A farm-focused Spring Training preview - 7 storylines

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 09:14 AM)
Nice NS.

How much of a storyline for you is the fluff around Davidson's bat? Do you buy it at all?

I mean, he definitely improved in 2016 at AAA. And it wasn't just luck, there were actual changes he made in approach that led to them. I talked with him about them last year.

That said, even with the improvements he was still striking out about 26% of the time, in his 3rd/4th go-around at AAA. I'm a skeptic, I think he will swing and miss too much to stick around in the majors for long. He won't make enough contact for the power to play. And he won't draw as many walks when no one is afraid to throw him good strikes. I hope I'm wrong though!

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 09:25 AM)
I mean, he definitely improved in 2016 at AAA. And it wasn't just luck, there were actual changes he made in approach that led to them. I talked with him about them last year.

That said, even with the improvements he was still striking out about 26% of the time, in his 3rd/4th go-around at AAA. I'm a skeptic, I think he will swing and miss too much to stick around in the majors for long. He won't make enough contact for the power to play. And he won't draw as many walks when no one is afraid to throw him good strikes. I hope I'm wrong though!

Yeah, Hayes was talking up this offseason though too based off of the hitting camp in early Jan. Started to get pumped up. Unlikely, but we deserve our own unlikely story.