2017 MLB DRAFT

Boopa1219

The Sox have the top pick in the 2017 MLB Draft after finishing the season with a record of 78-84.

The last ten players picked with the 12th overall pick:

2016: Jason Groome

2015: Josh Naylor

2014: Kodi Medeiros

2013: DJ Peterson

2012: Gavin Cecchini

2011: Taylor Jungmann

2010: Yasmani Grandal

2009: Aaron Crow

2008: Jemile Weeks

2007: Matt Dominguez

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Oct 4, 2016 -> 09:34 PM)
Can't wait to discuss some names in the coming months. Hopefully we got a good prospect to fall to us due to some teams reaching on players or not wanting to risk trying to sign some of these guys.

Thats bound to happen and we're already on it at Reddit.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Oct 6, 2016 -> 04:26 PM)
No it's not, Top 10 are protected so the Sox just fell short of that.

I honestly think the top 20 picks or so should be protected. If you didn't make the playoffs, you should have a protected draft pick.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 4, 2016 -> 09:26 PM)
The Sox have the top pick in the 2017 MLB Draft after finishing the season with a record of 78-84.

The last ten players picked with the 12th overall pick:

2016: Jason Groome

2015: Josh Naylor

2014: Kodi Medeiros

2013: DJ Peterson

2012: Gavin Cecchini

2011: Taylor Jungmann

2010: Yasmani Grandal

2009: Aaron Crow

2008: Jemile Weeks

2007: Matt Dominguez

This list doesn't look too good, but you never know. Sale was picked 13th after all. Hopefully the Sox target a bat with their first pick if at all possible.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 7, 2016 -> 08:40 AM)
I honestly think the top 20 picks or so should be protected. If you didn't make the playoffs, you should have a protected draft pick.

The MLBPA does not agree with you.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Oct 7, 2016 -> 12:17 PM)
This list doesn't look too good, but you never know. Sale was picked 13th after all. Hopefully the Sox target a bat with their first pick if at all possible.

No, I hope it's the best player available.

• 2 weeks later...

https://minorleaguemadhouse.com/2016/10/03/...season-edition/

Here is a mock done by a fiend and a collaborator at the subreddit. He has the Sox drafting Jordon Adell, who happens to be my favorite player in this draft class.

Here is what Fangraphs had to say about him:

Jordon Adell, OF, Ballard HS (KY)

Height: 6’3, Weight: 200, Commitment: Louisville

Jordon (or “Jo”) Adell has the best hit/power combination among high schoolers in the 2017 class and has a non-zero chance of playing center field. If that sounds like a player worthy of consideration in the draft’s top 5-10 picks, that’s because it is.

But Adell is not predestined for center field. Though he has posted 70-grade run times in the 60-yard dash (6.47), I didn’t get an in-game run time to first base better than 4.4 (40 on the scale) from him all summer. Why the discrepancy? Well, the quality of Adell’s contact this summer was so good that it often didn’t necessitate a full-effort sprint to first base, and it’s possible I just never saw a good time to first. It’s also possible that, because of how hard Adell rotates toward the third-base line through contact, he just doesn’t get good jumps down the line toward first and his times are artificially slow.

Scouts with whom I’ve spoken fall into two camps regarding Adell’s future position. Some think there’s a slight chance he somehow manages to be passable in center while acknowledging that it’s unlikely for him to stay there, while others think he surely ends up in a corner. I can’t find anyone confident he remains, long term, in center field and instead the industry (myself included) think Adell and his plus-plus arm end up in right field.

It matters not. Adell’s bat profiles comfortably in a corner, too. He has 7 bat speed, can move the barrel around the zone and absolutely punishes everything on the inner half. While I think Adell’s approach can get pull-happy, he has the physical skills to be a future plus hitter. Adell peppered Waveland Ave with baseballs during the Under Armour home-run derby in Chicago then won the Area Code derby and homered in a game there as well. He has plus raw power and arguably projects for more than that.

High-school prospects with that kind of offensive profile often go in the top 10, regardless of where they profile on the defensive spectrum. I think Adell comes off the board very early next June and I don’t expect his commitment to Louisville to be a significant obstacle.

I wonder if this pick will still be unprotected at the time of the draft. To be fair, why should the White Sox have to surrender the 12th pick to sign someone, when the Cubs would have to surrender the 30th to sign the same player?

At the very least all non playoff teams should have their 1st pick protected IMO.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 18, 2016 -> 05:22 PM)
I wonder if this pick will still be unprotected at the time of the draft. To be fair, why should the White Sox have to surrender the 12th pick to sign someone, when the Cubs would have to surrender the 30th to sign the same player?

At the very least all non playoff teams should have their 1st pick protected IMO.

Why wouldn't it be? CBA changes?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 18, 2016 -> 06:50 PM)
Doesn't the agreement start in 2017? I would think any changes to compensation would start next offseason due to free agents potentially signing , accepting/rejecting QOs before then.

Manfred said it would be natural to wrap u the negotiations on the new agreement before free agency begins so everyone knows what the rules will be. There most likely will be something done with the QO system.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 18, 2016 -> 05:02 PM)
Manfred said it would be natural to wrap u the negotiations on the new agreement before free agency begins so everyone knows what the rules will be. There most likely will be something done with the QO system.

Seems like the pick will still go to the team that loses, but the buying team won't lose the pick (which does slightly hurt competitive balance, imo, since it is more likely the higher market teams are buying and now they get to buy and keep the pick).

• 2 weeks later...

I really like Jake Burger, JJ Schwarz and Brendan McKay. I think it would be awesome to draft Jake Burger in '17 and Seth Beer in '18 the promos write themselves. I've read a lazy comp of burger to Bryant so we'll see. Anyone got a hot take on Beer?