The Story of Soxtalk?

iWiN4PreP

I'm interested to hear about the story of Soxtalk.com.

Why was it created? How did this place get so popular. There are people with over 100,000 posts on this forum. I have been here for over 10 years.

This place keeps activity even when the White Sox are not a good team.

I know other teams have forums similar to this, but this sure seems to be a very good one relative to many others.

Whenever I think of creating a forum I always wonder how I will attract people. How did soxtalk start?

Just curious.

I can't even recall how I ended up here.

Edited by iWin4Ron

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also love to know how this site was created and by who. Seems like it would be a cool story and I am curious how the board was during the 05 season.

I am glad I found this board, it has been a lot of fun to read everyone's insight on baseball and a bunch of other stuff. I have also received a lot of help with information about Chicago when I first started visiting on my own. Also was able to find someone to take pictures of when I asked my fiancee to marry me in Chicago with the help of IlliniKrush (Brian, I still owe you!). Received some tickets in exchange for a promotion going on at the game I was in town for (thanks again, HickoryHuskers). There are some great people on this site and to me this isn't just a White Sox board, it is a community that a lot of us spend a lot of time on.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 12:04 AM)
I would also love to know how this site was created and by who. Seems like it would be a cool story and I am curious how the board was during the 05 season.

I am glad I found this board, it has been a lot of fun to read everyone's insight on baseball and a bunch of other stuff. I have also received a lot of help with information about Chicago when I first started visiting on my own. Also was able to find someone to take pictures of when I asked my fiancee to marry me in Chicago with the help of IlliniKrush (Brian, I still owe you!). Received some tickets in exchange for a promotion going on at the game I was in town for (thanks again, HickoryHuskers). There are some great people on this site and to me this isn't just a White Sox board, it is a community that a lot of us spend a lot of time on.

Chisoxfn is the owner and I think the creator.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Feb 11, 2016 -> 10:04 PM)
...and I am curious how the board was during the 05 season.

I for one was in my bedroom with plastic sheeting draping walls and bottles of champagne spraying everywhere. I live in a small California town with no other die hard Sox fans.

So that happened and then in a drunken stooper, I wrote about it here.

I am curious how the board was during the 05 season.

Haha, it was crazy! I remember watching every single game and always having the SoxTalk game thread open to discuss every little detail. I learned a lot about baseball from those game threads when I was just 16 or so years old.

I was living in Florida at the time, so getting a chance to talk to other White Sox fans about the playoffs that year was certainly irreplaceable. All the talk about the media bias, crazy Ozzie Guillen, the weird nicknames we had for players were great. The amount of activity on the board was very high too. Playing pick to click was fun.

Great stuff.

the truth is, Chisoxfn planted a virus redirect code in WSI and Whitesox.com and everyone came over to soxtalk thinking that it was thier normal site redesigned. Nobody is supposed to know this, but it has been 10 years and it is finally time to let people know

the truth is, Chisoxfn planted a virus redirect code in WSI and Whitesox.com and everyone came over to soxtalk thinking that it was thier normal site redesigned. Nobody is supposed to know this, but it has been 10 years and it is finally time to let people know

Yeah, like he's bright enough to pull that off . . .

now, i remember the time when it all started, but i will say, when the main group came over, the internet and different sport site forum was a little crazy then. it really was on some days, a free for all and posters will be posting about 100 post a day.

i will tell you one thing, the soxtalk crew took all comers and usually won.

now, the owners needed to get this rowdy group under control and it is thru him, and the yrs, sox talk has been bless in having good to great admin or mods to help keep this site fresh, having a common theme.... that theme is all sox and sox prospects.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 09:42 AM)
Why do you think the admin/mod staff is here. It quite literally takes all of us to prevent mass-Gaging of the board. Let us not forget the Gaging of 2004. May they all RIP.

We lost thousands of posts/post counts when the system site transfer crashed, iirc.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 05:10 PM)
We lost thousands of posts/post counts when the system site transfer crashed, iirc.

oh i remember that, but, at that time, this site was growing by leaps and bounds. i was surprise that anyone was able to keep up. wasn't that problem a server problem or was it hacked.

the best thing jason did was getting the admin and mods to help.....

Not sure where I heard about Soxtalk first but my hazy memory seems to recall it like this:

I was posting on WSI... They were being their usual tyrant like selves... A poster there sent me a PM saying, "these guys are douche bags and you're cool. Come join Soxtalk, where douche bags aren't welcome."

That was likely Jason.

This site is the bees knees... I've met up with posters at games ( when the Sox play the Angles here in California ), had posters hook me up whenever I'm in Chicago, been banned for posting my loco muses of poop, and over all have had a wonderfully beautimous time.

Long live Soxtalk!

QUOTE (hi8is @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 12:46 PM)
Not sure where I heard about Soxtalk first but my hazy memory seems to recall it like this:

I was posting on WSI... They were being their usual tyrant like selves... A poster there sent me a PM saying, "these guys are douche bags and you're cool. Come join Soxtalk, where douche bags aren't welcome."

That was likely Jason.

This site is the bees knees... I've met up with posters at games ( when the Sox play the Angles here in California ), had posters hook me up whenever I'm in Chicago, been banned for posting my loco muses of poop, and over all have had a wonderfully beautimous time.

Long live Soxtalk!

poop