White Sox interested in SS Ian Desmond

caulfield12

Now whether it will happen or not, we might have to be content with just one...

Both are buy low/er guys.

Both give us more speed and athleticism.

Jackson, as opposed to Fowler, wouldn't cost the draft pick.

Both are still "younger" players in their primes.

Jackson has had success in the AL Central already.

Desmond can theoretically move to the outfield, 2b or DH (rotating) depending on what happens with Saladino, Anderson and Lawrie.

Both would probably be willing to take shorter term deals (1-2 years), so the Sox would have more financial flexibility going forward...fwiw, i'd rather have Desmond for three but his agent probably won't go for that.

Other than taking a stab at Latos or Lincecum, there aren't many starting pitching options left on the board. Fister...we already have enough lefties and he's lost so much velocity. Cliff Lee, but he wants too much guaranteed money in order not to retire.

At the very least, the White Sox need to add one more significant contributor if they really want to create some excitement in the fanbase...the momentum has pretty much ground to a halt.

Next year is horrific for free agents and we already know a ton is coming off the books for Danks and LaRoche. That money would more than cover Jackson and Desmond.

Taking a loss now is increasingly more attractive than having to overpay next year at this time.

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 04:19 AM)
Now whether it will happen or not, we might have to be content with just one...

Both are buy low/er guys.

Both give us more speed and athleticism.

Jackson, as opposed to Fowler, wouldn't cost the draft pick.

Both are still "younger" players in their primes.

Jackson has had success in the AL Central already.

Desmond can theoretically move to the outfield, 2b or DH (rotating) depending on what happens with Saladino, Anderson and Lawrie.

Both would probably be willing to take shorter term deals (1-2 years), so the Sox would have more financial flexibility going forward...fwiw, i'd rather have Desmond for three but his agent probably won't go for that.

Other than taking a stab at Latos or Lincecum, there aren't many starting pitching options left on the board. Fister...we already have enough lefties and he's lost so much velocity. Cliff Lee, but he wants too much guaranteed money in order not to retire.

At the very least, the White Sox need to add one more significant contributor if they really want to create some excitement in the fanbase...the momentum has pretty much ground to a halt.

Next year is horrific for free agents and we already know a ton is coming off the books for Danks and LaRoche. That money would more than cover Jackson and Desmond.

Taking a loss now is increasingly more attractive than having to overpay next year at this time.

I assume that you meant to refer to Lee, not Fister, when you suggested that "we already have enough lefties"

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 06:32 AM)
if the sox do not get any of the price of"ers that was or still is on the market, i can settle for the next tier of players like A. Jackson and he covering cf.

If we get Jackson, what do you do with Eaton? Put him in left and move Melky to DH? I don't know if Melky or Eaton could play right.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 07:12 AM)
If we get Jackson, what do you do with Eaton? Put him in left and move Melky to DH? I don't know if Melky or Eaton could play right.

Cabrera in right...Eaton in LF.

Cabrera has the bigger arm.

I just dont see adding Jackson or Fowler to have them play LF. LaRoche would DH with Garcia.

Granted, it's not ideal. The problem is there aren't many natural RFers on the market. Who knows...we'll probably end up with Markakis 2-3 years too late.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 01:54 PM)
Cabrera in right...Eaton in LF.

Cabrera has the bigger arm.

I just dont see adding Jackson or Fowler to have them play LF. LaRoche would DH with Garcia.

Granted, it's not ideal. The problem is there aren't many natural RFers on the market. Who knows...we'll probably end up with Markakis 2-3 years too late.

Justin Upton is a natural Right Fielder.....

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)
But has no interest in playing for the White Sox apparently...the only AL team currently connected to him is the Rangers.

Never believe what you read in the media. If the money is right, he'll come.

What slugger wouldn't want to come to the Cell.

QUOTE (glangon @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 08:11 AM)

I feel like we've been saying that about every new power hitter since Nick Swisher with less than ideal results to show for it...

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 01:12 PM)

you make an excellent point, i was thinking of eaton in rf. if he was able to do cf, i was thinking he may have the smarts / talent to play rf.

