"All of our guys" available

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 11:39 AM)

Sigh. I don't like that response at all. I think it's one thing to entertain offers for some of the young guys behind closed doors, but why would you publicly say the players you just traded for (or drafted) are available for the right offer?

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 11:18 AM)
Sigh. I don't like that response at all. I think it's one thing to entertain offers for some of the young guys behind closed doors, but why would you publicly say the players you just traded for (or drafted) are available for the right offer?

I believe it only means guy at the MLB level. I would think that is obvious.

Edited by soxfan2014

2017 draftees can't be traded right now. Also, I don't think it's dumb to say that anyone is available for the right offer. There probably won't be a "right offer" for certain players and prospects, mostly because other teams won't be willing to pay. You'd be stupid to preclude the possibility that Billy Eppler gets a TBI and offers Trout 1 for 1 for any player on the ML roster, unlikely as that may be.

Because it's the truth, and guys understand that. Most of the ones you seem to want to "protect" from this statement have already been traded. If any team is willing to overpay, everyone is available. There are no Mike Trouts currently in the White Sox organization.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 11:25 AM)
2017 draftees can't be traded right now. Also, I don't think it's dumb to say that anyone is available for the right offer. There probably won't be a "right offer" for certain players and prospects, mostly because other teams won't be willing to pay. You'd be stupid to preclude the possibility that Billy Eppler gets a TBI and offers Trout 1 for 1 for any player on the ML roster, unlikely as that may be.

I understand recent draftees cannot be traded, but anyone know the reasoning behind that? You would think that once a player signs a professional contract he is fair game to be dealt?

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 11:34 AM)
I understand recent draftees cannot be traded, but anyone know the reasoning behind that? You would think that once a player signs a professional contract he is fair game to be dealt?

To avoid trading draft picks and making picks part of deals. Its the same concept that prevents sign and trades in baseball with a restriction that players cant be traded for a period for time after they sign. I think it is all a little archaic.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 11:46 AM)
To avoid trading draft picks and making picks part of deals. Its the same concept that prevents sign and trades in baseball with a restriction that players cant be traded for a period for time after they sign. I think it is all a little archaic.

That makes sense, but I feel that teams should be able to trade draft picks and future draft picks like in any other sport.

Give teams more control over how they utilize their assets.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 03:39 PM)

Hahn sure knows how to stay popular ... by satisfying the trade-crowd. He has the best job in Chicago. Nobody cares about the crap he and KW have put on the field they only care about future names and future trades. All of the guys are available? Well, out of all of the guys on the MLB club the only players anybody will want are Abreu, Robertson, Q, Avisail Garcia and Anderson and they probably are not trading Avi, Abreu or Anderson.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 12:36 PM)
Hahn sure knows how to stay popular ... by satisfying the trade-crowd. He has the best job in Chicago. Nobody cares about the crap he and KW have put on the field they only care about future names and future trades. All of the guys are available? Well, out of all of the guys on the MLB club the only players anybody will want are Abreu, Robertson, Q, Avisail Garcia and Anderson and they probably are not trading Avi, Abreu or Anderson.

LOL no

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 27, 2017 -> 12:36 PM)

Seriously, where have you been the past 5 years? The fans care about the crap on the field exhibit: 2013-2016 seasons.

Even if the Sox would likely not trade a younger player like Tim Anderson or Avi Garcia, a statement that all players are available for trade purposes might cause other teams to reveal top players that they might make available. That would be good to know.