HS: Carroll

HS Grad: 2012

City: Corpus Christi

State: TX

From Perfect Game.

2012 Rawlings 1st Team All-American

Texas - All Region 1st Team

Player Note

Huge RH Power, Ball flies off barrel, Ran 6.62 at PG, + arm. Outstanding at many PG events. PG All American Game

1/31/12: ...Where Hawkins really bloomed as a prospect was at the Area Code Games and Perfect Game All-American Classic during the first half of August. He was clearly one of the top power hitters at the AC’s and improved with virtually every at bat as you could see his confidence growing. He hit a monstrous home run onto the street beyond the distant left field fence at spacious Blair Field on the last day of the Area Codes to put an exclamation point on it. Hawkins then did the same thing at the All-American Classic workouts. While Joey Gallo rightfully got huge amounts of attention for his 442-foot skyscraper to right centerfield during the game, Hawkins hit a ball during batting practice that was equally impressive, a laser beam to straight away centerfield that easily cleared the centerfield fence and rattled off the base of the batters eye. A scout remarked shortly afterwards, “You can watch plenty of big league BPs and not see a ball hit that hard very often.” Hawkins continued his string of dominant and eye opening performances at the WWBA World Championships in Jupiter in late October while playing for the Houston Banditos, slamming six extra-base hits in pool play before cooling off in the playoffs. While power is his obvious plus-plus tool, the rest of Hawkins' tool package is high level as well. He’s run as low as 6.62 in the 60 and is a very aggressive baserunner who will steal bases and take the extra base on a ball to the alley. While his body type is the kind that you might project to slow down, he has such explosive athleticism that it might not happen for a while. His arm strength from right field is definitely an asset as well. The one area where Hawkins will be looking to continue to improve is with his pitch recognition. He is an aggressive hitter who attacks the ball and is prone to commit early on off-speed pitches, not an uncommon thing for a young power hitter. If he can square up enough balls, scouts and his future managers and coaches will live with a few strikeouts.

Baseball Instinct - Scouting Report

16. Courtney Hawkins OF/RHP Carroll HS, Corpus Christi, Texas - Hawkins is committed to Texas, but with some of the best game ready power in the high school class this year he may go high enough to sway his commitment. He has a solid 6’3″, 215 lbs frame and is an above average runner with a plus arm for RF.

Our Instinct - Hawkins bat is ready for the move to the pro stage. He’s not a power only hitter, willing to take a walk and work the count. With instruction he’ll be able to further employ his game power in better hitters counts. He makes consistent hard contact and uses the whole field with plus plus power to the pull side. He has the arm to stick in the more premium RF corner. But CF won’t be a play for him in pro ball.

• 2 weeks later...

White Sox Talk

‏@WhiteSoxTalkCSN

Courtney Hawkins signs his contract. Photographic proof: pic.twitter.com/LjDyg5cm

Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox

#WhiteSox agreed to terms w/1st round pick Courtney Hawkins & he will begin career w/Advanced Rookie @BristolSox of the Appalachian League

MLB Draft ‏@MLBDraft 13 Jun

RT Courtney Hawkins @CHawkins10 Chi town bound MONDAY awhhhhhh yea lets do this!!!!!!!! #pumpedup #excited @whitesox

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

More accolades about Courtney.

Carroll's Courtney Hawkins was named the Class 5A player of the year on the Texas Sports Writers Association/Collin Street Bakery All-State Baseball Team on Friday.

5A is the highest level of play in the state of Texas, based on enrollment of students.

Currently batting .280/.320/.413/.733 at Bristol.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?s...&pid=621445

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=2...p;tcid=tw_share

Courtney Hawkins has a pretty simple approach to hitting. And with the results he's gotten, there's not much need to change.

The 13th overall pick by the White Sox in the June Draft compiled four hits for the first time in his young career as Class A Kannapolis defeated Hagerstown, 11-4, on Monday.

Hawkins smacked three doubles and scored twice. The 18-year-old outfielder drove in a run, stole a base and threw out a runner at second base for good measure.

"I just go with the same approach every day and that's to hit," Hawkins said. "I just kind of hit the ball hard and got it in the gap."

His approach has served him well at two levels. The Texas native batted .274 with three homers and 16 RBIs in 38 Appalachian League for Rookie-level Bristol. Hawkins' performance on Monday raised his average to .314 for the Intimidators. Of his 11 hits with the club, five have gone for extra bases. His route to continued success is pretty straight-forward.

"Keep hitting, making contact and putting the bat on the ball," Hawkins said.

It's rare to see a player fresh out of high school make the jump to a full-season league. Hawkins is aware of that and grateful for the chance to play in the South Atlantic League.

"I'm happy to be here," he said. "It's good to get moved up and contribute to the team and help them win."

Chris Curley slugged a two-run homer, scored three times and stole two bases while Leighton Pangilinan had three hits for Kannapolis.

Max Peterson (1-1) tossed four one-hit innings of relief to earn the win.

Robert Emrich is a contributor to MLB.com.

I like what Hawkins has done so far. He's not making it look easy with huge stats, which to me is good. I don't want the Sox rushing him.

When I've checked his twitter, you can tell he's got a passion for baseball. He's not a basketball or football player that is playing baseball because its his best sport. He really loves the game, and I think that will serve him well in his climb to the majors.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
2.) Who was your favorite baseball player growing up? Why?

Ken Griffey Jr., Barry Bonds [and] Frank Thomas, because I felt these guys had it all; the ability to hit and play defense. And definitely Griffey, because I try to play like him. Just balls to the walls, full tilt the whole game!

Hmmm..

• 3 weeks later...

Quite the head-scratcher. I also see that he was born in 1993, so bringing up players like Griffey and Frank has me even more confused. Was he just mentioning any good black players that came to mind?

