4/17 games

maxjusttyped

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 18, 2016 -> 02:40 PM)
State your case.

The alternative possibilities for top prospect, Anderson and Fulmer, are both showing early that their number 1 issues (plate discipline and control respectively) are real issues that they need to work on.

Meanwhile, Adams has improved on his already terrific K/BB rate (the number one predictor of major league success), has reportedly been touching 96 with potential to add more after struggling at times to maintain velo last year and is, to boot, over 2 years younger than the other two guys whilst only a level or two behind.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Apr 18, 2016 -> 03:53 PM)
The alternative possibilities for top prospect, Anderson and Fulmer, are both showing early that their number 1 issues (plate discipline and control respectively) are real issues that they need to work on.

Meanwhile, Adams has improved on his already terrific K/BB rate (the number one predictor of major league success), has reportedly been touching 96 with potential to add more after struggling at times to maintain velo last year and is, to boot, over 2 years younger than the other two guys whilst only a level or two behind.

I think the idea that Adams has leaped over Anderson and Fulmer based on 2 starts / 5 games seems... incredibly premature. Especially since all we are working from, really is stats.

As for Adams specifically, I am not sure where you get "the number one predictor of major league success" for K/BB rate. I don't think any stat can be the number one predictor. And as for touching 96 with potential for more... he was more low 90's most of last year. He was 92-95, T96 in rookie ball in 2014, in a short stint. He's not been back there since, that I am aware of. Do you know what his velo or stuff have been like this year?

Adams could be #1 by the end of the year. But declaring it now, based on a very small sample of stats, just doesn't fly.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 18, 2016 -> 04:15 PM)
I think the idea that Adams has leaped over Anderson and Fulmer based on 2 starts / 5 games seems... incredibly premature. Especially since all we are working from, really is stats.

As for Adams specifically, I am not sure where you get "the number one predictor of major league success" for K/BB rate. I don't think any stat can be the number one predictor. And as for touching 96 with potential for more... he was more low 90's most of last year. He was 92-95, T96 in rookie ball in 2014, in a short stint. He's not been back there since, that I am aware of. Do you know what his velo or stuff have been like this year?

Adams could be #1 by the end of the year. But declaring it now, based on a very small sample of stats, just doesn't fly.

Oh I'm not really basing it on the small sample of this year, more that it's a continuation of what I was already feeling. One or two outlets had Adams number 1 preseason so I'm not alone. I posted that he seemed to be struggling with velo at points last year compared to what he was expected to be at. BP's preseason rankings list had him sitting 92-94 touching 96, that's where I got that from. I thought I had heard that his velo was up this year but I can't actually find anything to confirm that so maybe I'm mistaken. The facts that are most indicative of future major league success are, in order, for a pitcher: age to level, K% and BB%. That comes from Chris Mitchell's research. http://www.hardballtimes.com/katoh-forecas...r-league-stats/ Obviously there's so many variables, that goes without saying.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Apr 18, 2016 -> 05:13 PM)
Oh I'm not really basing it on the small sample of this year, more that it's a continuation of what I was already feeling. One or two outlets had Adams number 1 preseason so I'm not alone. I posted that he seemed to be struggling with velo at points last year compared to what he was expected to be at. BP's preseason rankings list had him sitting 92-94 touching 96, that's where I got that from. I thought I had heard that his velo was up this year but I can't actually find anything to confirm that so maybe I'm mistaken. The facts that are most indicative of future major league success are, in order, for a pitcher: age to level, K% and BB%. That comes from Chris Mitchell's research. http://www.hardballtimes.com/katoh-forecas...r-league-stats/ Obviously there's so many variables, that goes without saying.

The BP report was from Chris Crawford, and he was rightfully panned for that whole T10 list he made (it was full of old and inaccurate data). I honestly don't know if his velo is back up this year, I've heard no reports either way. But I put in a question about it to a friend who might know.

As for predicting major league success, K rates may be one of the best STATS for it, but any stats are far down the list of predictors. It's great to see, don't get me wrong, but I think this is a big leap at this point in time. We'll see in a few months though.

I'll be in Winston-Salem (and Kanny, and maybe Charlotte) in June, and hopefully I can catch him in person.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 19, 2016 -> 01:01 PM)
The BP report was from Chris Crawford, and he was rightfully panned for that whole T10 list he made (it was full of old and inaccurate data). I honestly don't know if his velo is back up this year, I've heard no reports either way. But I put in a question about it to a friend who might know.

As for predicting major league success, K rates may be one of the best STATS for it, but any stats are far down the list of predictors. It's great to see, don't get me wrong, but I think this is a big leap at this point in time. We'll see in a few months though.

I'll be in Winston-Salem (and Kanny, and maybe Charlotte) in June, and hopefully I can catch him in person.

Fair enough on the BP report.

I'd also disagree on stats being far down the list of predictors, especially the higher you go.

Time will tell!