Gavin Floyd?

BlackSox13

Just thinking outside the box but am wondering if Floyd could be a realistic possibility if he ends up a FA. I seriously doubt the Sox go after any of the big named starting pitchers so I'm very curious about Floyd.

A healthy Floyd can eat innings and give at least Noesi type numbers, if not better. The Sox could use a RH staer and Floyd could use an opportunity to rebuild his value. Floyd would also be rather cheap and allow the Sox to spend money on a few hitters and arms for the pen.

Its just a random thought really and wanted to see what the rest of the board thought. Obviously he's not anyone's first choice but could be a viable option.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 18, 2014 -> 10:48 PM)
Are we serious about contending? If no....we trade him like the cubs unless we have an option for 2016 and noesi falls apart Rodon falters or another starter is shelved due to injury.

If Gavin Floyd is going to be ready to pitch in April of 2015 and he's comfortable with this coaching staff, then he could be a useful guy to fill the "pre rodon" slot in the rotation and we wouldn't have to count on him being healthy or dominant for the entire season to be useful.

Only historic problem? He's been awful in April/May and incredible in June, and we'd want a guy who's been incredible in the spring and terrible in the summer if we're given the choice because Rodon would be ready to replace the guy in the summer if anything happens.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 19, 2014 -> 02:18 PM)
Floyd is a candidate for a minor league deal, IMO. He had TJ that didn't "take," and was bleeding internally in his elbow by the end of his first start back. I just don't see any way I'd guarantee any number of millions to him until he proves his arm will hold together.

I totally agree with you, but let me asked, will other team see the same. I think some other team

will give him a contract.

here is another question, would Floyd consider coming back to chi??

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Oct 19, 2014 -> 02:30 PM)
No to Floyd. At this point, Chris Bassit will have a higher ceiling and floor as the 5th starter.

I am in total agreement with you.

I am in the thinking of having more options at a money savings for the "in case"

scenario.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 19, 2014 -> 03:10 PM)
Unless it was on a minor league deal, I am not interested. That is two catastrophic injuries he is trying to recover from, and who knows how one is going to affect the other. I want no part of him as a part of the team that we would be counting on.

you are right, that is the underlining point.

hearing about it 1 thing, reading it on black and white, make me think twice.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 19, 2014 -> 09:18 AM)
Floyd is a candidate for a minor league deal, IMO. He had TJ that didn't "take," and was bleeding internally in his elbow by the end of his first start back. I just don't see any way I'd guarantee any number of millions to him until he proves his arm will hold together.

Good point. I did not know the extent of his second injury, thanks for pointing that out. As a few others have said, a minor league deal would be the offer. If Floyd accepted that, maybe the Sox could use him out of the pen while he's recovering. Bullpen work might be a better option for his recovery and would allow him to build some value.

Edited by StRoostifer