2015 Offseason

Boopa1219

A thread about the off season ahead the upcoming 2015 season.

We already have a report that Victor Martinez is the team's top target, and the team must rebuild the bullpen.

So what do you want accomplished this off season?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 01:43 AM)
A thread about the off season ahead the upcoming 2015 season.

We already have a report that Victor Martinez is the team's top target, and the team must rebuild the bullpen.

So what do you want accomplished this off season?

I don't want us signing old players coming off career years (like Victor Martinez).

I agree with you but the team desperately needs a left handed bat (Martinez is a switch hitter) in the middle of the order between Abreu and Garcia. I woukd sign Martinez but it has to be to a reasonable, short term contract.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 08:26 AM)
I agree with you but the team desperately needs a left handed bat (Martinez is a switch hitter) in the middle of the order between Abreu and Garcia. I woukd sign Martinez but it has to be to a reasonable, short term contract.

I am not going to respond to the VM interest.

I agree about needing a bat, esp a LH bat, but I want to see the int'l fa's signed. then I guess

I will be able to see that the sox need. the other thing I am thinking, with the 3 mi getting

ready to contribute, is 1 of them going to move to the OF or where to put him?

this is not what I want but what the team has now. again, what direction will the sox / Hahn go?

cat - flowers

1b - Jose A

ss - Aelxia

3b - conor

rf - Avi

cf - Eaton

lf - DV

2b - Sanchez ???

where to put Semien, Micah. how bout trading, DV 1 of the left over of the Semien or Micah?

if not do the sox move DV to the dh role and see if Semien or Micah can handle LF?

I know 1 thing. this summer is going to be fun when the sox need to address the above questions.

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 12:20 PM)
How this lineup look like

Eaton

Johnson

Abreu

Martinez

Garcia

Ramirez

Gillespie

Morse

Phegley flowers free agent

at this time all mock lineup is all subjective, so there is no right or wrong. I will be making one

during the summer. but remember, no matter how the sox finish, the future is starting to look

great. the cliché of "wait till next yr" has a great meaning.

If I'm Hahn I have early targets a power bat, a veteran utility, a RHS, and two relievers (one lefty, one righty), and secure a top 10 protected pick

I'd be going after Martinez on a 2-3 year deal for 30-45 million, Justin Masterson on a one year deal with options for '16 and '17, then k-Rod or Chris Perez to close, and Breslow from Boston

C: Flowers, Phegley

1B: Abreu, Wilkins

2B: Micah Johnson

3B: Gillaspie

SS: Alexei, Semein

CF: Eaton

LF: Viciedo,

RF: Garcia

DH: Martinez

Rotation: Sale, Quintana, Masterson, Danks (until traded), Rodon

Pen: Surkamp, Noesi, Petricka, Webb, Jones, Lindstrom, Putnam, Breslow

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 02:00 AM)
I don't want us signing old players coming off career years (like Victor Martinez).

Couldn't agree more.

I'm taking this with a huge grain of salt considering it's a Levine report.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 10:29 AM)
Couldn't agree more.

I'm taking this with a huge grain of salt considering this is a Levine report.

Agreed. You sign him, then what was your reasoning for letting AJ go? Not saying that wasn't the right decision(in fact, it was) and this would be the same one. The time to get Victor was his last go around IMO. Let the Red Sox bid for him.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 10:38 AM)
Agreed. You sign him, then what was your reasoning for letting AJ go? Not saying that wasn't the right decision(in fact, it was) and this would be the same one. The time to get Victor was his last go around IMO. Let the Red Sox bid for him.

We need too protect abreu hello.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 11:38 AM)

Victor Martinez isn't a catcher any more, he's a DH.

In a perfect world, baseball clubs will find the perfect right / left hitting lineup.

the players to choose from, what will be available, is not all that enticing. I see the sox

having to fill those empty holes by picking a player who can produce rather than having

perfect right / left hitting lineup.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 11:51 AM)
In a perfect world, baseball clubs will find the perfect right / left hitting lineup.

the players to choose from, what will be available, is not all that enticing. I see the sox

having to fill those empty holes by picking a player who can produce rather than having

perfect right / left hitting lineup.

Their manager will respond by forcing whatever players they acquire into the closest thing he can find to a left/right lineup. This should be expected when acquiring players.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 10:48 AM)
Victor Martinez isn't a catcher any more, he's a DH.

I understand. But the point I was making is, eventually your bat speed goes, your strength and your eye. I'm not interested in guys who just had a career year at 34 or 35 and are up for a contract unless they're coming for cheap. For Victor, the absolute most I would pay is 2 years - 16 million. He won't sign for that.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 11:44 AM)
I understand. But the point I was making is, eventually your bat speed goes, your strength and your eye. I'm not interested in guys who just had a career year at 34 or 35 and are up for a contract unless they're coming for cheap. For Victor, the absolute most I would pay is 2 years - 16 million. He won't sign for that.

Unless that is $16 million per year, you are correct.

QUOTE (1dog @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 03:04 PM)
For those who want VM, please give me a list of 36 year old guys that just signed big contracts and their subsequent stats. It just never seems like it's worth it to me.

As a 35 year old, Paul Konerko signed for 3/$37.5. During that contract, he put up 2.8 fWAR, worth about $15 million. He was a solid player in the first 1.5 seasons of that deal.

I think that's a great example of what is required for this deal to work. It's likely to overpay the guy overall and really hurt in years 2+ but you need to be close enough in 2015 that he puts you over the top.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 06:01 PM)
Ldf & Peavy, are you guys roommates in Senegal or something; where do you boys live?

Bayou country with a s*** load of gators and shrimp and most aggressive snakes. Louisiana.

I miss my chi pizza.