Harrelson, predictably, taken to task by media

caulfield12

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this particular day and age, he probably should be suspended a game.

But I sincerely doubt Hawk has anything against women's sports and athletes. Isn't he generally regarded as a great guy? Not a prick by any means.

But in this day and age you can't go there, you can't offend anybody by race, gender, sexual orientation, so he probably should have to sit a game.

QUOTE (MEANS @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 08:08 PM)
Seriously, he said nothing wrong.

I do worship Hawk in all ways, but yes he did (in today's climate) say something wrong. He said the thing about skirts, which implies women can't get after it and compete hard in sports, certainly not near as hard as men.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 08:24 PM)
I have gotten so tired of Hawk the last few years and like the writer, I too have a young daughter. That being said, I am having a really hard time finding any issue or getting upset with Hawk's comment.

I'm not mad at it either or have no real issue with it. I think if he worked for ESPN, though, he'd have been suspended by now for a few days.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 12:58 PM)
I thought that was crap too and was glad I didn't see it. Obviously you know where that language comes from when talking to an older man but it's sentiment is so outdated and dumb.

Blah. Live a little. Don't be so incredibly oversensitive. It takes all the fun out of life.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 09:36 PM)
Blah. Live a little. Don't be so incredibly oversensitive. It takes all the fun out of life.

I'm not a broadcaster. Talk to people about baseball now, everyone thinks it's a boring old mans game. Stuff like this just confirms it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 01:37 PM)
I'm not a broadcaster. Talk to people about baseball now, everyone thinks it's a boring old mans game. Stuff like this just confirms it.

That has everything to do with the lack of character and fun and not the lack of political correctness.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 09:37 PM)

It's crazy how baseball's popularity has dipped so much. I'm thinking it has something to do with parents in the last 2 generations. They've protected little Johnny so much that parental fear has taken away the sandlot games some played in neighborhoods as youths.

We used to play baseball, wiffleball and softball and fastpitch rubber ball against the wall (at Mt. Greenwood school), every single day during the summer on 103rd and Homan or Trumbull.

The sewer caps were the bases. Like the cliche says, if the ball went in one old lady's yard it was tough to get back. But no parents were ever there when we played, and kids fell in love with baseball. Organized baseball was the icing on the cake when we hit Little League age.

Now? I can see why kids would hate it with parents dragging them to organized games with uniforms at the age of 6. With lack of much practice time, and kids not developing skills on their own in the neighborhoods because of unreasonable fear of kidnappers/predators, I'm sure those organized games with parents are no fun at all and quite boring.

So baseball is boring to many kids I'm sure.

And guess what protective parents? One year some kid threw his bat when I was catcher it hit me in the head and I needed five stitches after running home bleeding everywhere and crying.

It ended the games that day, but did parents make us stop playing? Hell no. Nowadays there'd be a neighborhood meeting decrying poor Johnny who got hit in the head and parents must supervise all games at all times!

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 03:46 PM)
Nor do I think it's a lack of political correctness, but this clip is going to make the rounds and it's going to confirm a lot of people's beliefs that this is a game for old men.

Yet the NFL has fans who applaud guys who beat their fiances unconscious, call each other b****es and the n word. So no, that clip isn't going to confirm anything.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 01:46 PM)
Nor do I think it's a lack of political correctness, but this clip is going to make the rounds and it's going to confirm a lot of people's beliefs that this is a game for old men.

Oh come on...baseball has trouble attracting younger viewers because of the slow pace. It has very little to do with what Hawk, or Vin or other "old men" say or do.

God forbid kids actually have to sit down and think a little. Or take something at a little bit of a slower pace than their video games provide.

I don't understand why everything needs to revolve around what "kids today want." Maybe the kids of today are wrong? Maybe the kids of today need to wake up and smell the coffee that the real world doesn't always give them exactly what they want RIGHT NOW? I get it, the kids of today determine where the money of tomorrow is spent, and we all need to please them...but it's really not a great lesson to be teaching them.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 03:13 PM)
I do worship Hawk in all ways, but yes he did (in today's climate) say something wrong. He said the thing about skirts, which implies Scotsmen can't get after it and compete hard in sports, certainly not near as hard as other nationalities.

BUT IT'S CALLED A KILT!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 09:50 PM)
Yet the NFL has fans who applaud guys who beat their fiances unconscious, call each other b****es and the n word. So no, that clip isn't going to confirm anything.

Thank God baseball is free and clear of player misbehavior.

Didn't read the article, but what he said is absolutely wrong. You can dismiss it as being OMG YOU ARE SO SENSITIVE but he talked down to a portion of the Sox fanbase. It's just pointless and stupid.

He really needs to go. There's so much adding up at this point. He's flat-out bad at his job. He can't see the game (oh, the ball bounced over the wall?). Everything has to be some grandiose, incorrect point about the game of baseball. He doesn't understand, or dismisses, advanced statistics.

Anyone who listened to any of those Wimpy and Stone games know what a non-s***ty broadcast booth can sound like. It was so refreshing to have people call a game, talk about today's game and the sport overall, and leave it at that. It wasn't hard, and every one of those broadcasts was so much better than any Hawk-called game right now.

Best suggestion I heard is letting Hawk do home games next year, and that's it. Start to phase out.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 03:51 PM)
Oh come on...baseball has trouble attracting younger viewers because of the slow pace. It has very little to do with what Hawk, or Vin or other "old men" say or do.

God forbid kids actually have to sit down and think a little. Or take something at a little bit of a slower pace than their video games provide.

I don't understand why everything needs to revolve around what "kids today want." Maybe the kids of today are wrong? Maybe the kids of today need to wake up and smell the coffee that the real world doesn't always give them exactly what they want RIGHT NOW? I get it, the kids of today determine where the money of tomorrow is spent, and we all need to please them...but it's really not a great lesson to be teaching them.

Olbermann had a good piece on this yesterday, you should find it if you can. Kids is one thing, but the game overall is going down in popularity with all age levels. They are going to run into a bigger problem sooner than later. Adapt or die.

You have plenty of people on here who think the pace is too slow and hurting the game, and I'm pretty sure all of them aren't 13 years old.

Edited by IlliniKrush