QUOTE (glangon @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 08:11 AM)

The money would have to be right = either long term or massive AAV, something the Sox almost never do, especially a llayer that more than once has said no to the Sox as an option.

The problem with Uoton is if he really doesn't want to be a White Sox, then financially you are probably going to have to significantly outbid a more desired location. The other thing is, if the guy didn't want to be here but came for the money, is that really the guy you want to be paying a high percentage of your payroll? That would be up to Hahn and KW to figure if that could be overcome. There have been guys that didn't want to be somewhere, and it showed in their performance, and guys who had their minds changed.

Keep in mind, when paying players $20 million or more a year, there really are very few, if any, without red flags. It is a gamble that often doesn't work out. And that isn't a White Sox problem as they have never had a $20 million a year player.

Austin Jackson's fWAR since entering the league:

2010 4.0

2011 2.4

2012 5.4

2013 3.0

2014 0.9

2015 2.3

Its not a sexy name, but there is a lot of value in a guy that doesnt cost a pick, plays above average defense, and can run the bases well. Fowler is a hotter name because of his ability to get on base, but I bet they have pretty similar values next season.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 02:32 PM)
Austin Jackson's fWAR since entering the league:

2010 4.0

2011 2.4

2012 5.4

2013 3.0

2014 0.9

2015 2.3

Its not a sexy name, but there is a lot of value in a guy that doesnt cost a pick, plays above average defense, and can run the bases well. Fowler is a hotter name because of his ability to get on base, but I bet they have pretty similar values next season.

I would much rather sign Austin Jackson than Dexter Fowler. Jackson lets you keep you the comp pick and gives you another good defender. It could move Eaton to an OF corner. It also allows you to sit LaRoche vs LHP if they also keep Avi. Sox have had weirdly constructed teams before.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 09:49 PM)
I would much rather sign Austin Jackson than Dexter Fowler. Jackson lets you keep you the comp pick and gives you another good defender. It could move Eaton to an OF corner. It also allows you to sit LaRoche vs LHP if they also keep Avi. Sox have had weirdly constructed teams before.

a voice of reasoning.

I'm not going to say that I don't want to see Cespedes on the Sox, but I will say that for the same money (at least over the next two years or so), the Sox could sign two of Desmond, Fowler, Jackson, and a picher (Latos for example).

Fowler or Jackson gets you a solid #2 hitter and would be an improvement over Garcia. Desmond could also be a #2 hitter (I'm not as certain there), and he could be an improvement over Saladino, at least with experience. And adding a veteran pitcher on a decent contract certainly couldn't hurt.

I don't think that Jackson or Fowler will sign before Cespedes does, though. The waiting game continues.

Edited by pittshoganerkoff

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 18, 2016 -> 03:49 PM)

The sox need to maximize any capability it has to stock the farm system with talent. With a comp pick that pretty much is a late first round pick the only reason we should vacate it is if the talent and the impact to the team is worth it. Dexter Fowler will make the team better. He however is not worth a first round pick. Sign Austin Jackson or Cespedes. Draft talent and for god sakes develop it.

There's plenty that's attractive about Jackson, but most of all I agree with those who've emphasized that he doesn't have the pick attached.

Desmond, nah. I'd rather just roll with Saladino. He's a league minimum guy we're reasonably sure can provide plus defense in a lineup painfully short on guys like that. We can live with his bat, though less so than if we add Jackson to the outfield than Cespedes.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 04:15 PM)
There's plenty that's attractive about Jackson, but most of all I agree with those who've emphasized that he doesn't have the pick attached.

Desmond, nah. I'd rather just roll with Saladino. He's a league minimum guy we're reasonably sure can provide plus defense in a lineup painfully short on guys like that. We can live with his bat, though less so than if we add Jackson to the outfield than Cespedes.

the main thing i see in many post is the fans are not wanting the club to spend money foolishly but to be smart and finish what they started.

would it be nice for cespy..... yeah but i think a backup plan or player like jackson will do fine.. and have money to spare for other final tweaks.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 05:06 PM)
If they miss out on Cespedes, I think they go in with the team they have. Sometimes the best move is no move.

if they do that, imo i think it will be the wrong move.

the fans will really protest......