White Sox Extension Candidates

Last off-season, the Sox signed Quintana long term. The year prior, it was Chris Sale.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/...-five-year-deal

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/...ana-5-year-deal

Who, if any of the current Sox roster are deserving of an extension that best serves the long term goals of the team?

Adan Eaton? Conor Gillaspie? Tyler Flowers (if they are committed to him starting?)??

There's an argument to be made for Eaton but I would rather see one more good year out of him and give up a little more money to extend him after that.

We know, and Hahn has candidly said, that catching help was a priority going into 2014. While Flowers had a decent season, I don't think he did enough to take the org from that mindset to extension territory.

Gillaspie isn't franchise-y enough, and we don't have much to gain from extending him.

Early in the season, I advocated on a different board for giving Daniel Webb something like 5 years, $10 million so the Sox could deploy him however they wanted and not have to worry about saves driving up his arb price. This was days before the A's did the same thing with Sean Doolittle. I might still believe that's a good idea if he charges out of the gate in 2015.

I would give Adam an extension.

Another player I would that I might get heat for is Alexei Ramirez. I'd give him a 2 year extension because I really feel that he's a player that if we want to contend, we need to have. Plus, I love Alexei. I would hear offers about him though, and if one blew me away, then I would do it if I were Hahn.

But that's my 2 cents.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 02:55 PM)
Another player I would that I might get heat for is Alexei Ramirez. I'd give him a 2 year extension because I really feel that he's a player that if we want to contend, we need to have. Plus, I love Alexei. I would hear offers about him though, and if one blew me away, then I would do it if I were Hahn.

I feel similarly. Sale and Abreu are in the prime of their careers, and I would like to have someone fairly dependable at SS while that is the case. There are other places on the roster that can and should be fiddled with.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 03:55 PM)
I would give Adam an extension.

But that's my 2 cents.

The Sox have a 5 year board and my guess is it goes like this for SS:

2015: Alexei (under contract)

2016: Alexei (option year)

2017: Tim Anderson

2018: Tim Anderson

2019: Tim Anderson

Honestly, I think 2016 is possible for Anderson if he has big 2015.

So basically what I'm saying is extending Alexei doesn't make sense even when ignoring his age.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 06:14 PM)
The Sox have a 5 year board and my guess is it goes like this for SS:

2015: Alexei (under contract)

2016: Alexei (option year)

2017: Tim Anderson

2018: Tim Anderson

2019: Tim Anderson

Honestly, I think 2016 is possible for Anderson if he has big 2015.

So basically what I'm saying is extending Alexei doesn't make sense even when ignoring his age.

He is very young but I don't think we see Anderson for a while. He has really struggled defensively at SS in the minors so far. He is way behind Semien and we saw his stuggles defensively when he was promoted. Hopefully the Sox have someone to work w Semien and Anderson defensively because both look like solid hitters.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 05:34 PM)
He is very young but I don't think we see Anderson for a while. He has really struggled defensively at SS in the minors so far. He is way behind Semien and we saw his stuggles defensively when he was promoted. Hopefully the Sox have someone to work w Semien and Anderson defensively because both look like solid hitters.

I don't see Anderson spending more than one full season at AA and one at AAA. IMO, he's either ready by Opening Day 2017 or he has busted.

If defense is a concern, it's possible he's moved to CF or 2B prior to then, but they won't keep him in the minors much longer for defense alone.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 08:18 AM)
Would wait one more year on Eaton.

We also would have learned our lesson/s with Crede and Jenks had they been extended, for example.

The Astros definitely would be hurting had Grossman, Singleton and Dominguez all accepted.

while I do have concerns about eaton being able to stay healthy for a whole season, here is a better

question, who will replace him as the #1 hitter in the lineup? does the sox have a #1 type player in the

minors that can be groomed to perform in the major league?

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 05:08 AM)
while I do have concerns about eaton being able to stay healthy for a whole season, here is a better

question, who will replace him as the #1 hitter in the lineup? does the sox have a #1 type player in the

minors that can be groomed to perform in the major league?

We don't have to worry about that...we have him for another 4 seasons.

As far as a potential replacement, you're looking at either Micah Johnson or Tim Anderson, if he can refine his OBP skills. Carlos Sanchez is another possibility, although I'm 99% sure it would be one of those first two guys, at least from the players currently in our system. Semien would be the 4th choice.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 12:18 PM)
We don't have to worry about that...we have him for another 4 seasons.

As far as a potential replacement, you're looking at either Micah Johnson or Tim Anderson, if he can refine his OBP skills. Carlos Sanchez is another possibility, although I'm 99% sure it would be one of those first two guys, at least from the players currently in our system. Semien would be the 4th choice.

good point.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 07:48 AM)
What's the rush to extend Eaton at this point? The Sox still have 5 years of control. Maybe at some point during this season, but I think if those conversations happen, it will be after next season at the earliest.

The websites I've looked at say he's going to be a free agent in 2019, so that would be four years.

Does anyone have a definitive answer?

According to Cot's, he had 1.030 service years before 2014. This year would give him two.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 08:54 AM)
The websites I've looked at say he's going to be a free agent in 2019, so that would be four years.

Does anyone have a definitive answer?

Didn't realize he'd accrued a year of service time basically being a 4th outfielder. Still, there's no rush.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 09:14 AM)
Count me in the "No big hurry" crowd. I think even if Eaton makes his ceiling, he isn't even going to be a $20 million annually guy, so the risk isn't nearly as huge as it could be when compared to a guy like Garcia who has legit 5 tool potential.

Maybe not $20 million, but not too far off. Fangraphs valued him at $14.8 million this year. Take away his DL stints and that number would be $18+.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 08:14 AM)
Count me in the "No big hurry" crowd. I think even if Eaton makes his ceiling, he isn't even going to be a $20 million annually guy, so the risk isn't nearly as huge as it could be when compared to a guy like Garcia who has legit 5 tool potential.

And yet ALMOST everyone here would be more likely to give a five year deal to Eaton as of today than Avisail Garcia. Four tools or not. To think he's ever going to be a "good or above average" fielder is pushing your luck. He's got good speed, but not in a basestealing or quick outfield jumps type of way...it's more of a 50-80 meters "top speed" after taking a long time to accelerate. In the end, it will come down to plate discipline/contact and hitting 25-35 homers with 30-40 doubles rather than 12-18 homers and 25 doubles.

Both would be huge risks, Garcia to bust entirely and Eaton from a health standpoint.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Oct 10, 2014 -> 10:44 AM)
Maybe not $20 million, but not too far off. Fangraphs valued him at $14.8 million this year. Take away his DL stints and that number would be $18+.

I think Eaton would probably get $12-15 mill a year in free agency. He's a similar player to Ellsbury but probably not overall as talented.