2016 Fantasy Baseball Official Thread

First off, I apologize if there's already a thread about this, but I didn't see one, so I decided to make another.

With that being said, fantasy baseball is very enjoyable to me. I didn't start playing it until last season, but I got hooked on it immediately. I joined 2 leagues and I won the championship in both of them. Since baseball is coming up relatively soon (woo!!! :)), I figured that it could be a cool idea to make a discussion thread for anyone else that plays.

I am currently in the 2nd year of a dynasty league, and here is my roster.

Does anyone want to take a minute to critique my team? Any feedback is welcome. Thanks.

C - Buster Posey

1B - Edwin Encarnacion and Greg Bird

2B - Dustin Pedroia

SS - Addison Russell and Yunel Escobar

3B - Kyle Seager and Stephen Piscotty

OF - Matt Kemp, Adam Eaton, Christian Yelich, and Ender Inciarte

SP - Chris Sale, David Price, Madison Bumgarner, Cole Hamels, Jose Quintana, Wei-Yin Chen, Daniel Norris, and Brandon Finnegan

RP - Jonathan Papelbon, Huston Street, A.J. Ramos, and Glen Perkins

I think pitching is my strong suit, as well as catcher and first base. I have the 5th pick in the draft and I'm thinking of taking Carson Fulmer. Is that a smart idea?

I'm looking forward to seeing if anyone else enjoys this and hopefully we can create a nice discussion thread here. Thanks. :)

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your pitching is elite, but your offense can be better. Other than EE and Posey, it's a lot of "meh" guys. I would try to get a high-upside outfielder. That seems like the easiest place to make a big difference. It's also a potential sore spot since Kemp is a wildcard and Eaton may not put up the same caliber of fantasy stats.

I wouldn't invest too much in pitching going forward. You already have 3 studs and a couple other solid guys. Eventually, you run into diminishing returns. It's also generally a good idea to invest heavily in hitting because it's harder to find impact bats in FA and you don't get as many crippling arm injuries.

It's hard to say what to do in the draft without knowing what players are eligible. Even if it's just players that have never been in the majors, there should be better options to contribute this season.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 15, 2016 -> 09:17 PM)
Your pitching is elite, but your offense can be better. Other than EE and Posey, it's a lot of "meh" guys. I would try to get a high-upside outfielder. That seems like the easiest place to make a big difference. It's also a potential sore spot since Kemp is a wildcard and Eaton may not put up the same caliber of fantasy stats.

I wouldn't invest too much in pitching going forward. You already have 3 studs and a couple other solid guys. Eventually, you run into diminishing returns. It's also generally a good idea to invest heavily in hitting because it's harder to find impact bats in FA and you don't get as many crippling arm injuries.

It's hard to say what to do in the draft without knowing what players are eligible. Even if it's just players that have never been in the majors, there should be better options to contribute this season.

Thank you so much for the reply! I appreciate it.

I should've been more clear about who is still available to be drafted. Here are the best remaining outfielders that I'd be able to draft.

image.jpg1_zps5byz6anw.jpg

It's a pretty picked over list (as this is a 12 team league), but Khris Davis is kind of intriguing to me. He's still fairly young and has some decent pop. Do you see any potential in him? A lot of my outfielders are solid hitters for average, but none of them have a ton of pop. Davis could bring some balance I suppose.

I'm going into my 2nd season in a keeper league with some good friends that are really dedicated. We did an auction draft with a salary cap at 275. Once you draft a player for that given amount of money, you can choose to release him at the end of the year or sign him to an extension.

Example, I drafted Harper for $24, so I'm extending him 10 years which will be 28 in year 1, 31 in year 2, 34 in year 3, 36 in year 4, 37 in year 5 and a dollar increments after that.

We also have a a draft at the beginning of June (3 players). However, you don't get to keep these players. You do get their rights for the next draft. Say someone drafts someone for $5, you could steal him from that team.

I'm currently keeping Freddie Freeman, Bryce Harper, Giancarlo Stanton, Starling Marte, Carlos Carrasco, Carlos Martinez, and Danny Salazar. I have the rights to Maikel Franco, Fransico Lindor, Eduardo Rodriguez, Steven Matz, Lance McCullers and Stephen Vogt.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 16, 2016 -> 10:24 PM)
I'm going into my 2nd season in a keeper league with some good friends that are really dedicated. We did an auction draft with a salary cap at 275. Once you draft a player for that given amount of money, you can choose to release him at the end of the year or sign him to an extension.

Example, I drafted Harper for $24, so I'm extending him 10 years which will be 28 in year 1, 31 in year 2, 34 in year 3, 36 in year 4, 37 in year 5 and a dollar increments after that.

We also have a a draft at the beginning of June (3 players). However, you don't get to keep these players. You do get their rights for the next draft. Say someone drafts someone for $5, you could steal him from that team.

I'm currently keeping Freddie Freeman, Bryce Harper, Giancarlo Stanton, Starling Marte, Carlos Carrasco, Carlos Martinez, and Danny Salazar. I have the rights to Maikel Franco, Fransico Lindor, Eduardo Rodriguez, Steven Matz, Lance McCullers and Stephen Vogt.

