White Sox interested in adding a DH

Y2Jimmy0

https://www.fanragsports.com/inside-basebal...-affect-others/

The White Sox are in the market for a DH, though at this time there is no evidence that they have any interest in trading for eminently-available Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp. There was a time many, many years ago that the Sox showed some interest in Kemp, but that was many moons ago.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 02:49 PM)
There's just so little upside to Matt Kemp. Giving more at bats to Davidson/Delmonico or signing an underpriced late-offseason free agent that got left behind by the market both seem like better alternatives to me.

The upside to a Kemp or Ellsbury type of a deal is the prospect(s) they bring with them.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 02:53 PM)
I would rather give the ABs to Davidson/Delmonico/Sanchez and whoever else we got

I doubt the team would really worry too much about giving him a lot of ABs. The point would be to get another potential piece of the puzzle into the system. I mean if the Dodgers or Yankees offered one of them top 10, you do the deal. A Justus Sheffield or Jeren Kendall would look great in this system.

Duda on a one year wouldn't be so bad. Of course for the right prospects Kemp works as well. I was actually just about to post this (my own thoughts not heyman) but didn't know where to post speculation. Davidson has more value at 3B. DH will hit better then Sanchez seems like an easy way to upgrade the offense and create some depth with Sanchez coming off the bench

Edited by wrathofhahn

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 03:30 PM)
Duda on a one year wouldn't be so bad. Of course for the right prospects Kemp works as well. I was actually just about to post this (my own thoughts not heyman) but didn't know where to post speculation. Davidson has more value at 3B. DH will hit better then Sanchez seems like an easy way to upgrade the offense and create some depth with Sanchez coming off the bench

I think finding out if Sanchez can be a 2-3 WAR player moving forward is more important than creating a spot for Matt Davidson or creating depth on a team that is incredibly unlikely to compete for anything that isn't a top 5 draft pick.

That said, bring on Kemp as a DH if he comes with appropriate prospect compensation or something interesting from their ML roster like Joc Pederson.

Edited by Dam8610

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 06:01 PM)
I think finding out if Sanchez can be a 2-3 WAR player moving forward is more important than creating a spot for Matt Davidson or creating depth on a team that is incredibly unlikely to compete for anything that isn't a top 5 draft pick.

That said, bring on Kemp as a DH if he comes with appropriate prospect compensation or something interesting from their ML roster like Joc Pederson.

Not just Sanchez...guys like Delmonico, Cordell, and Leury could need places to get ABs once the mutant is called up and takes over a corner OF spot at mid-season. If we got something back of more use I'm ok with it, but I wouldn't spend new money on a DH. Way too many guys to rotate through there already.

Davidson/Delmonico would make sense, especially if we still are trying to lose. Not trying to be a smart ass. Why add some veteran slugging DH. Let the kids bat and if we lose, we lose.

Addendum: (My stance hasn't changed. I like to win, but I've accepted the rebuild).

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 05:01 PM)

Whether Sanchez or Davidson plays 3B DH is a spot that could be upgraded. Personally, I think with Davidson power he's sort of a guy you work on fixing his approach and hoping he gets onbase enough to get his OPS in the .800 range. Not sure Sanchez will ever be the guy he's a solid 2B but not sure he has 3B power.

I'm sorry, but if the Sox can help the Dodgers cut payroll and add a solid prospect to our system in the process, I have to do that deal. The Dodgers then have more ability to sign Darvish, leaving only Arrieta on the table. If Kemp only provides veteran leadership as the 25th man off the bench, it seems worth the $ when payroll is so low right now anyway. For that matter, make a trade with the Brewers, to help them free up $ for Arrieta and kick us a prospect as well.

What am I missing?

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 06:40 PM)
I'm sorry, but if the Sox can help the Dodgers cut payroll and add a solid prospect to our system in the process, I have to do that deal. The Dodgers then have more ability to sign Darvish, leaving only Arrieta on the table. If Kemp only provides veteran leadership as the 25th man off the bench, it seems worth the $ when payroll is so low right now anyway. For that matter, make a trade with the Brewers, to help them free up $ for Arrieta and kick us a prospect as well.

What am I missing?

Well first of all no one cares about veteran leadership from Matt Kemp or really any other player. If we need more veteran leadership than Jose Abreu then frankly we need better coaches. On top of that, yeah Kemp isn't a guy with that good of a leadership rep.

More than that, you don't need to apologize for the "add a solid prospect to our system" part. Including me, everyone above you has basically said "doing this in free agency isn't a good idea at all, we wouldn't want to just take on Kemp, but if the Dodgers made it worth it to us - by doing as you say and giving us something we'd want, we'd go for it". So we basically agree with you except on the veteran leadership part.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 04:40 PM)

What am I missing?

Makes the Dodgers better this year and would keep them under the luxury tax this year to reset their penalties to go after Harper next year. Both these things effect the Cubs haha

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 05:40 PM)

What am I missing?

I don't think it is a coincidence that the White Sox and Bulls have both slashed payroll significantly. So I don't see any significant bumps in payroll until the Sox are ready to compete................or JR sells.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 06:28 PM)
I don't think it is a coincidence that the White Sox and Bulls have both slashed payroll significantly. So I don't see any significant bumps in payroll until the Sox are ready to compete................or JR sells.

? Of course they’re both cutting payroll, they’re both at the front-end of rebuilds. What exactly are you suggesting?

I’ve asked this before but who was the best prospect sent along in a salary dump? Touki was bought.

Also lost in that article was Kip Wells looking to go into a front office analyst position which is pretty interesting.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 06:28 PM)

Oh ffs