Orioles DO NOT Sign Fowler

southsider2k5

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emma works for the score, Levine works for the score. Levine said the same thing a few days ago.Hmmmmm. Are they dating? :P

Seriously though. I think it's very believable it comes down to both Chicago teams.

I agree that Fowler would probably prefer the cubs but one interesting thing has been speculated and that's the possibility of the cubs desire to get compensation for Fowler because as of now their first pick would be #104 overall in the draft. OTOH, punting the draft and signing Fowler to give them a solid lead off bat ain't a bad idea either.

Should be interesting to see where Fowler ends up.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 01:04 AM)
Emma works for the score, Levine works for the score. Levine said the same thing a few days ago.Hmmmmm. Are they dating? :P

Seriously though. I think it's very believable it comes down to both Chicago teams.

I agree that Fowler would probably prefer the cubs but one interesting thing has been speculated and that's the possibility of the cubs desire to get compensation for Fowler because as of now their first pick would be #104 overall in the draft. OTOH, punting the draft and signing Fowler to give them a solid lead off bat ain't a bad idea either.

Should be interesting to see where Fowler ends up.

They don't care about the draft. They will just spend a fortune on Lazarito with the money they can't spend on the draft

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 06:06 PM)
They don't care about the draft. They will just spend a fortune on Lazarito with the money they can't spend on the draft

I wouldn't be surprised if that's how it went down.

I think Fowler is giving the cubs a chance to finish their arbitration cases, Arrieta, and then see what the Cubs offer will be.

The idea of trading Coghlan is the smarter move. Soler blows in RF so signing Fowler to play CF, playing Heyward in RF and moving Soler into a platoon role in LF with Schwarber makes a ton of sense. Especially with how Maddon does a good job with platoon-type players.

I'll be completely honest & say I really want Fowler.

I really think he could be the difference between the Sox getting a WC spot & not.

Going off of history, he could very well be worth about 3 games from him to Avi. That could be big, especially in this division.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 10:15 PM)
Don't sign Fowler until Jackson isn't available and you've exhausted trade opportunities. It would really sting to lose the 25th overall pick for him.

Agree 100%

Sox have a big opportunity with this draft and the allotments that they will get. Can't trade that away for an average player when you're trying to build for the long term.

I feel like people are SEVERELY overrating the value of the compensation pick in this situation.

Yeah, the Sox need to build their system, but they also need to win NOW while the core is cheap and young. For every Trout that gets picked 25th or so overall, there's also 25 Aaron Poreda's who flame out and never amount to anything significant.

The bottom line in my opinion is that the Sox need to win now, and unless the guy that they plan on picking with the compensation pick is a lock (or as close to a lock that a draft pick can be) to contributing soon, I don't mind giving up the pick for the sure thing in Fowler who can help the team out significantly in the present.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 11:17 PM)
I feel like people are SEVERELY overrating the value of the compensation pick in this situation.

Yeah, the Sox need to build their system, but they also need to win NOW while the core is cheap and young. For every Trout that gets picked 25th or so overall, there's also 25 Aaron Poreda's who flame out and never amount to anything significant.

The bottom line in my opinion is that the Sox need to win now, and unless the guy that they plan on picking with the compensation pick is a lock (or as close to a lock that a draft pick can be) to contributing soon, I don't mind giving up the pick for the sure thing in Fowler who can help the team out significantly in the present.

If my options are Avi Garcia on Opening Day or Fowler, I'm taking Fowler, but my point is that other, less costly options are still available.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 02:24 AM)
Why trade multiple prospects instead of just giving up one future prospect that the draft pick is?

I'm guessing that's exactly what the White Sox are figuring out. What is the best deal for them? Losing 2 middle prospects to get someone like Ethier? Losing one potential top 3 system guy with the comp pick for Fowler? What about the salary coming in of the new player, is he worth the price, does it still allow for more flexibility to add another player? I assume they will come up with an answer soon.

Fowler seems the most logical to me, but ya never know what these remaining FA's are asking for in salary. You would imagine the Sox should get a good deal on whoever they bring in if it is a FA but I thought they had Cespedes coming here and I was wrong on that. I just don't see many trade options left at this point and why I think Fowler should and will be the guy. The Sox may make a move like Jackson instead seeing as there is no pick attached and still leaves money for a SP upgrade or maybe bring in Desmond at SS too.