All New Soccer Thread ~ All Levels ~ All Leagues

Texsox

This season a have the 7th grade boy's team. The 7th graders, now 8th grade won district last year, so the bar is set high. We are learning a new formation. We will be starting from a 3-4-3 which is what the high school implemented last season. The idea is consistency from 7-12 in everything from drills to cheers.

x x x

x x

x x

x x x

x

Basically from here we can fall back to a 4-4-2 or a 5-3-2

I won't have my full team until the night before our first game. They are playing football right now. I had some tonight and saw some real bright spots. Two of my best players are very athletic and left footed.

Edited by Tex
The formatting of the formation changes when I hit enter

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 2, 2011 -> 08:37 PM)
This season a have the 7th grade boy's team. The 7th graders, now 8th grade won district last year, so the bar is set high. We are learning a new formation. We will be starting from a 3-4-3 which is what the high school implemented last season. The idea is consistency from 7-12 in everything from drills to cheers.

x x x

x x

x x

x x x

x

Basically from here we can fall back to a 4-4-2 or a 5-3-2

I won't have my full team until the night before our first game. They are playing football right now. I had some tonight and saw some real bright spots. Two of my best players are very athletic and left footed.

3-4-3 in high school? I covered a lot of high school soccer this fall and can't recall a 3 defender formation off the top of my head and certainly not a 3-4-3. Some teams went 3-5-2 for stretches of games, but I haven't seen a 3-4-3. I was kind of hoping to see something like that just for variety. What some coaches call variety is playing with a flat back four instead of using a sweeper. You must have a very progressive varsity coach.

Is soccer a winter sport in Texas? I can only dream of such a thing haha. The weather for one thing, but to not have to compete with football for the best athletes would be nice.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 3, 2011 -> 03:06 PM)
3-4-3 in high school? I covered a lot of high school soccer this fall and can't recall a 3 defender formation off the top of my head and certainly not a 3-4-3. Some teams went 3-5-2 for stretches of games, but I haven't seen a 3-4-3. I was kind of hoping to see something like that just for variety. What some coaches call variety is playing with a flat back four instead of using a sweeper. You must have a very progressive varsity coach.

Is soccer a winter sport in Texas? I can only dream of such a thing haha. The weather for one thing, but to not have to compete with football for the best athletes would be nice.

I think Chile under Biesla may have utilised the 3-4-3 formation a lot from memory.

You need quick defenders if it's going to work though (and wingers actually willing to push back).

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 3, 2011 -> 03:28 AM)
I think Chile under Biesla may have utilised the 3-4-3 formation a lot from memory.

You need quick defenders if it's going to work though (and wingers actually willing to push back).

Yeah that's pros. We're talking U18 amateurs.

The high school coach is very good, but I believe it is his assistants who are really driving this program. He's also a football coach. I believe Defensive coordinator or line coach. His assistant played at a very high level in Mexico, was an assistant coach at a University there. He also ran a club level program from what I've been told.

In middle school we play boys now until Christmas and the girls crank up in January until the beginning of March. Texas is one of about 6 or 7 states that play soccer as a winter sport. Sucks for the north Texas teams. They cancel some games from too cold conditions. But it keeps us from forcing kids to choose from their club competition or school.

Our HS program has a major challenge and the new formation is a partial answer. We have a city to our south that will send three or sometimes all four of our district representatives to the state tourny. Seems as if they always are getting a dozen recent immigrants to play for them ;-). It is tough to complain, our basketball program seems to always pull a couple immigrants as well who make big contributions. So we're starting by out thinking them.

When we get back in formation I look at only three backs and cringe. With a two goal lead I will fall back into a 5-3-2, at least on defense. If we get down, those two mids will be cheating a bit to the goal side. I have three, possibly four speedy solid players for my mids and a little waterbug kid for my center forward. He flat out can control the ball and is good with both feet. I wish he was about 6 or 8 inches taller, I'll move him to the far side for corner kicks and get a taller kid in for any header opportunities.

I also haven't really identified a goal keeper. I had one who has played the position before in a league, but I wasn't impressed during drills. No instincts were present.

And last season I went with a 4-4-2 but kind of a U for my backs. It fit the girls on the team. I wasn't tracking the stat at the beginning of the season, but in our last 7 games, no team score on the left side of my defense. Yesenia was the bomb. When the kicker for the football team became ineligible I suggested she try out. Damn does she have a leg. She intimidated the other girls and when she had the ball, they would duck out of the way.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 4, 2011 -> 10:03 PM)
I also haven't really identified a goal keeper. I had one who has played the position before in a league, but I wasn't impressed during drills. No instincts were present.

When in doubt, pick the tallest person available. :D

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 4, 2011 -> 07:19 AM)
When in doubt, pick the tallest person available. :D

I just may start there. I gave my team my goal keeper speech which goes something like this. When the other team scores, and they will, that means the ball passed by ten defenders ~and~ our keeper. If ten of you couldn't stop them, how is one person? So you turn around and apologize to the keeper for putting him in that position.

Well today was the first practice where I wasn't competing with the football team for players. Several new kids showed up and I needed to field a team tomorrow night. Yuck. I slotted kids as best I could, but I know I have a few out of position, a few kids starting that shouldn't. I explained that to everyone but one kid started sulking, walked away pouting. I figure this is his one chance, then he's adios.

So this morning grades came out and I lost seven players, including three starters. We were playing the first round of a tournament. It was the worst display of sportsmanship I have ever witnessed at a kid's game. The fans of the other team, parents and coaches, were yelling obscenities, accusing the ref of accepting a bribe, etc. Six of their kids received yellow cards and one red card for swearing at the ref or complaining about calls. Four of the parents were removed from the field.

