Rodon/Petricka/Jones threw Sim games

southsider2k5

Brian Bilek‏ @BrianBilek_ 7h7 hours ago #WhiteSox Carlos Rodon threw 50 pitches in a sim game on Wednesday. He will be w/ team in AZ & is expected to throw to Major League hitters.

Chicago White Sox‏Verified account @whitesox 38m38 minutes ago Jake Petricka threw 20 pitches today in a simulated game. He said his location was good and will throw again in a few days.

Scott Merkin‏Verified account @scottmerkin 41m41 minutes ago

Rodon threw his fourth sim game today. Feels good

Colleen Kane‏ @ChiTribKane 31m31 minutes ago

Carlos Rodon said he has been frustrated with how long process has been but reminds himself he needs to take it slow for good of his career.

Scott Merkin‏Verified account @scottmerkin 31m31 minutes ago

Rodon is viewing himself as on normal five day routing from start to start. Rick Hahn to talk soon

Tbh i don't know much about the injury Nate jomes had. Is that something that may have done irreparable damage to his trade value this season?. He is already throwing in sim games at least.

Edited by ron883

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ May 23, 2017 -> 10:58 AM)
Here's the Sun-Times story on Rodon:

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/carlos-...long-road-back/

What I found very interesting is that he says the injury is not to his bicep...but to his shoulder. :huh:

Yea right? And he said that now it's sort of a dull ache after he throws instead of a stiffness. I mean, that's not exactly great news either. I dunno, I just hope there's nothing structurally wrong with his shoulder. It's a death knell. That said, he's obviously ramping up his throwing, almost seems to be where he was around the middle of March as far as workload, so that's positive. Hopefully he throws another sim game, gets to 60-80 pitches, then makes a couple rehab starts in AAA and is ready in July.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ May 23, 2017 -> 10:58 AM)
Here's the Sun-Times story on Rodon:

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/carlos-...long-road-back/

What I found very interesting is that he says the injury is not to his bicep...but to his shoulder. :huh:

It's the same thing. The bicep attaches to the labrum right under the supraspinatus tendon of the rotator cuff. So most of the bicep injuries to pitchers are in the shoulder, just the very superior aspect of the bicep.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 23, 2017 -> 11:50 AM)
Yea right? And he said that now it's sort of a dull ache after he throws instead of a stiffness. I mean, that's not exactly great news either. I dunno, I just hope there's nothing structurally wrong with his shoulder. It's a death knell. That said, he's obviously ramping up his throwing, almost seems to be where he was around the middle of March as far as workload, so that's positive. Hopefully he throws another sim game, gets to 60-80 pitches, then makes a couple rehab starts in AAA and is ready in July.

This is a really long time. it's still just so odd.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 23, 2017 -> 12:59 PM)
This is a really long time. it's still just so odd.

It's almost as if they wanted to keep him on ice a bit this year so they wouldn't win too many games. If he was what he was at the end of last season, sub him for Covey, and that's a pretty good rotation. Maybe they are buying a little time for Q to get traded, and keep some wear and tear off Rodon's arm, but even that may be crazy because I doubt Boras would be too keen on the Sox holding out his client for no reason.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 23, 2017 -> 01:02 PM)
It's almost as if they wanted to keep him on ice a bit this year so they wouldn't win too many games. If he was what he was at the end of last season, sub him for Covey, and that's a pretty good rotation. Maybe they are buying a little time for Q to get traded, and keep some wear and tear off Rodon's arm, but even that may be crazy because I doubt Boras would be too keen on the Sox holding out his client for no reason.

I would be thrilled if that were the case. I'm worried it's more "something is wrong but they don't know what" so we just keep seeing heavy rest and light load and hope it magically clears up.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 23, 2017 -> 01:09 PM)
I would be thrilled if that were the case. I'm worried it's more "something is wrong but they don't know what" so we just keep seeing heavy rest and light load and hope it magically clears up.

With the shoulder anything is possible.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 23, 2017 -> 11:57 AM)
It's the same thing. The bicep attaches to the labrum right under the supraspinatus tendon of the rotator cuff. So most of the bicep injuries to pitchers are in the shoulder, just the very superior aspect of the bicep.

PTATC:

Not doubting you of course not with your background. Then I have to ask why did the Sox from day one call it bicep soreness?

That doesn't sound so bad...certainly not like when you start saying it's a shoulder injury. Could that have been part of the reasoning? Fan reaction??

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ May 23, 2017 -> 01:20 PM)
PTATC:

Not doubting you of course not with your background. Then I have to ask why did the Sox from day one call it bicep soreness?

That doesn't sound so bad...certainly not like when you start saying it's a shoulder injury. Could that have been part of the reasoning? Fan reaction??

Because it very well could be bicep soreness. It just the part of the bicep that attaches in the shoulder so Rodon feels it in the shoulder. I don't know why they said it other than it is the medical diagnosis.

The more I think about it the worry would be and could be that his shoulder capsule is loosening and the humeral head is moving anterior anterior in the joint capsule, which is common in most shoulder issues. In this case however the bicep could be acting as a secondary anterior stabilizer which is why it's still giving him issues. If this is the case and the bicep issue is the secondary problem, it could explain the length of time for this issue.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 31, 2017 -> 04:52 PM)
  1. Dan Hayes‏Verified account @CSNHayes 26m26 minutes ago Carlos Rodon is set to throw 4 innings in a sim game Fri. Jake Petricka and James Shields close to starting rehab assignments. #WhiteSox

Correction -- Carlos Rodon's sim game is Thursday.

Well, I just hope there are no setbacks.