Okay, so he's not exactly a rocket scientist. Let's just hope that he develops into something. I'm at my wits' end with this bulls*** farm system.

Edited by hammerhead johnson

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Dec 22, 2012 -> 11:18 AM)
Quite the head-scratcher. I also see that he was born in 1993, so bringing up players like Griffey and Frank has me even more confused. Was he just mentioning any good black players that came to mind?

Okay, so he's not exactly a rocket scientist. Let's just hope that he develops into something. I'm at my wits' end with this bulls*** farm system.

Those guys played well into his youth. He may have mentioned defense more in the case of bonds and griffey, but also liked big frank because of his hitting.

Lets not read into his comments so much and conclude he is not intelligent. That would be very stupid of us. He might not be that eloquent yet, at the old age of 19, ya know? Ever say anything that made more sense in your mind?

Edited by MAX

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Dec 26, 2012 -> 11:25 PM)
Big Frank and Griffey were broken before Courtney even hit puberty.

He's from Corpus Christi - within 200 miles of Houston, and 500 miles of Dallas. He mentions no Astros or Rangers players, which would make sense seeing as how neither team has had a black superstar in ages.

I'm not denying that them being black is a large part of it. Why would anyone care about that?

Edited by MAX

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 29, 2012 -> 04:50 PM)
Griffey and Frank were my favorite players....and I'm white. I must be doing it wrong.

I was always a fan of Griffey Jr. He was hot when my son began little league. His coach called my son his Ken Griffey Jr.

Please forgive me, but I was not a real baseball fan back then, I had no idea who he was talking about! But, as the years have gone by I have grown to really love this game!

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/q...x-top-prospect/

Former Texas high school star Courtney Hawkins famously performed a back flip after being drafted this past year. And now, it’s easy to see why: The Chicago White Sox top prospect has a lot to be excited about.

The 19-year-old [as of November] outfielder was drafted 13th overall in June and by the season‘s end, he was playing for High-A Winston-Salem. Prior to inking his contract, he was honored as the Texas High School Player of the Year. Hawkins talked about his introduction to professional baseball — and his athleticism — during the last week of this past season.

——

David Laurila: Has it sunk in that you’re playing pro ball?

Courtney Hawkins: I’d say it’s like a dream. I’m still kind of shocked right now, playing in High-A. Everything is moving fast, but I like it. I like the speed of the game and I’m just out there playing ball and having fun.

Since I’ve been here — since I moved up — I’ve learned so much. You can tell the difference in the level of competition, so it’s a huge adjustment.

DL: When did you begin to realize you were going to be good enough to play professionally?

CH: It’s been my dream ever since I was a young kid. In a way, it was in my head then, but it really started sinking in around my freshman year of high school. That, or maybe my sophomore year.

When I was a freshman, I made the USA Team. I was a pitcher all the way up until my junior year. That’s when I switched over to being more of a hitter.

DL: You’ve been clocked in the low-90s. Were there discussions about your future position?

CH: With [Chicago], it was always, hands down, hitting. Other teams, it was pitching and hitting — some pitching — but with the White Sox, they told me it would be hitting.

DL: Which teams were interested in you as a pitcher?

CH: I couldn’t even tell you right now. A lot of teams were going back and forth. I was going with the flow, but I wanted to hit. I guess most teams wanted me for hitting.

DL: When did you know the White Sox were going to draft you?

CH: Four minutes before they called my name. I did know they were probably interested. I was in the Double Duty Classic [a tournament held at U.C. Cellular Field] a couple of times and had a good relationship with Keith Staab, the scout that saw me. I met a lot of the representatives when everybody came down.

DL: How surprised are you to have been promoted from Bristol to Kannapolis to Winston-Salem?

CH: I’m not so much shocked, but more just happy, excited, and glad that I have.

DL: You hit better in [Low-A] Kannapolis than you did in [rookie-level] Bristol.

CH: Exactly. As you move up, you start seeing guys who are more around the zone. The game is faster, but not too much. There’s a better level of defense and you can tell the level of play is better. But that’s good; I enjoy it. Same way here in Winston-Salem. The pitching is a lot better — they’re in the zone and hit their spots — but that makes you develop into a better hitter. You lay off the bad stuff and hit the mistakes.

DL: Baseball America’s draft preview said you fit the profile of a power-hitting right fielder. Do you see yourself that way?

CH: I’d like to stay in centerfield as long as I can, but as long as I’m playing ball, it doesn’t bother me. I’ll play left, righ, or anywhere. I love centerfield, but the outfield is the outfield. I’m going to go wherever they tell me to play.

DL: When you did the back flip on draft night, it was almost like you were sending a message that you’re not a stereotypical corner outfielder, you’re an athlete.

CH: Exactly, exactly.

DL: What is your approach at the plate?

CH: I’m always thinking up-the-middle, dead-away center. That’s my approach every time: dead-away center or up the gaps. If the pitcher makes a mistake in, then I pull.

DL: Is most of your power to the pull side?

CH: I think I have power to all fields. I’ve hit home runs to center, left, right. Mainly they’ve been to left-center.

DL: Are you concerned with strikeouts?

CH: I watch Major League Baseball every day, and I see big leaguers strike out. They’re going to be in the game. Strikeouts happen. I go up there and if the pitcher is better than me in that at bat, I’ll come up in my next at bat and try to get him that time. You’re going to be upset about it, but you shake it off and try to win the next battle.

DL: Could you see yourself on the mound in pro ball?

CH: I’m not sure, but I know I could go out and pitch. I know I have the ability and stuff. If I did, hopefully I’d learn and get better, like I am with hitting. I’m a better hitter now than I was a month ago. I like to think I’m a better hitter than I was yesterday. I like learning and am taking stuff in, day by day.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...