Another Cuban IF Available

Y2Jimmy0

Jesse SanchezVerified account

‏@JesseSanchezMLB

Source: Top Cuban INF prospect Yoan Moncada,19, has left the island & could shake up the July 2 int'l signing period: http://js.mlblogs.com/2014/06/30/cuban-inf...eft-the-island/

Here's the link: User Actions

Following

‏@JesseSanchezMLB

Source: Top Cuban INF prospect Yoan Moncada,19, has left the island & could shake up the July 2 int'l signing period: http://js.mlblogs.com/2014/06/30/cuban-inf...eft-the-island/

He is 19 years old, played with Abreu, and subject to the new International Bonus Rules

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 05:56 PM)

‏@JesseSanchezMLB

Here's the link: User Actions

Following

‏@JesseSanchezMLB

He is 19 years old, played with Abreu, and subject to the new International Bonus Rules

Sign. Him.

http://obstructedview.net/commentary-and-a...-and-video.html

Their entire budget for international would have to go to this guy, but it might be worth it.

He's exactly the kind of dynamic athletic talent we need on the infield, especially if he can play 3B. Seems he's become more of a middle infielder (SS/2B), but the idea he could play 3B, combined with that level of speed and athleticism...well, obviously Jose Abreu's going to be intimately involved in the entire process of the White Sox going after him.

Would be another great option to go along with Timmy Anderson at SS.

Have Abreu personally bring his former teammate a check for $5 million. Only the Marlins and Astros can outbid us, right? Forget Ynoa.

Edited by caulfield12

The Next Cuban Baseball Wonder Boy?

22 November, 2012No Comments

By: Reynier Batista Morales

Yoan Manuel Moncada Olivares is currently full of expectation, because in less than a week, he will wear the jersey of the Cienfuegos team, as rookie, in the 52nd Cuban Baseball Series. And no wonder, because this young player knows there are hundreds of eyes on him due to his distinguished career at youth level, which makes him one of the top prospects in the country.

“Cienfuegos can expect the best of me this year despite being a rookie, I hope to have a good result from the work of my coaches and the support of my colleagues who have helped me, and I wish to give a good show to the people of Cuba,” this 17 years old youngster noted.

Moncada was born in the neighborhood of Las Quinientas, municipality of Abreu, and made it to the Cuba team in the category 15 -16 years thanks to an excellent performance in the National Championship of 2011, in which he had a tremendous performance with 40 hits in 24 games, including eight homers.

Moncada became famous in the 14th World Baseball Championship U-16 IBAF (AA), which was held in Lagos de Moreno, Mexico, where Cuba finished second and he became the only Cuban chosen for the all stars team of the tournament. He won the recognition for Best Third Base by his excellent figures, being the main slugger in the Cuban squad: Average 500, 10 hits in 20 at-bats, with two doubles and an equal number of triples, plus 0.800 slugging percentage and he committed just two errors in defense.

A few days ago he had its pre-competitive test towards Cuba’s most important sport event while participating with Cienfuegos (The elephants) in the 20th Antillana de Acero Cup in which "I felt the best since this was my first competition in the Senior Class". He added "This is a good preparation for the National Series as our team thinks to be on top this year".

Besides being a switch hitter, Yoan Moncada is able to play multiple positions in the infield, besides the 3rd base, he also plays as shortstop and in second base. "I feel good in all three positions, I used to play as shortstop, there I felt better, but now that I’m playing in second base I also feel comfortable and I think I can also do well here".

Cienfuegos´ boy will have opportunities to shine from now on. He has talent to spare. Time will tell if he has what it takes to reach stardom. His focus on training will have much to do with that.

http://oncubamagazine.com/sports/yoan-monc...all-wonder-boy/

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 12:20 AM)

Their entire budget for international would have to go to this guy, but it might be worth it.

He's exactly the kind of dynamic athletic talent we need on the infield, especially if he can play 3B. Seems he's become more of a middle infielder (SS/2B), but the idea he could play 3B, combined with that level of speed and athleticism...well, obviously Jose Abreu's going to be intimately involved in the entire process of the White Sox going after him.

Have Abreu personally bring his former teammate a check for $5 million. Only the Marlins and Astros can outbid us, right? Forget Ynoa.

Some of us seriously prefer grabbing multiple guys for that kind of money rather than spending it all on a single player half a decade away from the big leagues.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 08:07 AM)
Some of us seriously prefer grabbing multiple guys for that kind of money rather than spending it all on a single player half a decade away from the big leagues.

He's not have a decade away. He's 19 years old. I would agree with you on the 16 year old signings though.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 11:20 PM)

Thats not true, the only teams that cannot outbid us are the Cubs and Rangers. The Rays, Brewers, Red Sox and Yankees are already to bust through their spending caps anyway, so there is no further harm in going further over the limits.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 30, 2014 -> 11:20 PM)

Anyone could outbid us if they are willing to go over their international budget.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 10:33 AM)
Half a decade would be 24, which is still a pretty young age to hit the majors.

Jorge Soler was 20 when he signed, it looks like he will probably be 23-24 before he has a shot at the majors at the rate he's going.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 09:07 AM)
I'm pretty sure if Jeff Keppinger suddenly became Cuban, Soxtalk would want him re-signed.

Because Keppinger was one of the fastest/biggest/most athletic/youngest infielders available...and could also play SS?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 09:01 AM)
That worked out well right?

Technically, I'd argue that Viciedo was worth the investment. Not sure he hit the upside as possible but he's a legit major leaguer who still has some potential although it might not be realized here. Can't really look at things in a vacuum either cause franchise could have traded him for some pretty good players at various stages when he was in the minors and early on after his rookie season.

Maybe we shouldn't do anything because one guy was a bust. It is a risk / reward. If we made that statement (Viciedo didn't work) with your logic applied we should never have went after Abreu either. Give me as many elite talents as possible and with this cuban IF being subject to the international FA pools it should help corall his cost which means more likley you get a pretty good reward. No guarantee but I'd wager some of our cash. Then again I'd have done what the Rangers / Yankees have done in the past (and Yanks this year) which is just go like crazy and do an every other year in the FA pool. I think the bang for your buck is there.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)
Ummm...no, this would be similar to Viciedo, where he was signed after 2008 and made an impact in the 2010 playoff race.

I am not sure that is the case. But there isn't a huge need for the Sox to push him through either with Semien, Sanchez, and Johnson all in the way. Stick him in AA next season with Anderson, Barnum, and Hawkins and let them come up together.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 1, 2014 -> 11:06 AM)
Technically, I'd argue that Viciedo was worth the investment. Not sure he hit the upside as possible but he's a legit major leaguer who still has some potential although it might not be realized here. Can't really look at things in a vacuum either cause franchise could have traded him for some pretty good players at various stages when he was in the minors and early on after his rookie season.

Maybe we shouldn't do anything because one guy was a bust. It is a risk / reward. If we made that statement (Viciedo didn't work) with your logic applied we should never have went after Abreu either. Give me as many elite talents as possible and with this cuban IF being subject to the international FA pools it should help corall his cost which means more likley you get a pretty good reward. No guarantee but I'd wager some of our cash. Then again I'd have done what the Rangers / Yankees have done in the past (and Yanks this year) which is just go like crazy and do an every other year in the FA pool. I think the bang for your buck is there.

QFT

I think Balta was just challenging the assertion that this kid will make a Puig-like (or even Viciedo-like) immediate impact.