4/22 Games

NorthSideSox72

MiLB scoreboard

MLBFarm day-sheet (sheet is empty until games start)

Gwinnett @ Charlotte, 6:05ct, Gonzalez

Birmingham @ Chattanooga, 6:15ct, Danish

Winston-Salem @ Salem, 6:05ct, Adams

Delmarva @ Kannapolis, 6:05ct, Martinez

Good pitching slate for tonight.

Will Adams keep dominating? Will Danish keep improving? Is Gonzalez MLB-ready? Will Lassiter keep his on-base streak?

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 08:02 PM)
Another awful showing for the prospects tonight. Adams gives up far too many hits to be a big prospect.

Most posters, I'd assume you were joking. But as you're typically so dour... really? Adams has been doing quite well so far.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 03:55 AM)
Most posters, I'd assume you were joking. But as you're typically so dour... really? Adams has been doing quite well so far.

Nope, serious. All his peripherals have been great in his minor league career except hits allowed. His command might be too good and throws too many strikes.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 10:16 PM)
Nope, serious. All his peripherals have been great in his minor league career except hits allowed. His command might be too good and throws too many strikes.

Saying it's something to watch, or a concern, I get. Saying it prevents him from being a big prospect is just drama.

I hope he's still in W-S when I get down there in June so I can see him in person.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 04:35 AM)
Nice job by Sanchez and Coats homering in the 9th.

Adams had an early 9-0 lead. Maybe a little let up, and he challenged guys. I wouldn't read into this start too deep.

Adams did face the superstar Red Sox affiliate

I would say learning to throw LESS strikes is much preferred to someone who needs to learn how to throw MORE strikes. I'm not worried in the slightest about Adams.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 08:02 PM)
Another awful showing for the prospects tonight. Adams gives up far too many hits to be a big prospect.

All I really care about with pitching prospects is peripherals, especially at the stage Adams is at. Not concerned in the slightest about the hits.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 12:02 AM)
All I really care about with pitching prospects is peripherals, especially at the stage Adams is at. Not concerned in the slightest about the hits.

All I look at peripherals as well, but just K/9, BB/9, and HR/9. H/9 would be nice to have low, but if the other 3 are good, i'm not worried.

If that's truly the case, with his command he'll learn and adjust as he matures as a pitcher.

QUOTE (staxx @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 08:10 AM)
Baseball is a long long season.

While it is, we already had a lack of talented hitters in the system. And the ones who seemingly had the most talent have so far done nothing to assuage concerns about their weakness. Tim Anderson has 15 Ks to 0 BBs on the season, Engel is still striking out more than once a game and making little contact, Zangari is striking out nearly twice per game and May is striking out a lot and not walking. Thus far, no one is taking a step forward offensively. That is immensely concerning for system that barely had any hitting prospects to begin with.

Add these struggles with the lack of top pitchers dominating thus far, and I think Fathom's concern is well founded. Of course it's early, but our prospects do not seem to be improving upon the areas that have caused the most concern.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 01:23 PM)
Recap from last night's games (sorry, forgot to post it back here).

North, I notice that even in A ball, the manager players some org. guys ahead of younger guys whom I would assume are prospects. Do you know why?

i guess you can get lucky with an org guy once in a while (see the Braves 3B) but it seems odd in A ball.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 08:08 PM)
North, I notice that even in A ball, the manager players some org. guys ahead of younger guys whom I would assume are prospects. Do you know why?

i guess you can get lucky with an org guy once in a while (see the Braves 3B) but it seems odd in A ball.

With the Sox, what I've been told is, they usually dictate the top 3 players in the lineup. The manager then has discretion on how to order the others. I am sure that is not a hard and fast rule, more a "this is usually what we do" thing. Jacob May has been hitting 9th, despite being a real prospect, for example. I think that's being done because he's very challenged at AAA and they want to bring him a long with less pressure. It depends on the case of course.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 09:14 AM)
With the Sox, what I've been told is, they usually dictate the top 3 players in the lineup. The manager then has discretion on how to order the others. I am sure that is not a hard and fast rule, more a "this is usually what we do" thing. Jacob May has been hitting 9th, despite being a real prospect, for example. I think that's being done because he's very challenged at AAA and they want to bring him a long with less pressure. It depends on the case of course.

I was really thinking about not being in the lineup at all. For example, Leonards (2014 pick) rarely plays for the DAsh, but an org. guy plays every day.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 04:54 PM)
I was really thinking about not being in the lineup at all. For example, Leonards (2014 pick) rarely plays for the DAsh, but an org. guy plays every day.

Who is the org guy? Montilla? I'm not sure Leonards is much more than an org guy anyway.