Gun Violence in America

TaylorStSox

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 10:43 AM)
Everyone, get your political agendas geared up. Here we go.

Its sad that safety is considered a political issue. We have more gun deaths per capita than any country on the planet, and its not even close.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 10:53 AM)
Yep, my agenda is safety, its my political platform. Less innocent people dead.

I can tell you the only 2 absolutes are that 1. Guns aren't going anywhere. 2. Old white guys will talk in circles knowing they aren't going anywhere.

If you want to address issues that might be solvable, start with mental health.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 10:55 AM)
I can tell you the only 2 absolutes are that 1. Guns aren't going anywhere. 2. Old white guys will talk in circles knowing they aren't going anywhere.

nobody was talking politics until you brought it up though, it's like you just wanted an excuse to get on your own soap box about it

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 10:55 AM)

Cool. Outlaw the manufacturing and distribution of ammo designed for assault rifles. They can keep their totally unnecessary guns.

Outlaw sales of guns outside of places that can check for things like registered mental illness and spotty backgrounds. If you want to sell one person to person, you have to do so through an accredited 3rd party. But once again, you can keep buying guns lawfully.

2A guys can still keep their 8+ guns per person.

FYI, I am a registered gun owner and I have a concealed carry permit.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 10:59 AM)
I'm not actually particularly pro-gun control but maybe take this to the 'buster rather than bringing it up out of the blue to bait people?

Your focus on the type of gun made it clear where you were going with this. I mean, duh.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 11:00 AM)
Cool. Outlaw the manufacturing and distribution of ammo designed for assault rifles. They can keep their totally unnecessary guns.

Outlaw sales of guns outside of places that can check for things like registered mental illness and spotty backgrounds. If you want to sell one person to person, you have to do so through an accredited 3rd party. But once again, you can keep buying guns lawfully.

2A guys can still keep their 8+ guns per person.

FYI, I am a registered gun owner and I have a concealed carry permit.

None of this will happen or impact the presence of guns. What's done is done. The streets are littered with guns and gun culture is as American as Apple pie. That's not going to change. Addressing mental health is something that can make an impact. The rest is just drivel to employ politicians and distract the masses.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 11:06 AM)
None of this will happen or impact the presence of guns. What's done is done. The streets are littered with guns and gun culture is as American as Apple pie. That's not going to change. Addressing mental health is something that can make an impact. The rest is just drivel to employ politicians and distract the masses.

Mental health and guns is also a political issue.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 11:06 AM)

Pretty sure its hard to shoot a gun without bullets. Whats done is done is a bulls*** cop out and so is trying to point at mental health as the cause.

QUOTE (Quin @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 11:13 AM)
Yeah, let's not discuss the systemic politics that enable this and send thoughts and prayers that it go away.

The NRA spent 30M getting Trump in office, and millions more to buy representatives. But, thoughts and prayers. Even when innocent children were murdered, thoughts and prayers, guns are american.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 11:15 AM)
Pretty sure its hard to shoot a gun without bullets. Whats done is done is a bulls*** cop out and so is trying to point at mental health as the cause.

The gun control debate is a sham and its the real cop out. The tough issues are addressing mental health. It's like the gun control debate in Chicago. It's bulls***. People debate guns because they don't want to address the socioeconomic conditions and institutionalized racism that compels young black men to shoot each other. They don't want to because they benefit from that system.

I suppose I wanted to get more political than I realized. :usa I find the gun control debate incredibly frustrating.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 11:15 AM)

Back in February:

President Donald Trump quietly signed a bill into law Tuesday rolling back an Obama-era regulation that made it harder for people with mental illnesses to purchase a gun.

The rule, which was finalized in December, added people receiving Social Security checks for mental illnesses and people deemed unfit to handle their own financial affairs to the national background check database.

Not that it would necessarily have prevented this tragedy, but 2nd amendment baby! The answer to gun violence is more guns.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 11:24 AM)
The gun control debate is a sham and its the real cop out. The tough issues are addressing mental health. It's like the gun control debate in Chicago. It's bulls***. People debate guns because they don't want to address the socioeconomic conditions and institutionalized racism that compels young black men to shoot each other. They don't want to because they benefit from that system.

I suppose I wanted to get more political than I realized. :usa I find the gun control debate incredibly frustrating.

The gun control debate in chicago is a sham because the guns arent purchased in chicago.

There is a reason we have more gun deaths per capita than any country on the planet. We have far too many guns, we make guns that are totally unnecessary and they are far too easy to acquire. There shouldnt be more guns than people in this country. Thats the root of the problem.

if the politicians dont want to turn off their funding to attack that problem, then make it harder to fire guns, make mental health screening tougher, make background checks mandatory for any purchase, private or commercial. There are so many things that can be done to ensure guns are only in the hands of the qualified. I own 2, neither one of them could be used for a mass shooting, I have no criminal record, and I went through training. Its literally harder to get a scooter license than a gun.

Today the stock of every gun manufacturer in the US went UP.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 11:24 AM)

Not sure how any thing with mental health would have stopped this guy. He had no really history of violence.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 11:30 AM)
The gun control debate in chicago is a sham because the guns arent purchased in chicago.

There is a reason we have more gun deaths per capita than any country on the planet. We have far too many guns, we make guns that are totally unnecessary and they are far too easy to acquire. There shouldnt be more guns than people in this country. Thats the root of the problem.

if the politicians dont want to turn off their funding to attack that problem, then make it harder to fire guns, make mental health screening tougher, make background checks mandatory for any purchase, private or commercial. There are so many things that can be done to ensure guns are only in the hands of the qualified. I own 2, neither one of them could be used for a mass shooting, I have no criminal record, and I went through training. Its literally harder to get a scooter license than a gun.

Today the stock of every gun manufacturer in the US went UP.

Continue to distract yourself with the how instead of the why. It's easier.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 2, 2017 -> 11:43 AM)
Not sure how any thing with mental health would have stopped this guy. He had no really history of violence.

We don’t know that 100% quite yet. He could have had other mental illness that hasn’t been reported. However he still shouldn’t have been able to acquire guns like that as well as being ten of them into a hotel.