4/29 Games

flavum

Charlotte- 0-0, 2nd inning. Carlos Torres on the mound. His ERA is still under 1.00.

Kannapolis- Up 2-0, 6th inning. Dexter Carter putting up 0's. 6 K's.

Birmingham starts at 11:35CT. Lucas Harrell starts.

Winston-Salem starts soon. Johnnie Lowe starts. Facing pitcher J. Mariotti.

Edited by flavum

Christian "The Crusader" Marrero

Don't Call Me Eli Marrero

Well, Viciedo took a bunt when he was playing back and threw it all the way down the RF line, allowing the runner to advance to third (hit and an error), but Harrell has limited the damage by pitching it around and also picking off a BayBear when he left early trying to steal 2B with a runner on 3rd and one out.

Someone tell Harrelson there's another Yunesky (Sanchez) in baseball...although I think Betancourt on the M's has an "I" in his first name.

Beckham down to .278. Viciedo has grounded out twice, Flowers K'ed and struck out. Brandon Allen has also been quiet...just fell to .299. Flowers is down to .286.

I guess it was due to happen, as we've been playing some of the better teams in the SL like Mobile and Jacksonville.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 01:03 PM)
Looks like Beckham threw a runner out at home on a 1st and 3rd steal situation.

Nix 2-3, 2 BB. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if he's in Arlington on Friday night.

Nope...the runner was picked off leaving early from first (on a steal attempt), Harrell noticed it, they had the runner caught between first and 2nd, then the runner from 3rd broke for home and they caught him in a rundown after the throw from Gordo.

Did a pretty bad job on the rundown, the other runner got all the way to third. Thanks, Buddy Bell.

Beckham also threw a ball into the dirt that Allen bailed him out on.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 01:09 PM)
Nope...the runner was picked off leaving early from first (on a steal attempt), Harrell noticed it, they had the runner caught between first and 2nd, then the runner from 3rd broke for home and they caught him in a rundown after the throw from Gordo.

Ah. I misread the description.

Harrell, with the sinker/slider combo, has given up 6 hits in 4 innings but has walked a tightrope and managed to avoid giving up a run so far.

Didn't realize his first start in AA was all the way back in 2006.

BOOO-YAH.

CJ "Don't Call me Ray Liotta" Retherford rips one way out of the stadium (3rd) onto BayBear Mountain, waking up some cubs from hibernation (hopefully they return to their dens and don't spread swine flu amongst the thousands of kids at the stadium making so much noise you can't hear the announcers clearly).

Beckham with an RBI double with two outs (yeah, we can hit to the opposite field gap) and Robert "Moscow on the Hudson" scored all the way from first....Shelby III had reached b4 Hudson hit into a FC.

Flowers powers one off the AAA sign and scores Beckham from 2nd. Double. 3-0 lead for the Red Barons.

Barons "very explosive" team. Thanks for that insight, BayBeats tools.

Allen hits a ball so hard that Flowers can't score from 2nd.

1st and 3rd, two outs. El tanque Cubano up.

Viciedo LACES a double to LF and plates two runs. 5-0. Roll Tide. That's seven hits since Sunday from Dayan, all the way up to .239.

Edited by caulfield12

I just noticed that Christian Marrero and his 1st round draft-pick brother are both playing in the Carolina League this year.

And Christian is outhitting him by about 100 points right now. Nice.

A little sibling rivalry fueling his batting surge maybe? :)

Just got back from the game. Viciedo's error came when he charged in on the ball and threw the ball while stumbling. He probably wouldn't have had the runner regardless. At one point Mobile had a runner on first trying to steal. It was an obvious hit and run, so Beckham ran to cover 2nd on the steal and the ball went right to were he was originally positioned. Not really well done. Allen can absolutely fly. Scored from 1st on a double. Flowers has a very effortless swing, but still gets a ton of power. Shelby's hr was a monster. Landed over the hill. Let me know if you guys want other observations.

And yeah the pickoff was not handled all that well. On the other hand, in the two games I went to Barons pitchers have managed 2 pickoffs and caught another stealing.

BayBear Ricardo Sosa is having a great start. Keep an eye on him.