perfect world Eloy and Kopech come up this year and progress to real contributors ala Judge or Severino (just used those comps cause both were on the same team). If Moncada takes steps forward? You upgraded Catcher. You have Abreu still. Throw in a healthy Rodon and Hansen, etc, etc. Giolito, Lopez...

It's not out of the question that we take a big step forward in 2019. So if you can get a JD for 5 years... or if the Lynn and Cobb market is not what it should be? You throw away a bit of money this year.. but you never know. Just for s***s and giggles.. lets say JD..

Going into 2019.

DH - JD

RF - Eloy

CF - Leury/Tilson/Cordell/Engel/FA Signing

LF - Avi

1B - Abreu

2B - Moncada

SS - Anderson

3B - Nunez

C - Castillo

UTIL - Leury/Yolmer/Nicky

Pitching - Rodon, Kopech, Giolito, Hansen, Lopez.

So although you'd piss away a year of JD? Again, not advocating for it, just kind of pointing out that we are an Eloy, Kopech, and Hansen + 1 year from really being a player away from competing seriously. So although this may seem like a dumb time to be involved in FA, with how its progressing, it may actually be a great time.

I'll hang up and listen.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't see anyone on the market today whose skillset can't be bought every year. So why not buy a 2-win player like Nunez when you actually need those two wins? Otherwise you're just hoping he doesn't decline much between now and the competitive years, and holding the bag for the salary either way.

I'm definitely on board with looking for free agent opportunities in unique markets like these ones, but I think we have to be looking for upside. No matter who you sign, the only production you can be reasonably sure of is what comes in the next 12 months -- anything else is a substantial risk, and should be considered an additional "cost" of acquisition. That cost can be worth it to pay, but we need to feel like we have a good chance of getting more production than we're paying for. I just don't see any upside with Nunez/Melky/Jay types.

It's possible you could get that with Martinez, but it sounds like the Red Sox are already offering him a pretty reasonable deal, so his price floor isn't really that low.

I'm all about over rebound contracts to guys like Tillman and Buccholz, but I would think that the Gonzalez signing means those guys are still holding out for multi-year deals, because I can't believe Hahn didn't look into those guys first.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 09:50 AM)
I just don't see anyone on the market today whose skillset can't be bought every year. So why not buy a 2-win player like Nunez when you actually need those two wins? Otherwise you're just hoping he doesn't decline much between now and the competitive years, and holding the bag for the salary either way.

I'm definitely on board with looking for free agent opportunities in unique markets like these ones, but I think we have to be looking for upside. No matter who you sign, the only production you can be reasonably sure of is what comes in the next 12 months -- anything else is a substantial risk, and should be considered an additional "cost" of acquisition. That cost can be worth it to pay, but we need to feel like we have a good chance of getting more production than we're paying for. I just don't see any upside with Nunez/Melky/Jay types.

It's possible you could get that with Martinez, but it sounds like the Red Sox are already offering him a pretty reasonable deal, so his price floor isn't really that low.

I'm all about over rebound contracts to guys like Tillman and Buccholz, but I would think that the Gonzalez signing means those guys are still holding out for multi-year deals, because I can't believe Hahn didn't look into those guys first.

Good points.. I didn't think of the aspect of that these type of players are available every year. I still like Nunez, but can see with his injury history (hamstrings a lot if I remember) that if you zap his speed a bit, and combine his age, he can go from a really really nice UTIL and 3B fill in to just dead weight quickly. If you could get him on a 1 year deal I'd still consider though. I think he has flip ability.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 10:23 AM)
As I think all us baseball fans who frequent a message board in January know, this has been an extremely slow offseason with almost no activity out there. This is the kind of offseason I hope next year is like when we are step closer to competing, because at this point one can probably pick up some really nice pieces that can contribute.

I know it's unlikely the Sox will add for two reasons. A) they want to know what they have and let their own guys like a Tilson or Cordell play it out. See what Yolmer can do again in 2018, Leury, etc. Plus we are full on our 40 man. b) why add payroll to a team that is very likely not to make the playoffs?

However below are some names I've compiled that I'd be interested in kicking the tires on for either the reason to flip them. Or, possibly on a 2-3 year deal to where they might be able to help us make a run in 2019 or 2020.