Thanks for the post!

I've never been in an auction league myself, but it sounds like a lot of fun.

Just from a keeper standpoint, I'd definitely try to hold onto Freeman, Harper, Stanton, Martinez, Carrasco, Lindor, Rodriguez, Matz, and McCullers.

If you can keep all those guys, that's a hell of a core.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 17, 2016 -> 11:57 AM)
Thanks for the post!

I've never been in an auction league myself, but it sounds like a lot of fun.

Just from a keeper standpoint, I'd definitely try to hold onto Freeman, Harper, Stanton, Martinez, Carrasco, Lindor, Rodriguez, Matz, and McCullers.

If you can keep all those guys, that's a hell of a core.

I'm definitely keeping Freeman, Harper, Stanton, Martinez, Marte, and Carrasco. I plan on "stealing" Lindor, Rodriguez, Matz, and McCullers since I have their rights.

It's definitely fun because players contracts dictate their value. Like, I had Stroman for $1, I had people texting me constantly asking what the price would be for him.

It's probably a little early for this thread to get a ton of activity. I joined a really active/fun 12-team 8x8 league (standard plus walks, K's and OPS for hitters and L, QS, K/BB for pitchers) and we don't even pick our divisions/draft order for another month.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

• 2 weeks later...

So I ended up trading Eaton for Hunter Pence and a draft pick, as well as trading Yunel Escobar for a draft pick.

My team as it stands now:

C - Buster Posey

1B - Edwin Encarnacion and Greg Bird

2B - Dustin Pedroia

SS - Addison Russell

3B - Kyle Seager and Stephen Piscotty

OF - Matt Kemp, Hunter Pence, Christian Yelich, and Ender Inciarte

SP - Chris Sale, David Price, Madison Bumgarner, Cole Hamels, Jose Quintana, Wei-Yin Chen, Daniel Norris, and Brandon Finnegan

I have a ton of draft picks to work with, and hopefully I can draft a stud minor league outfielder and second baseman.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 09:37 AM)
Uh... yikes.

It's a keeper league, with extensions and what not. It's a pretty complex league I'm in. I wasn't going to extend Quintana, I was gonna franchise tag Carraso (but then I acquired Strasburg), and I wanted to sell Matz on his high (I still have the rights to McCullers and Eduardo Rodriguez).

I just traded 2 draft picks for Masahiro Tanaka and dropped Greg Bird, as he'll be out for the season.

My team:

C - Buster Posey

1B - Edwin Encarnacion

2B - Dustin Pedroia

SS - Addison Russell

3B - Kyle Seager

OF - Matt Kemp, Hunter Pence, Christian Yelich, Ender Inciarte, and Stephen Piscotty

SP - Chris Sale, David Price, Madison Bumgarner, Cole Hamels, Masahiro Tanaka, Jose Quintana, Wei-Yin Chen, Daniel Norris, and Brandon Finnegan

My pitching staff is set for the foreseeable future, so I'm going to focus on upgrading my offense now.

Edited by ChiSoxFanMike

Traded Carlos Carrasco ($10), Jose Quintana ($8), and Steven Matz (rights) for Dee Gordon ($15)

Hate the trade upfront. Matz is a great talent to have in a keeper league (really valuable) and so are the others. But if it is such a complex keeper league and you weren't able to keep all of them, then you have to do what you have to do and Gordon at $15 seems like a great chip to have.

So my draft is about halfway done, and so far, I've drafted Dansby Swanson, Jesse Winker, Brett Lawrie, Stephen Vogt, and Alex Bregman.

C - Posey/Vogt

1B - Encarnacion/Vogt

2B - Pedroia/Lawrie

SS - Russell/Swanson/Bregman

3B - Seager/Lawrie

OF - Kemp/Pence/Inciarte/Piscotty/Yelich/Winker

SP - Sale/Price/Bumgarner/Hamels/Tanaka/Quintana/Chen/Finnegan/Norris

RP - Papelbon/Ramos/Street/Perkins

Where else do you guys think I could improve my team? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Your pitching staff has to be one of the best in the league.

your hitting leaves much to be desired, but that's not to say it's bad. You have some quality players, it's just overall more average then what I'd want.

Overall, a team that I'd expect to compete.

Posey gives you an advantage in C over all teams.

Solid infield depth (like Seager)

and while your OF isn't strong, it has depth. I dont like Kemp, but I like Yelich, Incirante, Piscotty, and Pence. But I like them all as more OF3 / 4 type players.

I just traded a draft pick for Shawn Tolleson. Here is my updated roster.

C - Posey/Vogt

1B - Encarnacion/Vogt/Bell

2B - Pedroia/Lawrie

SS - Russell/Escobar/Swanson/Bregman

3B - Seager/Lawrie

OF - Kemp/Pence/Inciarte/Piscotty/Yelich/Escobar/Winker

SP - Sale/Price/Bumgarner/Hamels/Tanaka/Quintana/Chen/Finnegan/Norris

RP - Papelbon/Ramos/Street/Perkins/Tolleson

I have 3 minor league draft picks left. Which positions would you try to upgrade at if you were me?

Edited by ChiSoxFanMike