2017 Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Facebook friends know, so my Soxtalk brothers and sisters may as well know too: I accepted the Executive Chef position at the Ramkota Hotel in Bismarck. So, if you are in Bismarck anytime in the near future, come find me. We serve good food.

Also, unlike most promotions, I'm much less scared about this. I'm much more scared of more f***ing snow.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 01:14 AM)
Facebook friends know, so my Soxtalk brothers and sisters may as well know too: I accepted the Executive Chef position at the Ramkota Hotel in Bismarck. So, if you are in Bismarck anytime in the near future, come find me. We serve good food.

Also, unlike most promotions, I'm much less scared about this. I'm much more scared of more f***ing snow.

Do you ever take photos of your creations for Facebook? You should.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 12:14 AM)

That's awesome news.

Now get in the kitchen, and make me some pie!

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 06:52 AM)
Do you ever take photos of your creations for Facebook? You should.

One of my night cooks took a photo of our New Year's Eve special and posted it on Facebook, but being a chef at a hotel is much more about management and less about specials. And most of our traffic is in house guests rather than walk-ins, so we don't do much for specials. We probably won't run any sort of featured item until Valentine's Day.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 10:14 PM)

Congrats Wite. Awesome news.

Remind me to stay as far away from that Hotel as possible.

Congrats Bud!

Broke my iPhone today. Thought it was completely dead but was able to plug it into my computer and it sees the phone but won't recognize it without putting in the passcode, which I obviously cannot do. Any tips short of fixing the screen?

I need Soxtalk's advice / confirmation I'm doing the right thing.

Our daughter is 22 months old. She's awesome. We have a nanny. She's solid - when she shows up to work - and has an amazing relationship with our daughter.

By my estimation, said nanny missed about 30 days in 2016 due to family (sick father, sister died) and her own health problems (has been in the hospital about 6 times for some heart issue). I have 11 direct reports at work, and half of them are 24 or under. This means they need guidance quite a bit or else projects will go haywire. I am at my wit's end. While I am understanding of her situation, it has become a great strain for my wife and I to continually

- have to miss work

- lean on family members who then have to miss work

- deal with random people watching our daughter who aren't keyed in on her schedule, thus causing workday distractions

Anyway, in her "contract", it clearly says we can fire her for cause. Over the weekend she fainted at Gurnee Mills. Honestly, I was mostly prepared to deal with her missing work for "one more year", but now I am having real anxiety over the thought of her fainting while carrying my daughter through a parking lot to a store. One of the benefits of having a nanny is our daughter gets to go all over the place, shop, do fun things. I am concerned.

So, having typed all of this, of course I have to replace her. However, I just wanted to get Soxtalk's backing.

We interviewed a young woman last night who seems like a good fit. Oh man, firing our nanny is going to be so hard.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 07:05 AM)

Our daughter is 22 months old. She's awesome. We have a nanny. She's solid - when she shows up to work - and has an amazing relationship with our daughter.

By my estimation, said nanny missed about 30 days in 2016 due to family (sick father, sister died) and her own health problems (has been in the hospital about 6 times for some heart issue). I have 11 direct reports at work, and half of them are 24 or under. This means they need guidance quite a bit or else projects will go haywire. I am at my wit's end. While I am understanding of her situation, it has become a great strain for my wife and I to continually

- have to miss work

- deal with random people watching our daughter who aren't keyed in on her schedule, thus causing workday distractions

Anyway, in her "contract", it clearly says we can fire her for cause. Over the weekend she fainted at Gurnee Mills. Honestly, I was mostly prepared to deal with her missing work for "one more year", but now I am having real anxiety over the thought of her fainting while carrying my daughter through a parking lot to a store. One of the benefits of having a nanny is our daughter gets to go all over the place, shop, do fun things. I am concerned.

So, having typed all of this, of course I have to replace her. However, I just wanted to get Soxtalk's backing.

We interviewed a young woman last night who seems like a good fit. Oh man, firing our nanny is going to be so hard.

It sounds like you did her a favor by holding on to her as long as you have, a firing would have been justifiable a while ago.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 08:58 AM)
It sounds like you did her a favor by holding on to her as long as you have, a firing would have been justifiable a while ago.

We pretty much had to have this moment with my mom. It isn't easy, but you have to choose what is right.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 8, 2017 -> 10:33 PM)
Broke my iPhone today. Thought it was completely dead but was able to plug it into my computer and it sees the phone but won't recognize it without putting in the passcode, which I obviously cannot do. Any tips short of fixing the screen?

Apple might be able to do it. Do you have iCloud backups set up on your phone?

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 8, 2017 -> 10:33 PM)

I replaced my 5s screen last year following a YouTube DIY video and it worked fine. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be, cost me 30 bucks.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 07:05 AM)

- have to miss work

As an update, we've decided to move along. The young woman we interviewed is receiving an offer later tonight which she says she's excited to accept.

I've decided to pay the current nanny for two weeks upon dismissal. To say this isn't weighing heavily would be an understatement. I'm too emotional a guy, it seems. Thankfully I quit drinking 51 days ago or else I'd really be acting goofy.

I'll let y'all know how she takes it. Spoiler alert, she's going to sob and promise she'll do better and not understand it and get angry and sob and sob and sob.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 01:50 PM)
As an update, we've decided to move along. The young woman we interviewed is receiving an offer later tonight which she says she's excited to accept.

I've decided to pay the current nanny for two weeks upon dismissal. To say this isn't weighing heavily would be an understatement. I'm too emotional a guy, it seems. Thankfully I quit drinking 51 days ago or else I'd really be acting goofy.

I'll let y'all know how she takes it. Spoiler alert, she's going to sob and promise she'll do better and not understand it and get angry and sob and sob and sob.

Childcare is one of the most stressful things i have had to deal with in my adult life. Me and my wife are counting down the days until our youngest is in school so we can start the both of us working day shifts and stop having to worry about unexpected issues that pop up(ie. our after school sitter took her family to disney this week, which means my wife is going into work an hour late this week every day)

Let her sob, you guys are doing the right thing for your family. And giving her 2 weeks "severance" is a really nice thing to do for her, because we both know you dont have to do that

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 01:50 PM)

I didnt see your first post earlier, and this is going to come off as cold, but dont put into contracts "termination for cause." If she is an employee make it clear that she is "at will", which means you can fire her for any reason or no reason. Just no point in putting yourself in a position where you could be liable for wrongful termination.

(edit)

Its interesting timing because just today I had to leave work cause my dad got sick so he couldnt take care of the monster this afternoon.

Edited by Soxbadger

Out of curiosity, what do you guys pay for your nanny? We've got 2 kids, a 4.5 year old and a 7 month old. Debating #3 in the next year. We've been discussing the nanny route simply for the ease of travel - she can play taxi for the kids for school, daycare, practice, etc. We pay about 36k a year for 2 in daycare. I assume a nanny would be more but we haven't gotten that far. The convenience of the nanny has always been offset by the structure/school environment/socialization provided by the daycare.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 11, 2017 -> 02:22 PM)
Out of curiosity, what do you guys pay for your nanny? We've got 2 kids, a 4.5 year old and a 7 month old. Debating #3 in the next year. We've been discussing the nanny route simply for the ease of travel - she can play taxi for the kids for school, daycare, practice, etc. We pay about 36k a year for 2 in daycare. I assume a nanny would be more but we haven't gotten that far. The convenience of the nanny has always been offset by the structure/school environment/socialization provided by the daycare.

$95/day + $70/week to clean the house

$545/week total