Miguel Gonzalez optioned to AAA, Daniel Webb called up

Kyyle23

Least exciting move ever? Webb to me is one of the faces of our struggles last couple years. Dude can't throw strikes consistently. he's done okay in minors but that was the case previous times as well. hope it's just a short term move. At least Kahnle's a fresh face.

QUOTE (ronkark @ Apr 27, 2016 -> 02:07 PM)
Least exciting move ever? Webb to me is one of the faces of our struggles last couple years. Dude can't throw strikes consistently. he's done okay in minors but that was the case previous times as well. hope it's just a short term move. At least Kahnle's a fresh face.

I'm a bit puzzled why it wasn't Kahnle either, maybe because Webb can go longer? At least Webb hasn't walked anyone yet this year.

Ugh. We have the best bullpen in baseball right now. Why would we put this dumpster fire in it?

Bring up Shuck or Coats. We need more than a three man bench. What we don't need is a reliever who can't throw strikes and has been horrible for his entire career minus 2013.

I guess he's getting a chance because he's allowed no walks in 10 innings this year. I don't think that'll continue, so I hope he's kept far away from any amount of "leverage" at all.

I'm a bit puzzled why it wasn't Kahnle either, maybe because Webb can go longer? At least Webb hasn't walked anyone yet this year.

When someone gets called up while the Sox are in Toronto, passport issues are always a possibility as to why one guy over another.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Apr 27, 2016 -> 02:21 PM)
Coats is on the DL and Shuck is bad. If the Sox find themselves up (or down) big again in the next 5 games that is when Webb will be used. They're shuffling chairs around for something that I assume has to do with Danks.

Yeah I assume Webb is here to take any garbage innings so that our actually valuable relievers don't have to during this long stretch with no offdays. He can easily go 3 innings in a blowout win or loss if needed.

QUOTE (God Loves The Infantry @ Apr 27, 2016 -> 02:18 PM)
Ugh. We have the best bullpen in baseball right now. Why would we put this dumpster fire in it?

Bring up Shuck or Coats. We need more than a three man bench. What we don't need is a reliever who can't throw strikes and has been horrible for his entire career minus 2013.

I guess he's getting a chance because he's allowed no walks in 10 innings this year. I don't think that'll continue, so I hope he's kept far away from any amount of "leverage" at all.

He's the garbage man. If Danks is trash, Webb will come take it out. He isn't going to see important work without some serious proving of himself.

Shuck can't come up and Coats is on the DL. I believe this is just for 2 days which is why it was Webb and not Kahnle. They can jerk Webb around without a care. He likely wont pitch for the Sox in this stint, unless Danks gets destroyed. When they call Kahnle up it'll probably be for a more permanent role or at least longer than 2 days.

Shuck is eligible in 2 days, he'll get called back up for Webb. Bench is more important then pen right now when one of our 3 bench players is a 4th string catcher.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Apr 27, 2016 -> 04:55 PM)
Just as confused as you are. Thought he was out as well.

Webb is the definition of a AAAA pitcher.

One was used in '12 and another in '14 so he had one left. He almost had 2 left; he spent 25 total days in the minors in 2014, 6 less days and it wouldn't have burned an option.

We've played almost all of april with no days off, this is just to prevent overusing an arm in an emergency. He may not pitch for 8 days and they don't care. Kahnle they may like and want to keep him on his schedule.

Looking forward to Shuck though, I'm going to guess in may we have a few spells of heavy subs after relying so hard on Frazier/Lawrie/Abreu/Melky

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 27, 2016 -> 05:20 PM)
One was used in '12 and another in '14 so he had one left. He almost had 2 left; he spent 25 total days in the minors in 2014, 6 less days and it wouldn't have burned an option.

I wonder who keeps track of the options used. Is there a spreadsheet somewhere to keep track of it? Hmmm

Nice catch.

Thanks for that. Crazy how all that works. I think it was his age that through me off. I guess I don't figure guys in their 30's to have options left.