40-man roster decisions and the Rule 5 Draft

NorthSideSox72

Y2Jimmy0 dives into the decisions facing the White Sox between now and Thursday. Any eligible minor leaguers they want to protect from the Rule 5 Draft must be added to the 40-man before then, or be exposed to the December draft. And there are a number of prospects worth noting that will need protection.

Get all the info here.

Who do you think the Sox should protect?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Add Jimenez, Guerrero, Peter, Gillaspie and Adolfo.

Remove: Hanson, May, Putnam, Infante, Beck and Alburquerque.

6 spots open. Would consider a few others for sure. Adolfo very unlikely to get taken, but I am OK removing any doubt. He needs to keep guys like him in our system.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 10, 2017 -> 06:00 PM)
Add Jimenez, Guerrero, Peter, Gillaspie and Adolfo.

Remove: Hanson, May, Putnam, Infante, Beck and Alburquerque.

6 spots open. Would consider a few others for sure. Adolfo very unlikely to get taken, but I am OK removing any doubt. He needs to keep guys like him in our system.

I agree with this. Maybe it’s a 1-2% chance he gets taken, but a rebuilding team shouldn’t take that risk with a talent like Adolfo, especially when we have the roster space. I also think Jimmy is right and Clark will be added.

Due to the number of rebuilders, there is a bigger risk to losing some of these guys. They can be stashed on the roster if teams aren't expecting to win anyway. The Sox did it last year with a pitcher who barely pitched above A Ball - and our eligibles had at at least the credentials he did.

2 of the 3 players from Yanks were Rule 5 eligible and still in the low minors - Yankees knew what they were doing.

Keep: clark, Jimenez, Guerrero, Peter, Polo, Adolpho, Clarkin, Cooper, Walsh

Keep either Hayes or Gillaspie. I like Lechich, but I'd chance it.

That's 10 spots and need 5 openings. Not a problem.

Dump: Albequerque, Farquar, Petricka, Beck, Covey

If they need more room, dump Fry, and combination of May, Hansen, W Garcia. I suppose they could dump Putnam, but he's actually been a good pitcher

They may need a couple of spots for veteran arms; but Minaya and Infante (both of whom pitched pretty darn well last year) can fill that role.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 11, 2017 -> 08:54 AM)
Due to the number of rebuilders, there is a bigger risk to losing some of these guys. They can be stashed on the roster if teams aren't expecting to win anyway. The Sox did it last year with a pitcher who barely pitched above A Ball - and our eligibles had at at least the credentials he did.

2 of the 3 players from Yanks were Rule 5 eligible and still in the low minors - Yankees knew what they were doing.

If they need more room, dump Fry, and combination of May, Hansen, W Garcia. I suppose they could dump Putnam, but he's actually been a good pitcher

They may need a couple of spots for veteran arms; but Minaya and Infante (both of whom pitched pretty darn well last year) can fill that role.

Agreed totally. However, keep Gillaspie.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 11, 2017 -> 07:54 AM)

Hayes was left exposed last year. After the season he just had there's no reason to even talk about him when discussing the 40 man

There was some question about the exact date that MLB teams need to protect players by. It's actually Monday for the deadline. Sometime between now and then, the Sox will make their moves.

Here's what I would do:

DFA: Alen Hanson, Danny Farquhar, Al Alburquerque, Chris Beck, Juan Minaya (makes the roster 30)

ADD: Jimenez, Peter, Guerrero, Gillaspie, Adolfo, Clarkin, Polo, Clark (makes the roster 38)

Leaves two slots open for Rule 5 or waiver claims as needed. I'd consider not adding Walsh maybe, but I think he's low claim risk and not a big loss. Clarkin and Adolfo are low risk for claim but real prospects and I wouldn't take the chance.

That all said, Sox usually add fewer prospects than you'd think they would, and keep more of the filler arms.

EDITED TO ADD BRIAN CLARK

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 03:43 PM)
If you believe the tweet from this morning, Micker is not being added.

Yeah you mean the Hahn quote? That seemed to be the case, but nothing official. Hard to say. He'd be hard to keep on an MLB roster for a year, but maybe worth the risk for $100k? I don't know.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 15, 2017 -> 03:45 PM)
Yeah you mean the Hahn quote? That seemed to be the case, but nothing official. Hard to say. He'd be hard to keep on an MLB roster for a year, but maybe worth the risk for $100k? I don't know.

Yeah I don't think anyone would take him just for him to sit on the bench for majority of a season. With pitchers, it's easier to hide them in the bullpen since you can pick and choose their spots a lot easier.

I feel like Hahn is waiting until the last minute to make the changes so that hopefully the other teams have their rosters set and we can sneak some guys through waivers.

If you assume Eloy and Jake Peter are on, it brings the roster to 38. With Vieira and the want to bring in some bullpen arms we might be able to flip, I have a feeling a lot of those guys aren't going to be on the final 40.

Also I said in another thread, I want to keep one spot open because I kind of want us to go after Nick Burdi on the Twins. He is injured and might be out for the year, so we wouldn't need to put him on the 25 this year, but he could be mlb ready and healthy for 2019, and he throws absolute gas. He would be another 80 grade fastball

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 12:38 PM)
Also I said in another thread, I want to keep one spot open because I kind of want us to go after Nick Burdi on the Twins. He is injured and might be out for the year, so we wouldn't need to put him on the 25 this year, but he could be mlb ready and healthy for 2019, and he throws absolute gas. He would be another 80 grade fastball

Nick Burdi has value though. The Twins almost got Jamie Garcia for him (while injured) this past deadline, but the Burdi portion of the deal fell through due to medicals. I think they'll trade him before they remove him from the 40 man.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 01:49 PM)
Nick Burdi has value though. The Twins almost got Jamie Garcia for him (while injured) this past deadline, but the Burdi portion of the deal fell through due to medicals. I think they'll trade him before they remove him from the 40 man.

So trade injured Burdi for injured Burdi and 2 Burdis meet Steve Stone.

See how awful this is?

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 11:36 AM)
I feel like Hahn is waiting until the last minute to make the changes so that hopefully the other teams have their rosters set and we can sneak some guys through waivers.

If you assume Eloy and Jake Peter are on, it brings the roster to 38. With Vieira and the want to bring in some bullpen arms we might be able to flip, I have a feeling a lot of those guys aren't going to be on the final 40.

There is no incentive to be the first team to make your roster moves. Hahn will wait as long as possible.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Nov 16, 2017 -> 11:36 AM)

Some will be signed to minor league deals and not on the 40.