We were losing 0-1 with about six minutes to play. I look up from 3/4 of a field away my keeper was getting a yellow card. I ask why and learn he was sitting down. OK, I forgot to tell him about that one. My second and third string keepers were suspended for academics, so I had no one. I grabbed a kid thinking it's only for one play. As he comes to the sideline I hear him say loudly, what the f***?! Well, now he's going to be sitting longer. The ref comes over a minute or two later and reminds me that I can bring him back in. I explain he used foul language on the sideline and would not be returning. Thirty seconds later my striker is down in the box and we're getting a penalty kick. 1-1! The obscenities really begin to fly.

When we go to penalty kicks I put my keeper back in the game. The other coach starts screaming that he had gotten a red card and can't be playing. The referee explains it was only a yellow card. The coach screams, no it wasn't or he would have been back in the game. I am about 10 yeards away and say, "I don't tolerate yellow cards from my players so I sat him for the rest of the game to teach him a lesson about sportsmanship" and walked back to my kids. The other parents started mocking me.

We won the toss and elected to go first. 3-3 in the first set. Then we went to sudden death. We made the first one, they hit it right at my keeper. Victory.

We lined up and waited, and waited, and watched them get on the bus.

I spoke with the team about being winners 168 hours a week. Called the other team losers. And started planning for the game(s) Saturday.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 08:19 PM)
So this morning grades came out and I lost seven players, including three starters. We were playing the first round of a tournament. It was the worst display of sportsmanship I have ever witnessed at a kid's game. The fans of the other team, parents and coaches, were yelling obscenities, accusing the ref of accepting a bribe, etc. Six of their kids received yellow cards and one red card for sweaing at the ref or complaining about calls. Four of the parents were removed from the field.

We were losing 0-1 with about six minutes to play. I look up from 3/4 of a field away my keeper was getting a yellow card. I ask why and learn he was sitting down. OK, I forgot to tell him about that one. My second and third string keepers were suspended for academics, so I had no one. I grabbed a kid thinking it's only for one play. As he comes to the sideline I hear him say loudly, what the f***?! Well, now he's going to be sitting longer. The ref comes over a minute or two later and reminds me that I can bring him back in. I explain he used foul language on the sideline and would not be returning. Thirty seconds later my striker is down in the box and we're getting a penalty kick. 1-1! The obscenities really begin to fly.

When we go to penalty kicks I put my keeper back in the game. The other coach starts screaming that he had gotten a red card and can't be playing. The referee explains it was only a yellow card. The coach screams, no it wasn't or he would have been back in the game. I am about 10 yeards away and say, "I don't tolerate yellow cards from my players so I sat him for the rest of the game to teach him a lesson about sportsmanship" and walked back to my kids. The other parents started mocking me.

We won the toss and elected to go first. 3-3 in the first set. Then we went to sudden death. We made the first one, they hit it right at my keeper. Victory.

We lined up and waited, and waited, and watched them get on the bus.

I spoke with the team about being winners 168 hours a week. Called the other team losers. And started planning for the game(s) Saturday.

Wow, they really get into those games, congrats on the win and an awful display of unsportsmanship from the other team, those coaches need to realize they are dealing with kids and as important as winning a game is how you play the game...

The point I made this morning when I was talking to my AD was by blaming every bad call on the referee, you shield the players from any responsibility. That leads to sloppy play. The sloppy play leads to more calls against you.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 02:26 PM)
Hey look at that, the US won a game. How good was Fabian Johnson today? Geez.

Timmy Chandler has looked good too. And Danny Williams has shown promise too in limted action. I'm liking what i've seen out of these Americans learning in Germany.

Real excited about Joe Gyau who's playing for the Hoffenheim juniors right now. He's on the U-23 training squad at the moment.

As for the game, what a difference playing with a second striker made. And Michael Bradley as well. He needs to be playing as a mainstay. Defense had its issues, hopefully getting Gooch back can fix some of that

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (JPN366 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 11:39 PM)
Huh, didn't realize they were playing NCAA Men's Soccer playoffs in Birmingham at Regions Park.

Yeah I watched the second semi tonight. They did a nice job of positioning the camera so all you can see is the stands. You wouldn't know it was a baseball stadium if you weren't already aware.

Still, it's pretty lame they couldn't get a soccer (or even shared football) venue for this. Not to mention, they got pretty crappy weather tonight.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 12:30 AM)
Yeah I watched the second semi tonight. They did a nice job of positioning the camera so all you can see is the stands. You wouldn't know it was a baseball stadium if you weren't already aware.

Still, it's pretty lame they couldn't get a soccer (or even shared football) venue for this. Not to mention, they got pretty crappy weather tonight.

The weather was bad? It's kinda cold, but that's all. Facility-wise, it's the best option, in our area that is. Plenty of parking, a few acres it seems, plenty of seating.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 12:42 AM)
The weather was bad? It's kinda cold, but that's all. Facility-wise, it's the best option, in our area that is. Plenty of parking, a few acres it seems, plenty of seating.

Well I mean no one really wants to go outside for a soccer game when it's 38 degrees.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's so awesome to see a top level team of professional athletes absolutely lose their minds against one team. Real certainly isn't the better team, but they are one of the best in the world right now and they just melt every time they play Barca. The first half today was dominated by Real early, they missed a few easy chances, and suddenly Barca magic and they lead 2-0 at half.

It's great to watch and there are few things better than watching Ronaldo lose. What a prick. Jose Mourinho's faces when they go down to Barca are fantastic as well.