Tim Anderson signs 6 year extension

Tony

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 04:56 PM)
They could have locked Beckham up after 14 homers and 28 doubles in four months too. Glad they didn't.

I think Anderson is a good player though.

I feel better about Anderson than Beckham

An extension could prove to be a great move right now for the White Sox. It helps Anderson get paid now, but also makes sure that he is cost controlled for the foreseeable future

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 04:56 PM)
They could have locked Beckham up after 14 homers and 28 doubles in four months too. Glad they didn't.

The other side of the coin is that Chris Sale would have just hit the free agent market in the best market ever for free agents, which means no Moncada, Kopech and company to show for him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 05:02 PM)
The other side of the coin is that Chris Sale would have just hit the free agent market in the best market ever for free agents, which means no Moncada, Kopech and company to show for him.

And there is a 0% chance the Sox could have acquired Lopez, Giolitto, and Dane Dunning for Eaton if he wasn't signed to such a team friendly contract.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 09:58 PM)
I feel better about Anderson than Beckham

An extension could prove to be a great move right now for the White Sox. It helps Anderson get paid now, but also makes sure that he is cost controlled for the foreseeable future

I like Timmy Anderson, but anyone who says that they feel better about him than they did about Beckham after his rookie year is lying. I remember everyone on this board creaming in their jeans when Harold Reynolds listed him as a future HOF'er during Spring Training that next year.

QUOTE (Butter Parque @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 05:10 PM)
I like Timmy Anderson, but anyone who says that they feel better about him than they did about Beckham after his rookie year is lying. I remember everyone on this board creaming in their jeans when Harold Reynolds listed him as a future HOF'er during Spring Training that next year.

Can't argue with that.

I was comparing Sox first round shortstops (infielders) with four months of major league time. Not debating the potential value of locking up a guy early.

Anderson has some great tools and can do some things Beckham couldn't. But nobody would have blinked in 2010 if the Sox signed him to a team friendly deal.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 05:53 PM)
I am torn on this a gamble either way. Not against it though.

What's the downside though? We basically have no financial commitments after the 2018 season. We can afford a small miss if things were to go south. And honestly, with his defense alone, I don't think there's a contract we could sign him to right now that we wouldn't be able to move down the road at the very least. Again, I don't really see much risk here, but tons and tons of upside.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 05:22 PM)
Based on all the other crazy cheap deals Hahn has gotten young players to sign....

8 yrs/$60M?

;)

Seriously tho, you kinda have to take it out last 6 years for it to make sense.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 03:35 PM)
If their internal metrics (including the StatCast data) say that his defense is here to stay, then lock him up. If he's a +10 run defender (above average) at SS he could hit 260/290/410 and still be a 3 WAR player.

Yeah, I'll agree with this. I don't particularly love him as a player...and I agree with BP in saying that Beckham looked the part in re: the eye test, but if the defense suggests he's worth it, it isn't a bad gamble.

I'm a big fan of Anderson as not only does he have the tools but he's proven to me that he has the mental toughness to be a successful major leaguer. It's definitely super early to lock him up but if the Sox are sold on him the way I am then I'm all for it.

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 04:33 PM)
Was there ever a rumor about the Sox trying to lock up Beckham during his 1st year?

Maybe the Sox didn't feel as confident in the progression of Beckham like they do in Anderson..

I don't remember...I remember suggesting it as I compared what the Rays did with Longoria though :huh:

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 10:56 PM)

So they made a mistake not signing Gordon to a long term deal. If they had he would have settled down and produced

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 20, 2017 -> 06:33 PM)
Was there ever a rumor about the Sox trying to lock up Beckham during his 1st year?

Maybe the Sox didn't feel as confident in the progression of Beckham like they do in Anderson..

When did Sale sign extension? He may have been 2012 but for most part the early lockups seemed like a Hahn thing. I don't recall them under Kenny except Santos?