Go Get Joe Maddon

winninguglyin83

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 01:16 PM)
Joe Maddon opts out of his contract at Tampa after nine solid years.

How about moving Robin to the front office and making a change, Rick Hahn?

I would do it. Strikes me as a Kenny move too, but for Hahn, I don't think he will. I think they're going to wait until Robin has no excuses to perform to fire him. That won't be for another 2 years IMO.

Much of it is self-promotion and dealing with the media. He's great at that.

Maddon has sold himself as a guy who has a quirky way of dealing with his players.

He also took a small market, low payroll team to the post-season four times in six season and won 90 or more five times.

You have to figure Don Mattingly will be looking over his shoulder now that Friedman is with the Dodgers.

But I'd love to see him with the Sox.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 01:33 PM)
Maddon's getting paid for 2015. He can sit out this year, if he wants. In my dream world, give Robin one more year, let him go quietly and bring on Maddon. Not happening, though.

He opted out, but they are still paying him? That doesn't make sense

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 08:02 PM)
Managers just don't matter that much. I'm not too worried about it.

I love the way any manager who lays down a bunt in the AL now is a buffoon. It's all cliche. It's about managing bullpens and hoping the guy you bring in doesn't implode. Robin had no chance with Sox bullpen but to look like a clown. Robin is fine.

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 03:02 PM)
Managers just don't matter that much. I'm not too worried about it.

Agree Look at Boston and John Farrell. First year he goes 97-65 and wins World Series. Brings back almost the same team and second year goes 71-91.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 01:19 PM)
Why is it when Maddon lost 101 and 96 games his first 2 years, that is considered solid, but when Robin had a couple of years like that, he is a dope?

Because Maddon has had multiple playoff teams and a world series appearance, with an organization light on spending. That is why.

Williams hired 2 house horses as manager. Doesn't seem like anything Williams would do.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 05:40 PM)
Because Maddon has had multiple playoff teams and a world series appearance, with an organization light on spending. That is why.

Williams hired 2 house horses as manager. Doesn't seem like anything Williams would do.

And Williams has a ring and a trophy. Maddon has neither. Players matter. If Maddon goes to a team with a bad roster his genius will be erased. It has happened so many times, yet continues to be ignored.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 24, 2014 -> 11:44 PM)
And Williams has a ring and a trophy. Maddon has neither. Players matter. If Maddon goes to a team with a bad roster his genius will be erased. It has happened so many times, yet continues to be ignored.

I generally agree. You can look at the records of Pinella, Dusty and Jim Frey on the other side of town.

But folks around baseball respect Maddon. His 'genius' seems to be in running the clubhouse and getting his guys to play hard and fundamentally sound. Guys who did not buy in -- Upton, Young -- were sent on their way. He was a consistent winner in the toughest division in baseball.

He's got tremendous leverage for once in his life -- and he's going get somebody (Cubs, Mets) to pay him a lot of money.