2016 is the 25th anniversary of "New Comiskey Park" or USCF

southsider2k5

It seems crazy that it has been 25 years since the grand old lady was closed down for good and the "new" Comiskey Park was opened. It makes me feel old to think an entire generation of Sox fans is growing up not having been to a game there.

It is also worth mentioning that USCF is now the 9th oldest stadium in baseball, though soon could be 8th depending on what happens in Tampa.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 11:08 AM)
It seems crazy that it has been 25 years since the grand old lady was closed down for good and the "new" Comiskey Park was opened. It makes me feel old to think an entire generation of Sox fans is growing up not having been to a game there.

It is also worth mentioning that USCF is now the 9th oldest stadium in baseball, though soon could be 8th depending on what happens in Tampa.

The renovations helped a lot, if they never updated the outfield and upper deck it would feel every bit of that 25 years.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 12:04 PM)
To this day, I don't understand why they didn't build the Cell with the Chicago skyline in the background.

Unless you are way up in the Upper Deck, which people have moaned about, you wouldn't see much of the skyline if the park was turned around. I do think they have it facing the way it's facing is because of the parking lots. You would be loading a ton of people into LF.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 11:51 AM)
Honestly though that was probably the ugliest design possible. Especially in a city like Chicago, can't believe they'd put up such a basic, functional park.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 11:54 AM)
The renovations made it go from awful to actually pretty good

Agree with you both.

The first time I went to the "new" park I thought, "this is it?". I used to laugh and agree with cub fans when they referred to it as the concrete palace. It's come a long, long way since then.

Trying to do this without looking it up:

1 Fenway

2 Wrigley

3 Dodger

4 o.co

5 Kauffman

6 Angels

7 Rogers

8 Tropicana

Edit: Not bad, just had 4-6 in the wrong order.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

I met Mr. Reinsdorf once back in the late 90s, in one of the many playoff-less Octobers we've experienced during his time as owner. It was a seasons ticket holder gathering in the Bullpen Sports Bar. He was talking about the construct of the then-new Comiskey Park, and he told the crowd gathered that his only regret in the construction of the park was building the opening of the upper deck at the base of the deck, vs. somewhere in the middle. I don't think anyone could argue with that, of course, as that was clearly a serious architectural flaw given the steepness and height of the original upper deck. When I had the chance to talk to him, I asked him if he felt that way, why not just close the openings of the base and build out openings in the middle. He said "no, that would cost millions of dollars to do", and so I was, like, ok.

I also asked him why he didn't build the park in the direction of the skyline. That park in it's location is just off the city enough that the view of the skyline is just perfect. I think we've all seen it at one time or another walking down the ramp that faces the skyline when leaving the park. I've often maintained that the original upper deck might not have been maligned to the degree it was back in the '90s because the view of the city would have been fantastic from almost every seat up there. Reinsdorf's reason for not building the park in that direction had something to do with the direction of the sun on the field preventing them from doing so. And to this day that explanation has never made any sense, because building the park in that direction would have essentially been in the same direction Comiskey Park had faced for 80 years, and that seemed to work out fine. I'll always look at that decision as such a missed opportunity for this organization.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 01:45 PM)
I met Mr. Reinsdorf once back in the late 90s, in one of the many playoff-less Octobers we've experienced during his time as owner. It was a seasons ticket holder gathering in the Bullpen Sports Bar. He was talking about the construct of the then-new Comiskey Park, and he told the crowd gathered that his only regret in the construction of the park was building the opening of the upper deck at the base of the deck, vs. somewhere in the middle. I don't think anyone could argue with that, of course, as that was clearly a serious architectural flaw given the steepness and height of the original upper deck. When I had the chance to talk to him, I asked him if he felt that way, why not just close the openings of the base and build out openings in the middle. He said "no, that would cost millions of dollars to do", and so I was, like, ok.

I also asked him why he didn't build the park in the direction of the skyline. That park in it's location is just off the city enough that the view of the skyline is just perfect. I think we've all seen it at one time or another walking down the ramp that faces the skyline when leaving the park. I've often maintained that the original upper deck might not have been maligned to the degree it was back in the '90s because the view of the city would have been fantastic from almost every seat up there. Reinsdorf's reason for not building the park in that direction had something to do with the direction of the sun on the field preventing them from doing so. And to this day that explanation has never made any sense, because building the park in that direction would have essentially been in the same direction Comiskey Park had faced for 80 years, and that seemed to work out fine. I'll always look at that decision as such a missed opportunity for this organization.

How many people sit in the upper deck? You aren't saying there would be thousands upon thousands more up there so they could look at the buildings are you?

And it would be a spectacular cost to move the openings of the upper deck higher about 20 feet. To make it make any sense, you would also have to move the entire concourse.

White Sox baseball would be so much more enjoyable if you owned the team. Please do us all a favor and buy them and show everyone how a real team is run.

QUOTE (supernuke @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 01:54 PM)
I still remember skipping school to watch the first game in New Comiskey on TV. Unfortunately I was watching with my buddy who was a big Tigers fan. It was not an easy game to watch.

I was at the very first game. I was walking around with my cousin who is now a cop and we were opening doors and walking everywhere. We wound up in the bowels and walked right by Dan Quayle. The one thing I remember the most were our seats. We were in about section 512 row 7. We had a 27 game package. We figured they wouldn't be so bad. I couldn't believe how high up we were. All the birds were flying below us. Never went back to those seats again.

The upper deck is no worse than the upper deck at any of these newer parks, the problem was we were used to a lower upper deck.

Edited by Dick Allen

I don't mind the upper deck at all anymore, I just wish we had a more modern outfield area. It's fine! It's good, but then you go to other parks and there aren't many worse. Anaheim probably the only one I'd say was more bare.

Edit: the word I was looking for was concourse.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 02:17 PM)
I don't mind the upper deck at all anymore, I just wish we had a more modern outfield area. It's fine! It's good, but then you go to other parks and there aren't many worse. Anaheim probably the only one I'd say was more bare.

Edit: the word I was looking for was concourse.

You don't like the OF concourse? I think it's one of the best parts of the ballpark.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 02:45 PM)

I had heard that there was a stipulation in the funding that they had to keep the address 35th and Shields.