white sox looking at more rotation depth

Whisox05

Make sense. They need rotation depth.

This is the 2nd year of Williams' artificial/phony 3 year (now 2 year) "go for it" window, where the young players are dispatched for proven and declining veterans....and the team still has numerous holes. And it still remains to be seen if the Sox are a team, despite a few of the holes plugged.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 5, 2016 -> 09:37 PM)
Make sense. They need rotation depth.

This is the 2nd year of Williams' artificial/phony 3 year (now 2 year) "go for it" window, where the young players are dispatched for proven and declining veterans....and the team still has numerous holes. And it still remains to be seen if the Sox are a team, despite a few of the holes plugged.

I'm not sure if the 3 year window is phony. Sadly if the Sox aren't in the playoffs here on out it might be firesale/ rebuild time for the sox. Sox most likely can't afford sale after this contract comes up and probably not Abreu tho he will be older then. That leaves 2 years of control for the two after the window and should be still get alot of talent in return if it ends up being the case. Sox are having to go all in but at what cost

This is rather interesting speculation by Levine. The Sox are looking for another outfielder and Jennings fits the mold although he hits RH. Early in the off season the Sox were rumored to be shopping EJ so kicking the tires on Odorizzi wouldn't be surprising.

Curious about what the Rays would want for Odorizzi/Jennings. I'm sure Fulmer would be the first name mentioned by the Rays.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 6, 2016 -> 06:31 AM)
This is rather interesting speculation by Levine. The Sox are looking for another outfielder and Jennings fits the mold although he hits RH. Early in the off season the Sox were rumored to be shopping EJ so kicking the tires on Odorizzi wouldn't be surprising.

Curious about what the Rays would want for Odorizzi/Jennings. I'm sure Fulmer would be the first name mentioned by the Rays.

I bet the Rays would like Tyler Danish-a local kid from suburban Tampa [Plant City]. With Fulmer and Spencer Adams, a deal involving him could work.

Unless we trade EJ in a package for an OF bat I don't see how giving up assets for rotation depth makes any kind of sense. I could see signing a vet to a minimum/minor league deal but nothing further than that. Danks isn't going anywhere and then we have EJ, Turner, BecK, Carrol, and the possibility of Fulmer coming in July/August for the 5th spot. Could be at least worse. Offense and OF depth are way more of a worry.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Feb 6, 2016 -> 11:28 AM)
It would be a downright incredible move to swing a trade for Jennings and Odorizzi, I wish the Sox had the firepower to get it done

See this is the issue with the Sox is they don't have alot of money to spend but don't have the depth on the minors to get more pieces they need unless they just empty it out and have nothing left. Jennings to me is a guy that hasn't lived up to potential and has injury issues. Don't know how much hope we all have that Sox can actually turning him around when we have a guy already that isn't fully injured all the time but can't fix him. It's really a stuck between a rock and a hard place for the sox right now.

Come on, guys. Both Odorizzi and Jennings suck. They're both busts and I wouldn't want to trade anything of value for them. Theykre the type of players that you'd wait until they're free agents and try to sign to cheap contracts.

This is gonna be another long losing season if we're gonna have guys like Saladino and Sanchez on the roster and if we're talking about trying to sign scrubs like Dexter Fowler, etc.

I'm surprised the Sox haven't brought in someone for rotation depth yet. They've added Charlie Shirek this offseason. Make fun of the Penny signing all you want but at least he was a proven starter that made sense to keep stashed in Charlotte. If Beck and Turner are plans B and C if Johnson fails it's going to be a long year. Neither one of them has proven they can start at the MLB level. I don't even know who's still available that would be willing to take a minor league deal.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Feb 6, 2016 -> 12:28 PM)
Come on, guys. Both Odorizzi and Jennings suck. They're both busts and I wouldn't want to trade anything of value for them. Theykre the type of players that you'd wait until they're free agents and try to sign to cheap contracts.

No idea how Odorizzi fits with what you're saying. He'd be a very expensive free agent.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Feb 6, 2016 -> 12:44 PM)
I feel like Odorizzi would be a horrible pickup. He's a flyball pitcher and would cost a ton to get. Don't see a great fit for him here at all.

You're right about Odorizzi being a FB pitcher but I think what the Sox are looking at is that he's less of a FB pitcher than Johnson and would be an upgrade over Johnson. Odorizzi's repertoire of FB, CU, CT, SL could be a really good match with Cooper as his pitching coach.

That said, the reality is that there's likely no match since the Rays would target prospects the Sox wouldn't want to part with. Still an interesting topic for discussion while we wait to see what the next move might or hopefully be.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 6, 2016 -> 09:40 AM)
Levine keeps suggesting these mega Sox deals despite the fact they have nothing to get them done (assuming Anderson and Fulmer are untouchable).

They do if they move some regulars . Which I've thought would happen eventually . Hahn have to be working within some kind of very tight budget or constraint. Maybe Caulfield was right for bringing up signings in June. I laughed every time I saw him mention it because its a terrible plan for a player.

If the Sox are intent on still getting better but already at or near some salary cap and don't want to trade certain minor leaguers what does that leave ? It leaves a big trade of multiple pieces which was why I brought up trading Q to the Dodgers before we started hearing about wanting Puig. It's really the only alternative left . I'm almost to the point of thinking screw these guys ( free agents who will feel they might've got bad advice from their agents and if sign with the Sox they come with a chip on their shoulders like they are pissed they had to sign here.)

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 7, 2016 -> 04:45 PM)
They do if they move some regulars . Which I've thought would happen eventually . Hahn have to be working within some kind of very tight budget or constraint. Maybe Caulfield was right for bringing up signings in June. I laughed every time I saw him mention it because its a terrible plan for a player.

If the Sox are intent on still getting better but already at or near some salary cap and don't want to trade certain minor leaguers what does that leave ? It leaves a big trade of multiple pieces which was why I brought up trading Q to the Dodgers before we started hearing about wanting Puig. It's really the only alternative left . I'm almost to the point of thinking screw these guys ( free agents who will feel they might've got bad advice from their agents and if sign with the Sox they come with a chip on their shoulders like they are pissed they had to sign here.)

The Sox can't trade away Q at this point. The time would have been early when more teams had unfilled rosters.

But that would leave them further away from contending. Esp. as our 4th and 5th SPs are not locks.

I still think an addition will be made more likely involving a trade without Anderson, Fulmer or Adams.