Eduardo Nunez - I think you can nab a guy like this on a 2-3 year deal. He can play 3B, spell Anderson, Moncada, play in the OF. Basically all over the place. He also can steal bases and hit for average. You say Leury, I say Eduardo. Davidson is not the 3B of the future. Yolmer is fine and well as a utility guy. I'd pickup Nunez and slot him in at 3B. You can rotate him as necessary to get looks for the guys you want. He's a nice insurance plan if a Machado or other big name doesn't sign with us at 3B. He is also insurance in the OF and at SS in case of a trade or injury. If we do end up signing a Machado he slots in a super UTIL. I see very little downside.

Jonathan Lucroy - This really isn't on my list NOW. However, and this is just my opinion, I'd rather have signed him than Castillo. Who knows how that will play out. I just think Lucroy has a better chance of being something special again.

Jon Jay - If nothing else he's a good filler. I want to see Tilson and Cordell along with the others too. Jon Jay isn't exciting. If nothing else a small one year deal and flip him for some low end prospect to a contender in June/July.

Melky - Poor mans Jon Jay. Not sure he really serves a role anymore. Hes probably stealing AB's from Tilson, Cordell and Nicky. So not a huge advocate here. But in the right role and at the right cost? Who knows. You could probably pick him up for $2-3mm

Tillman - Can never have enough fliers at pitcher. I don't care about Shields. He's as much dead weight as was Johnny Danks.

Lastly, I would CONSIDER, not advocate for looking into Alex Cobb, Lynn or JD Martinez. I get it's pissing away money this year. But if you can get them at a HIGHLY discounted price? You saw it with the Astros and Cubs among other teams over the past few years.. it doesn't take a whole bunch to go from a young team to a WC contender. In a perfect world Eloy and Kopech come up this year and progress to real contributors ala Judge or Severino (just used those comps cause both were on the same team). If Moncada takes steps forward? You upgraded Catcher. You have Abreu still. Throw in a healthy Rodon and Hansen, etc, etc. Giolito, Lopez...

It's not out of the question that we take a big step forward in 2019. So if you can get a JD for 5 years... or if the Lynn and Cobb market is not what it should be? You throw away a bit of money this year.. but you never know. Just for s***s and giggles.. lets say JD..

Going into 2019.

DH - JD

RF - Eloy

LF - Avi

1B - Abreu

2B - Moncada

SS - Anderson

3B - Nunez

C - Castillo

So although you'd piss away a year of JD? Again, not advocating for it, just kind of pointing out that we are an Eloy, Kopech, and Hansen + 1 year from really being a player away from competing seriously. So although this may seem like a dumb time to be involved in FA, with how its progressing, it may actually be a great time.

I'll hang up and listen.

Starting pitching is the biggest need. Could use at least one maybe two more starters. Brett Anderson. Tillman. Buchholz. Liriano. Those would be the names I'd be paying attention to.

My guess is they don't want to burn a year of service time with Hansen or Kopech. Shields maybe completely done. We'll have to see but his stuff has taken a huge step back over the last several years. His FB now sits mainly under 90MPH. Rondon isn't likely to be ready. Miguel is a guy who got through last year mainly on smoke and mirrors. Lopez and Giolito are really the only two guys healthy with non fringy stuff.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 09:23 AM)

Going into 2019.

DH - JD

RF - Eloy

LF - Avi

1B - Abreu

2B - Moncada

SS - Anderson

3B - Nunez

C - Castillo

I'll hang up and listen.

Meh, Nunez doesn't do anything for me. I'd rather let our young guys play and learn than signing mediocre guys.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 12:28 PM)
2018 should be the year of letting the kids play.

Why not see what they can do?

Why saddle yourself with an aging free agent and a big payroll when only 15-20k come out to games at times?

Worth adding beyond that - we have plenty of kids to play. Counting the Mutant OF at AA, we have more guys than we have positions for right now. We've got 5-6 OFs who will be playing this year, 2 1b/DH guys, 5 guys around the IF (not counting Leury), 3 catchers.

I could be talked into another starting pitcher under one of those "If you don't make the big league roster you get your release on opening day" kinda deals, but that's not going to be the kind of contract Tillman gets. Maybe one of the lesser guys like Buchholz, who is older and an extra year removed from his last decent season. I really don't think I want a guy on a full year contract, if something blows up mid-season there's nothing wrong with calling a guy up early or hunting on the waiver wire.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 11:03 AM)
Good points.. I didn't think of the aspect of that these type of players are available every year. I still like Nunez, but can see with his injury history (hamstrings a lot if I remember) that if you zap his speed a bit, and combine his age, he can go from a really really nice UTIL and 3B fill in to just dead weight quickly. If you could get him on a 1 year deal I'd still consider though. I think he has flip ability.

