Merkin Suggests Sox go after Puig

Princess Dye

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange that this is coming from Merkin.

Quintana and a second-tier reliever for Puig and Guerrero OR Hernandez.

The problem is reconciling the years of control left for the two centerpieces. If Q and Puig were in the same situation contractually, you could argue it more realistically.

Obvious targets like Rodon, Eaton and Fulmer are seemingly untouchable. Just doesn't feel like the right fit at this time.

Also completely dependent on Sox confidence in Fulmer and Johnson. You're still going to have to roll the dice with Jacob Turner and/or Latos, Lincecum, Cliff Lee, etc. if you make this move.

In the final summary, more logical from a marketing perspective than reality.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 06:52 PM)
Strange that this is coming from Merkin.

Quintana and a second-tier reliever for Puig and Guerrero OR Hernandez.

The problem is reconciling the years of control left for the two centerpieces. If Q and Puig were in the same situation contractually, you could argue it more realistically.

Obvious targets like Rodon, Eaton and Fulmer are seemingly untouchable. Just doesn't feel like the right fit at this time.

Also completely dependent on Sox confidence in Fulmer and Johnson. You're still going to have to roll the dice with Jacob Turner and/or Latos, Lincecum, Cliff Lee, etc. if you make this move.

In the final summary, more logical from a marketing perspective than reality.

That trade makes no sense for either side.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 07:25 PM)
That trade makes no sense for either side.

If the Dodgers are completely unsure about Ryu and McCarthy...and also considering Anderson hadn't thrown so many innings in ages after all his injuries prior to last year.

Unless you're going to trade them Robertson. It's not like they have any glaring weaknesses we can fill.

Edited by caulfield12

The problem is meeting the Dodgers' likely asking price, with the White Sox wanting to hold on to top prospects such as right-handed pitchers Carson Fulmer and Spencer Adams and shortstop Tim Anderson, and already having traded away five prospects during the offseason.

So why did you write the article Merkin? Was your favorite show on The Masterbation Network an old re-run?

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 08:55 PM)
Well, it's not like they have any need for Tim Anderson with best prospect in the game there.

As far as it being so easy to fill that hole...sure...if you're willing to spend money/increase payroll.

Which is why it's not really a good fit.

And if you have to fill the RF hole with a trade because you won't spend, how do you fill the SP hole?

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 08:18 PM)
The only way I could see this being remotely possible would be something like Q for Puig/Wood.

Puig has warts galore, not going to give up Quintana for him. Or any starting pitcher for that matter; for all the talk of moving Danks, unless you have a viable replacement in the plan via either signing a FA or making a 2nd trade to replace the 180 innings Danks eats up, Sox just can't afford to lose any starting pitching. Hell, they're already keeping their fingers crossed that EJ can eat up the majority of Shark's near 200 innings last season, and that's far from a sure thing.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 08:35 PM)
Puig has warts galore, not going to give up Quintana for him. Or any starting pitcher for that matter; for all the talk of moving Danks, unless you have a viable replacement in the plan via either signing a FA or making a 2nd trade to replace the 180 innings Danks eats up, Sox just can't afford to lose any starting pitching. Hell, they're already keeping their fingers crossed that EJ can eat up the majority of Shark's near 200 innings last season, and that's far from a sure thing.

Well, I did say "remotely possible". :P

Honestly man, I wanted nothing to do with Puig when his name came up at the deadline last season and that hasn't changed. Too much baggage comes with Puig and IMO, he's part of the reason Greinke didn't stick around LA.

Hmmmmm. Greinke and Puig will face off at some point during the season or maybe even in ST, could be interesting.

Robertson would be the trade that makes sense.

The Dodgers are after a quality reliever, we are looking for an outfielder.

We have Jones to take up the closing role.....

Although something in the back of my mind tells me that Robertson has a restricted no-trade list and the Dodgers are on it.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 06:18 PM)
The only way I could see this being remotely possible would be something like Q for Puig/Wood.

When I was reading through the Eithier thread. I started thinking how a blockbuster trade between the Dodgers and White Sox might work and it centered around Q but thinking of it made my brain hurt. I thought of reasonable Dodger targets (meaning no Seager). Pederson. Puig, Montas, Thompson any of their starters not named Kershaw. They have depth but not a lot of quality and a few oft injured guys .

I figured it could be done but I don't get paid to figure this s*** out, Hahn does ,so let his brain hurt.

Quintana for Pederson, Urias and Montas .Is that a big enough "small army" for Q ? Or we csan take Eithier instead but then we get another prospect.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 08:19 AM)
When I was reading through the Eithier thread. I started thinking how a blockbuster trade between the Dodgers and White Sox might work and it centered around Q but thinking of it made my brain hurt. I thought of reasonable Dodger targets (meaning no Seager). Pederson. Puig, Montas, Thompson any of their starters not named Kershaw. They have depth but not a lot of quality and a few oft injured guys .

I figured it could be done but I don't get paid to figure this s*** out, Hahn does ,so let his brain hurt.

Quintana for Pederson, Urias and Montas .Is that a big enough "small army" for Q ? Or we csan take Eithier instead but then we get another prospect.

The Dodgers would never do that deal.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 08:41 AM)
Why would you trade Q for an aging player with two years left?

Because there's no combination of players that gets you either Puig or Pederson that the White Sox are willing to part with...

That trade only works if the White Sox are confident that Urias/Montas will produce more upside than Quintana, which is a dubious bet.

Probably the most likely result is something like Ethier/Wood for Robertson and Danks.

As for Eminor's comments, you could just as persuasively argue the White Sox are not "actively" trying to win with Avi, Saladino, LaRoche and Johnson, either.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 08:19 AM)

I really don't see the Sox trading Q, I was just throwing that out there. The Dodgers have been very adamant in keeping certain prospects like Seager, Pederson, Urias and De Leon.

I'm with on bringing back TT. I like his game and should be a fine fourth outfielder but I can't come up with a trade package that the Dodgers might be interested in. Was hoping for something where the Sox offer to take on all of Ethier's contract and get Thompson for....... well, that's where I'm stuck. :lol: