Paulino removed from Rehab assignment

southsider2k5

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2014 -> 03:52 PM)
Colleen Kane ‏@ChiTribKane 23m

White Sox have removed Felipe Paulino from his rehab assignment with AAA Charlotte because of right shoulder soreness. He's still on the DL.

Just DFA the bum already. I suppose the Sox could be holding out hope that he becomes a useful bullpen arm.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2014 -> 03:52 PM)
Colleen Kane ‏@ChiTribKane 23m

White Sox have removed Felipe Paulino from his rehab assignment with AAA Charlotte because of right shoulder soreness. He's still on the DL.

Looking like Sox fans have seen the last of him in 2014. It just did not work out time to move on.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 27, 2014 -> 04:02 PM)
We should be fined by mlb for abuse of the dl system

THey'd only care if some other team complained, which they seemingly never do. Especially in the minors, the Sox (and other clubs) make some pretty sketchy use of the DL.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 27, 2014 -> 04:13 PM)
THey'd only care if some other team complained, which they seemingly never do. Especially in the minors, the Sox (and other clubs) make some pretty sketchy use of the DL.

More accurately if Paulino complained.

He fares best earning above minimum MLB salary with us and getting lots of chances to prove himself in AAA. If he complained and we cut him loose, he'd have to go on a minor league deal with somebody who won't be fan of him pitching terribly in the minors

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 27, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
LOL at "shoulder soreness", dude hit 98 in his last outing. The DL shenanigans continue.

Just because he was throwing 98 doesn't mean there was no soreness or pain involved.

He gets DL'd with an inflamed shoulder after getting lit up and saying he felt great and would be better the next time out during the post game. There was no report of him having said shoulder examined, not that it means he didn't, but usually you hear something. He goes on a rehab assignment, gets lit up several outings, and the shoulder is suddenly a problem again when the rehab assignment is about up. Hmmmmmmmmm.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 28, 2014 -> 07:14 AM)
It was a gamble. Suggesting it was anything else is ludicrous. Maybe they should have signed Ubaldo.

I must be getting really old. I actually agree with you.

Of course it was a gamble. Sox offered up a couple of mill or whatever for a guy who was absolutely horrid in Colorado 3 years ago. I witnessed that mess. It took a while, but the Rockettes finally DFA'd him and ate his contract. More recently, he was lousy in the minors in 2013, so naturally Sox gave him his comeback opportunity for 2014. Bad gamble. Right up there with Mitch Boggs. Pete and rePete.

I like what you said about Ubaldo. That would have been a more interesting gamble. The other two never had a chance.

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 28, 2014 -> 09:33 AM)
I must be getting really old. I actually agree with you.

Of course it was a gamble. Sox offered up a couple of mill or whatever for a guy who was absolutely horrid in Colorado 3 years ago. I witnessed that mess. It took a while, but the Rockettes finally DFA'd him and ate his contract. More recently, he was lousy in the minors in 2013, so naturally Sox gave him his comeback opportunity for 2014. Bad gamble. Right up there with Mitch Boggs. Pete and rePete.

I like what you said about Ubaldo. That would have been a more interesting gamble. The other two never had a chance.

I was being sarcastic about Ubaldo, but when the team is rebuilding or retooling, they need to take chances on stuff guys. You do that and you occasionally end up with Rick White or Mike Jackson, or you sometimes get a Cliff Politte or Tom Gordon or JJ Putz or Esteban Loaiza. In the end, if you lose it, you lose it and you move on.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 28, 2014 -> 09:38 AM)
I was being sarcastic about Ubaldo, but when the team is rebuilding or retooling, they need to take chances on stuff guys. You do that and you occasionally end up with Rick White or Mike Jackson, or you sometimes get a Cliff Politte or Tom Gordon or JJ Putz or Esteban Loaiza. In the end, if you lose it, you lose it and you move on.

This organization does a really good job of turning a significant number of those gambles into serviceable pieces. I have no problem with the Paulino signing, and I won't have a problem with the next signing like it.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 27, 2014 -> 06:56 PM)
It wasn't a gamble, he was the team's 4th starter.

5th.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 28, 2014 -> 08:14 AM)
It was a gamble. Suggesting it was anything else is ludicrous.

For virtually every team in baseball, the 5th starter is a gamble - some marginal guy, a young prospect, or a flier like Paulino.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 28, 2014 -> 02:40 PM)
This organization does a really good job of turning a significant number of those gambles into serviceable pieces. I have no problem with the Paulino signing, and I won't have a problem with the next signing like it.

Somebody should be accountable when a team wastes money on a pitcher who is absolutely horrible.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 28, 2014 -> 02:43 PM)
Somebody should be accountable when a team wastes money on a pitcher who is absolutely horrible.

It's Rick Hahn. If he misses more than he hits, he'll be fired. Put the pitchfork away and save it for situations that will actually affect our ability to compete. Like if we had signed Ubaldo or something.