Definitely like Nunez much better on a one-year deal. Let the kids try to take the job from him.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 10:28 AM)

Why saddle yourself with an aging free agent and a big payroll when only 15-20k come out to games at times?

For my two cents, it is about accumulating assets at this point. You don't want to block your "guys" but at the same time if you can find a way to create more depth and quality in the minors, you have to explore that road. For example, if we took on a good chunk of Ellsbury's salary, and the Yankees were willing to send us a guy like Andujar, we should be willing to do it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 01:50 PM)
For my two cents, it is about accumulating assets at this point. You don't want to block your "guys" but at the same time if you can find a way to create more depth and quality in the minors, you have to explore that road. For example, if we took on a good chunk of Ellsbury's salary, and the Yankees were willing to send us a guy like Andujar, we should be willing to do it.

If you can get a high value asset sure, that's a reasonable move, but what's more likely to turn into an asset for us - paying out money for Nunez for 1-2 years, or playing a guy like Sanchez who was a better performer last year than Nunez was and who was a better performer than Nunez was at the same age?

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 08:28 AM)

Indeed... see the sig:

At this point, the only area I would consider FA signing is pitching. Pitching on short term contracts (assuming they are performing moderately well) can always be flipped at the deadline. Disappointed the Sox didn't make a play for Reed considering what he signed for. Could be a solid trade chip at either this or next year's deadline, especially if he were tasked with closing.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 02:13 PM)
At this point, the only area I would consider FA signing is pitching. Pitching on short term contracts (assuming they are performing moderately well) can always be flipped at the deadline. Disappointed the Sox didn't make a play for Reed considering what he signed for. Could be a solid trade chip at either this or next year's deadline, especially if he were tasked with closing.

At this point, Soria is the closer until someone takes the job from him, and I'm totally ok with that. No reason to sign another reliever this year - if we can develop a couple from our system that makes us a lot better in 2019, and we could darn well find another "Soria" like guy that a team has soured on to take on and that would serve us better than signing one because presumably we'd get something else for taking on the salary. There's really no reason to pay full price for a free agent on this team this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 01:18 PM)
At this point, Soria is the closer until someone takes the job from him, and I'm totally ok with that. No reason to sign another reliever this year - if we can develop a couple from our system that makes us a lot better in 2019, and we could darn well find another "Soria" like guy that a team has soured on to take on and that would serve us better than signing one because presumably we'd get something else for taking on the salary. There's really no reason to pay full price for a free agent on this team this year.

I guess that was kind of my point. It doesn't seem Reed accepted "full price" because he wanted to play in the Midwest. 2 years/$17MM for a solid reliever in his prime (be it setup guy or closer) is peanuts in this market and another flippable asset 6 months from now. The young guys will have plenty of time to prove themselves after that and into 2019...

Edit: for reference, although the Red Sox didn't trade any premier prospects for Reed last July, they did trade 3 of their top 30 prospects for him. Barring a significant decrease in performance in the first half of the season, no reason to think he couldn't return a similar package this July. Possibly even more if he proved he could successfully close over the first 4 months.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 03:24 PM)
I guess that was kind of my point. It doesn't seem Reed accepted "full price" because he wanted to play in the Midwest. 2 years/$17MM for a solid reliever in his prime (be it setup guy or closer) is peanuts in this market and another flippable asset 6 months from now. The young guys will have plenty of time to prove themselves after that and into 2019...

$8 million is a lot for me to give up for a reliever on this team for 2018 if I'm not getting another piece back along with it. That $8 million is way more useful to me next offseason.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 01:28 PM)
$8 million is a lot for me to give up for a reliever on this team for 2018 if I'm not getting another piece back along with it. That $8 million is way more useful to me next offseason.

See edit above. I think you would get another piece back (and possibly 3 pieces back). If he was traded this July, he wouldn't be on the books for next offseason anyway. What's the worst thing that could happen? He gets hurt or performs lousy and you are still stuck with him for one more season at a still reasonable rate. If his ~$8.5MM contract next season is a deal breaker in whether or not the Sox sign a guy like Machado, then this rebuild is in serious trouble.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 03:34 PM)
See edit above. I think you would get another piece back (and possibly 3 pieces back). If he was traded this July, he wouldn't be on the books for next offseason anyway. What's the worst thing that could happen? He gets hurt or performs lousy and you are still stuck with him for one more season at a still reasonable rate. If his ~$8.5MM contract next season is a deal breaker in whether or not the Sox sign a guy like Machado, then this rebuild is in serious trouble.

