AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!! X2

southsider2k5

QUOTE (BaconOnAStick @ Sep 13, 2014 -> 10:09 PM)
-Semien had a fantastic day

-Gillaspie broke out of his slump with a big RBI.

-Andy Wilkins did something

It was a very good day! I don't know if was as good as Abreu's "OUR KIDS WILL NOT QUIT" walk off slam against a s*** talking Balfour... but it was good.

Forgot about Semien, and yeah, that was a pretty good night, too.

QUOTE (BaconOnAStick @ Sep 13, 2014 -> 09:58 PM)
I'm still uneasy about giving up on Tank.

As am I. If the Sox can snag a LH LFer I'm game to keep Tank around another year. Not a huge fan of any of the FAs though. Melky and Rasmus scare me a bit, and Markakis is just kinda meh to me.

Real nice to see a 5+ game improvement considering how awful the pen has been most of the year. Had the bullpen moves worked out we're looking at at least a 10 game improvement overall.

QUOTE (BaconOnAStick @ Sep 14, 2014 -> 04:09 AM)
-Semien had a fantastic day

-Gillaspie broke out of his slump with a big RBI.

-Andy Wilkins did something

It was a very good day! I don't know if was as good as Abreu's "OUR KIDS WILL NOT QUIT" walk off slam against a s*** talking Balfour... but it was good.

I was wondering on how the FO was planning in the offseason, esp with acquiring players

either thru fa or trades. my initial question is, next yr, what or who will take over the leadoff

if eaton gets hurt, furthermore if Alexei is not in the equations.

I was wondering if any of the young prospects coming up will be able to fill that position. question can

Semien will be that player?

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 13, 2014 -> 10:41 PM)
I was wondering on how the FO was planning in the offseason, esp with acquiring players

either thru fa or trades. my initial question is, next yr, what or who will take over the leadoff

if eaton gets hurt, furthermore if Alexei is not in the equations.

I was wondering if any of the young prospects coming up will be able to fill that position. question can

Semien will be that player?

Micah Johnson is your prototypical leadoff hitter.

QUOTE (BaconOnAStick @ Sep 14, 2014 -> 02:58 AM)
I'm still uneasy about giving up on Tank.

Maybe Rock can tell us what the front office thinks about Tank. With DeAza kicking ass in Baltimore, the organization might be more apt to give Viciedo another year and hope the consistenccy button finally clicks. Like fathom said in the game thread his potential HR numbers might be too important to discard playing so many games in the Cell.

He's definitely a frustrating player, though.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Sep 13, 2014 -> 10:53 PM)
He really isn't.

Back to my hole.

We all have our opinions and no, he didn't walk much at all in AAA but he's shown the ability at other levels (.414 OBP in AA this year and .422 in A the year before).

Me and Hawk are sharing the Micah kool aid, I think he has a chance to be a real good hitter.

My Semien kool aid got a little sour after looking at his splits. I loved him until I saw just how bad he's been against RHP, something this team will face the most.

Also, I'm not sure how they come up with number, but he's got a negative 5.2 rating against fastballs this year...I'm not sure the walks will come as much in the bigs if he continues to struggle against the fastball.

I'd love to be wrong with all that, but right now I'd be fine if he was traded this offseason.

Edited by scs787

Last year Semien combined for a .805 OPS w/ 16 HR, .375 OBP against righties. It's not as if he was bad.

This year, he combined for a .740 OPS against righties ... which was certainly weighed down, like the rest of his stats, by his rocky start in MLB and injury when he went to AAA.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 13, 2014 -> 09:26 PM)
Last year Semien combined for a .805 OPS w/ 16 HR, .375 OBP against righties. It's not as if he was bad.

This year, he combined for a .740 OPS against righties ... which was certainly weighed down, like the rest of his stats, by his rocky start in MLB and injury when he went to AAA.

I'm just stoked to see how it all works out. Semien, Sanchez, M. Johnson should be fun to witness. Not going to make any judgements on who's capable of what. Just let it play out and hope it's mostly positive.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 13, 2014 -> 11:26 PM)

Perhaps saying "how bad" was a bit exaggerated. He's certainly been bad at the major league level though. 172ABs vs RHP and he's hitting just .215.

And like I said in my edit, I don't think the walks will come as often if he can't hit the fastball.

If anything Tank has the opportunity to prove he should be "in the mix" for next year but if there is an upgrade available at 1B/DH/LF then obviously you take it. And let's be honest say absolute best case Viciedo turns into a league average 1B that hits 260/300/450 -- that's still hardly even a 1.5 WAR player -- and that's best case. I just don't see him ever having enough power to carry his lack of fielding.

At least one of them will be fun to watch on another team. My guess is Sanchez.

On the other hand, who knows? Hahn's mind is a beautiful, flourishing place yet shrouded in myatery.

If there is a team out there that wants to overpay for Alexei, then the entire trio could stay, but yeah, it's hard to imagine all four of them still here next year given the other holes that need to be filled.