The "other" prospects in the Sale deal - Basabe & Diaz

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 11:31 AM)
Similar to Rob's post covering Lopez and Dunning, here is the deep dive into the back end of the Sale deal - Luis Alexander Basabe and Victor Diaz. Includes video, as well as a quote from Nick Hostetler.

If Basabe can improve his hit tool he could be an excellent prospect

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 55 | Run: 60 | Arm: 60 | Field: 55 | Overall: 50

He is above average in every other skill and is only 20 years old. There is plenty of development and projection left, but this is exactly the sort of player the White Sox should gamble on in the back end of trades that could end being a mlb regular

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 01:08 PM)
If Basabe can improve his hit tool he could be an excellent prospect

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 55 | Run: 60 | Arm: 60 | Field: 55 | Overall: 50

He is above average in every other skill and is only 20 years old. There is plenty of development and projection left, but this is exactly the sort of player the White Sox should gamble on in the back end of trades that could end being a mlb regular

Let's see what the white sox can do about that hit tool.

If he can hit for above average, he'd be a top 100 prospect next year.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2...l?event=event12

I made a joke that it was unlikely the sox backed off divers and then just offered up basabe/diaz, but it looks like that's actually how it happened.

Always funny to realize that the front offices have their own way to measure prospects, not looking at the BA top 100.

So if Basabe and Diaz have a good year next year, let's remember our scouts.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 02:20 PM)
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2...l?event=event12

I made a joke that it was unlikely the sox backed off divers and then just offered up basabe/diaz, but it looks like that's actually how it happened.

Always funny to realize that the front offices have their own way to measure prospects, not looking at the BA top 100.

So if Basabe and Diaz have a good year next year, let's remember our scouts.

Makes you think we could have gotten a little more out of them...makes you wonder if the Red Sox would have ultimately caved on Devers or not.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 11, 2016 -> 11:36 AM)
The only thing I don't like about these two is that the White Sox took another chance on an athlete with a sketchy hit tool when they've had a difficult time developing those players.

Basabe is pretty talented and his tools make him a good gamble for the white sox. He's more than just a throw in for sure

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 11, 2016 -> 11:36 AM)
The only thing I don't like about these two is that the White Sox took another chance on an athlete with a sketchy hit tool when they've had a difficult time developing those players.

The white sox have had a difficult time developing those players because they scouted and drafted bad players. I'll trust the red sox scouting to acquire basabe in the first place as reason enough to believe he will develop just fine. Some how I think the position players drafted by hostel tear last year will develop just fine as their scouting was far better

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 12:33 AM)
I'm weirdly very excited about Basabe. Like in my head for some reason I keep thinking his ceiling (I'm talking max skill) is something like Mike Cameron. .260 hitter with 20-25 HR, 20-25 SB, plus defense. Except Cameron has better plate discipline with BB and K rates.

He is completely overshadowed by Moncada/Kopech, but dude is a legit prospect. Loud tools and if he puts up numbers in 2017 I'd expect to see start popping up on the back ends of top 100 lists.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 12:51 PM)
He is completely overshadowed by Moncada/Kopech, but dude is a legit prospect. Loud tools and if he puts up numbers in 2017 I'd expect to see start popping up on the back ends of top 100 lists.

If he can take that currently 45 hit tool and bring it up to a 50 grade league average we will be looking at another top 100 prospect that has the potential to stick in center field

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 02:39 PM)
Our Luis Basabe correct? Not his twin brother Luis Basabe? haha

"Our" Luis Alexander Basabe is the much better prospect than his brother. I heard Jim Callis tell a story that when the Diamondbacks traded Ziegler to the Red Sox last year, they accidentally asked for Alejandro when they actually wanted Alexander. Normally I'd say thats unbelievable, but this is Dave Stewart we are talking about...

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 03:15 PM)
"Our" Luis Alexander Basabe is the much better prospect than his brother. I heard Jim Callis tell a story that when the Diamondbacks traded Ziegler to the Red Sox last year, they accidentally asked for Alejandro when they actually wanted Alexander. Normally I'd say thats unbelievable, but this is Dave Stewart we are talking about...

I was only joking really haha but that is a crazy story.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Dec 27, 2016 -> 04:15 PM)

Reminds me of KW's Berry/Barry trade.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 11:30 AM)

I was hoping for Devers, but figured Boston would not want to overpay that much.

I'm not sure I'd put Basabe in the top #100 prospects just yet due to his fringe average hit tool. He was young for his minor league level in 2016, and he could break out in 2017 if he continues to improve. A .780 OPS at 19 years old is reasonably impressive against older competition.

If he develops into a legitimate top #100 prospect it makes the Sale deal look even better. I did say at the time Basabe is far more than just a throw in piece.

Edited by steveno89