Sox holding talks "daily" on Q

Sleepy Harold

Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal

now

Sources: #WhiteSox engaged in daily trade discussions on Quintana. #Pirates, #Astros involved, possibly others. #Yankees appear longshot.

now

Sources add: #WhiteSox firm on Quintana’s value; also could move him at deadline. NYY seem less willing than others to move top prospects.

link

Edited by bmags

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now

Sources: #WhiteSox engaged in daily trade discussions on Quintana. #Pirates, #Astros involved, possibly others. #Yankees appear longshot.

now

Sources add: #WhiteSox firm on Quintana’s value; also could move him at deadline. NYY seem less willing than others to move top prospects.

link

Yankees are desperate to downplay their involvement that it wouldn't shock me if they are the most interested team. "We don't want Quintana noooo why would we? BTW what's Jason Hammel up to did I mention NO QUINTANA let me tell you about how much I want Jose Qui-I mean don't want. Nope nope nope"

NOT BUYING IT, Cashman. Not buying it one bit.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 04:43 PM)
Yankees are desperate to downplay their involvement that it wouldn't shock me if they are the most interested team. "We don't want Quintana noooo why would we? BTW what's Jason Hammel up to did I mention NO QUINTANA let me tell you about how much I want Jose Qui-I mean don't want. Nope nope nope"

I agree with this. Irrational fan opinion: Cashman wants to drop the Torres hammer and not have to give up much beyond it. He does not want to drop the Torres hammer and add considerably more after in competing with another team.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 04:50 PM)
I agree with this. Irrational fan opinion: Cashman wants to drop the Torres hammer and not have to give up much beyond it. He does not want to drop the Torres hammer and add considerably more after in competing with another team.

Hahn is taking what amounts to less than a half season of Chapman for Jose Quintana. Obviously, that not how it works, but he'll want much more.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 04:43 PM)

Couldn't agree more. Yankees hold the trump card on almost all other teams if they are willing to include Torres or Frazier. Right now, they haven't been pushed to that limit yet since Pirates seem unwilling to include Meadows. Until they are forced to go there, they'll act like they are "longshots" for Q while all along keeping tabs on him.

BTW long time reader, first time poster. The Q trade discussions have been so fun that I couldn't resist posting.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 04:52 PM)
Hahn is taking what amounts to less than a half season of Chapman for Jose Quintana. Obviously, that not how it works, but he'll want much more.

No, it isn't how it works. Torres was sold to yanks after a rough first half, he then recovered for a nice second half while being incredibly young, then tore up AFL. Has always had good discipline and then showed off the pop. Torres is a top 5 position prospect now.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 04:57 PM)
No, it isn't how it works. Torres was sold to yanks after a rough first half, he then recovered for a nice second half while being incredibly young, then tore up AFL. Has always had good discipline and then showed off the pop. Torres is a top 5 position prospect now.

Still, if Hahn is asking for a deal similar to the Sale deal it'd look like

Torres

Rutherford

Andujar

Tate

and that could be scaring Cashman off.

QUOTE (pablo @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 04:56 PM)
Couldn't agree more. Yankees hold the trump card on almost all other teams if they are willing to include Torres or Frazier. Right now, they haven't been pushed to that limit yet since Pirates seem unwilling to include Meadows. Until they are forced to go there, they'll act like they are "longshots" for Q while all along keeping tabs on him.

BTW long time reader, first time poster. The Q trade discussions have been so fun that I couldn't resist posting.

Welcome!

QUOTE (pablo @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 05:56 PM)

Welcome. Agree, I think Yanks understand they have no shot w/out Torres or Frazier. They are the swoop in candidate a la Boston. I'm hoping instead we can package Frazier w Q to get Bregman, tucker, Paulino ++ from Houston.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 06:03 PM)

now

If #WhiteSox move Quintana, they likely will sign free-agent SP on one-year deal to help protect youngsters. Could always flip at deadline.

common sense, but hey it's relative!

Or pluck Dylan Covey in the rule 5 draft

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 05:01 PM)

Torres

Rutherford

Andujar

Tate

That is an ideal trade package but I'm guessing you are right and Cashman doesn't go there. I still love the Yankees as a trade partner because of the depth of their system. I think there could be a deal where Rutherford is the headliner along with very good second and third pieces, with flyers on a fourth and fifth piece based on scouting. Something like:

Rutherford

Sheffield/Kaprielian (maybe Acevedo)

Andujar/Fowler

Montgomery

Sands

Torres, Mateo and somebody the teams mutually agree on that is at best a Spencer Adams-tier prospect (the Yankees have a million of those guys). I think that's as far as Cashman really wants to bend. That's my guess. Agreed about the "Torres hammer", that once Cashman "caves" and includes Torres that he does not want to include Rutherford, Frazier, Kapeielian or anyone he really, really likes in that system.

I thought Severino would be a name the two could agree on to add but that tweet that the Sox are exploring FA options if Quintana leaves throws some cold water on that idea.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 05:01 PM)

Torres

Rutherford

Andujar

Tate

Well, that goes back to my point of in my head cashman is willing to use Torres in a deal, but when Torres is added wants it to be in a situation where he is offering a talent so much more coveted than what other teams are offered he does not need to offer as much on the backend. Compare that with if Cashman is bidding Torres vs a Meadows, well, then they need to be competitive on the backend.

But if Torres is dropped in an offer, Hahn isn't goint to respond "uh he's only half of 1/2 season of chapman therefore goodbye"

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 05:27 PM)
One of the contributors on the Garfien podcast yesterday sure seemed to think/know that the Hammel is interested in the Sox

Yeah said he'd love to stay in Chicago. I think Hammel can find a two year deal though and I doubt we give it up.