He shouldn't be the deal breaker in signing a guy like Machado, but like I said, I want that money to spend next offseason and that isn't just Manny. Next offseason is also when I decide how many pieces I have and need in my bullpen, and notably both Miller and Kimbrel are on the market too. The $17 million I'd give Reed would make a nice ingredient to that deal if it weren't spent.

I just don't buy the idea of signing guys to flip right now. It's just not the way I'd use either monetary resources or playing time.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 04:28 PM)

I tend to agree. Rebuilding or not I think any free agent signing should be with an eye for making us competitive. The trap we could easily fall into is to abandon the plan and and go for it now. Don’t waste t money on filling in with a free agent who is just here for a year. In addition just who do we really need

The upside to Reed is not high enough to offset the risk.

Go back to guys like Kahnle or Swarzak, dealt to the Brewers who was pretty pedestrian with Minnesota, etc. it’s not like when we paid through the teeth for Linebrink and Dotel, but it’s not really necessary either. Heck, I’d rather that we tried to fix Albuquerque, but Cooper passed on that one.

Nunez doesn’t make sense with SANCHEZ, Davidson and Leury still around. Seems like he becomes another Bonifacio or Beckham on our roster and is dumped for a meh return.

We still have to see Delmonico, Cordell, Tilson as well...plenty of young players to throw out there. Gillespie, maybe.

I’m assuming they will try to trade Kevan Smith, that deal for Castillo was kind of the outlier, which probably has more to do with pitch framing and managing a young staff than anything else. Smith is limited by the lack of power for someone that size, no matter how much he overachieved compared to low expectations entering the year.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 02:37 PM)
The upside to Reed is not high enough to offset the risk.

Go back to guys like Kahnle or Swarzak, dealt to the Brewers who was pretty pedestrian with Minnesota, etc. it’s not like when we paid through the teeth for Linebrink and Dotel, but it’s not really necessary either. Heck, I’d rather that we tried to fix Albuquerque, but Cooper passed on that one.

Nunez doesn’t make sense with SANCHEZ, Davidson and Leury still around. Seems like he becomes another Bonifacio or Beckham on our roster and is dumped for a meh return.

We still have to see Delmonico, Cordell, Tilson as well...plenty of young players to throw out there. Gillespie, maybe.

I’m assuming they will try to trade Kevan Smith, that deal for Castillo was kind of the outlier, which probably has more to do with pitch framing and managing a young staff than anything else. Smith is limited by the lack of power for someone that size, no matter how much he overachieved compared to low expectations entering the year.

I guess I'm just a Reed fan so I disagree. I also think the bullpen is still a hot mess even after accounting for the additions of Soria and Avilan. I don't think adding a guy like Reed "blocks" anyone else either. Not for the next 2 years at least.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 03:55 PM)
I guess I'm just a Reed fan so I disagree. I also think the bullpen is still a hot mess even after accounting for the additions of Soria and Avilan. I don't think adding a guy like Reed "blocks" anyone else either. Not for the next 2 years at least.
Reed is easily better than anybody the White Sox have in their bullpen now. With the young starters the team has now you would think the organization would want somebody like Reed to close out the games. As of now this 2018 White Sox bullpen is really looking bad.

The bigger question is what to do with Avi......Market seems bad for everyone, especially guys with 2 years of control or less left. I really don't think there is room for him in our future outfield. Sox don't have anyone with any sort of potential for future relevance to play CF in the Majors this year unless you think Engel may be able to hit...I don't. If they could get either Tapia or Dahl from Colorado plus a couple fliers I think I'd take it at this point, but I doubt Colorado would part with either of them. Do you trust Avi to have another good season? I don't so that is why I feel this is a dilemma.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 03:54 PM)
The bigger question is what to do with Avi......Market seems bad for everyone, especially guys with 2 years of control or less left. I really don't think there is room for him in our future outfield. Sox don't have anyone with any sort of potential for future relevance to play CF in the Majors this year unless you think Engel may be able to hit...I don't. If they could get either Tapia or Dahl from Colorado plus a couple fliers I think I'd take it at this point, but I doubt Colorado would part with either of them. Do you trust Avi to have another good season? I don't so that is why I feel this is a dilemma.

If the return isn’t there, then we have no choice but holding onto Avi. While I’m not as optimistic as others in believing that he’ll suddenly figure out how to loft the ball, I’m willing to find out if I don’t get back at least one pretty good prospect for him.