So let's talk about the real change this year...

southsider2k5

The defense.

I know someone posted the defensive stats the other day, and the Sox were near the top of the league in pretty much everything. Is the change in defense just due to Jackson and Frazier coming in? If so, what is causing the change in a guy like Melky Cabrera?

The big coaching change that has hardly been mentioned this year is Rick Renteria coming in this year. Could a big part of the changes be the doing of Renteria?

Yeah, the pitching has been unreal, but I would love to know how to quantify how the changes in the defense has benefited the pitching numbers.

Frazier certainly has helped but really its been the OF. Melky has been good, Jackson has been good, and Eaton has been amazing. This time last year, Melky was bad, Eaton was mediocre, and Avi was brutal. Lawrie has been better than advertised at 2nd so far as well. I think this team has already converted 15 or so outs that last years team wouldn't have. Most of them in the OF.

Micah and Avi replaced with Eaton and Lawrie. Obviously Sanchez came up and solidified 2B defense but Micah was historically awful for the first 30 or so games.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 06:10 PM)
The defense.

I know someone posted the defensive stats the other day, and the Sox were near the top of the league in pretty much everything. Is the change in defense just due to Jackson and Frazier coming in? If so, what is causing the change in a guy like Melky Cabrera?

The big coaching change that has hardly been mentioned this year is Rick Renteria coming in this year. Could a big part of the changes be the doing of Renteria?

Yeah, the pitching has been unreal, but I would love to know how to quantify how the changes in the defense has benefited the pitching numbers.

I literally just posted this another thread, but I think the Renteria addition is having a huge impact on the team.

Defense has been the biggest improvement.

Latos in and Noesi out has been a nice upgrade as well.

Danks is a sunk cost. He gets paid whether he pitches or weeds his garden. But I doubt they'll let him weed his garden, so he's going to take up a spot on the 25 man.

Hope Gonzales pitches well.

Edited by GreenSox

Its the personnel, I dont doubt the coaches have had a positive impact on guys like Cabrera, Abreu and especially Eaton (white Heyward) but they have replaced:

Conor Gillaspie

Avisail Garcia

Carlos Sanchez/Micah Johnson/HOT s***

Tyler Flowers

Alexei Ramirez

with

Todd Frazier

Tyler Saladino/Jimmy Rollins

Austin Jackson

Brett Lawrie

Navarro/Avila/now Smith

I mean... that's turning over 5 players. And one of those turnovers allowed Eaton to move to his new home in RF where he has been absolutely out of control good defensively.

http://nypost.com/2016/04/25/the-15-day-dl...-how-to-fix-it/

White Sox showing off the leather

The Cubs have gotten a lot of Second City love – rightfully so. But the White Sox ended the weekend in first place as well. Their pitching has received a lot of praise, but hand in hand with that has been excellent defense.

The White Sox ranked just 25th in strikeouts per nine innings (7.5) and second in team ERA (2.28). Of the 105 pitchers qualified for the ERA title, Mat Latos (4.8) had the seventh-lowest strikeout rate per nine innings. Yet, he was 4-0 with a 0.74 ERA.

The ball is in play. Last year, that was a disaster for the White Sox. They ranked 28th in defensive efficiency – how many balls in play are turned into outs. This year, they are first (the Cubs were second).

The keys have been Austin Jackson being signed to play center, which has moved Adam Eaton to right (where he is far better, and it gets the subpar Avisail Garcia off the field). Todd Frazier is viewed as an above-average third baseman, and the shortstop duo of Jimmy Rollins and Tyler Saladino is an upgrade from Alexei Ramirez.

Frazier's impact is so huge. Even with this slump factored in -- say it never even goes away, for argument's sake -- you can carry his current WAR out to 600 PAs and it comes out to 2.25......a big improvement over the guys we had manning things last year

Edited by Jose Paniagua

I would believe that Renteria is a part of it along with the addition of guys like Frazier and Jackson. The outfield is so much better this year, and that has been mainly due to Jackson. Eaton has been great in right, and Melky has stepped up his game. Frazier is really good at third...it is so fun watching a game with a glove like his there. One of the biggest surprises to me has been Lawrie. He's been solid at second, plus he's had some amazing plays there.

I think when players with big personalities come in, the entire team can be affected. In this case, the additions of Frazier, Latos, Lawrie, and Jackson have done wonders for this team.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Apr 26, 2016 -> 10:57 AM)
8 DRS already too, and the eye test definitely backs up both metrics.

Some of his reads and jumps are amazing. The triple play the other day was a great example. A mediocre RFer probably doesn't get to that ball without a good jump.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 26, 2016 -> 10:58 AM)
Some of his reads and jumps are amazing. The triple play the other day was a great example. A mediocre RFer probably doesn't get to that ball without a good jump.

Even on plays that don't result in outs. Saunders should have had an easy double and maybe triple on his line drive hit in the 7th, but Eaton got to it quickly and held him to a single.