NCAA basketball thread 2017-18

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 04:48 PM)
I expect huge strides from Illinois this year under a guy who made something out of Oklahoma State with a strong recruiting class.

So thrilled all the recruits are staying

I suspect next year will be rough and they'll be back on the bubble. Losing Hill is going to be tough. Who's your go to guy on this team? JCL? He's too inconsistent.

Much like the Sox, at least there's hope going forward. I can watch a losing team if I know it's building towards something. When it's a losing team that has no hope, like the last few years, that's when it's tough to watch.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Apr 4, 2017 -> 04:16 PM)
I suspect next year will be rough and they'll be back on the bubble. Losing Hill is going to be tough. Who's your go to guy on this team? JCL? He's too inconsistent.

Much like the Sox, at least there's hope going forward. I can watch a losing team if I know it's building towards something. When it's a losing team that has no hope, like the last few years, that's when it's tough to watch.

I'm hoping that Frazier or Mark Smith (if he comes to IL) are the leading scorer by the end of the season. But if JCL's ball handling improves, he could average 14-16 a night. Finke, in Underwood's offense, could potentially do the same. There are some scoring options, and if you add a guard or two who can create their own offense, IL could end the season as a pretty good offensive team.

Next year's roster is going to be young, it's going to take some time to mesh, but it is also going to be one of the more talented Illini rosters in awhile, top t bottom.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 12:37 PM)
Tilmon is such a mess

Feel bad for the kid. Seems like he really wants to be an Illini but his camp wants a better offer. We'll see how it plays out.

In other news, it looks like the Illini might bring Orlando Antigua to be an assistant. This offseason can't get much better for the Illini.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 12:54 PM)
Hope Illinois has made it clear they're not allowing him to go to a big ten team or a team on their schedule (e.g., missouri)

edit: actually, can they even do that? or is that just for transfers?

Once they release him from his NLI he is free to go wherever. Because they had a coaching change it would be very unlikely the Illini deny it.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 01:02 PM)
And not nearly good enough to be such a headache. Obviously a really talented player but we aren't talking a truly elite prospect and he wasn't dominant this year at East St. Louis.

If he doesn't want to be here, f*** him. Don't even waste time re-recruiting him. He's had to be "won" back twice now. Not worth a 3rd try.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 01:04 PM)
So the rumor was Walker sold himself as being tied to Tilmon and Smith. Have to wonder if his status gets evaluated if he doesn't get some kids on campus this year.

This is a bad look for Tilmon. He just retweeted his commitment and now wants out of his NLI. He's young, so I feel bad for him, but to me, this is just re-opening his recruitment. Hopefully the Illini end up with him anyway. (even though that doesn't happen too often)

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 01:06 PM)
The Illini fan obsession with assuming every player that doesn't choose Illinois is getting paid more is really unparalleled.

If you don't think money or gifts to friends and family play a role in just about every top level recruitment, you're naive.

Moreover, in this situation he re-tweeted his commitment mere days ago. Clearly someone in his camp has someone pulling them in another direction. What other reason could their be?

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 01:06 PM)
The Illini fan obsession with assuming every player that doesn't choose Illinois is getting paid more is really unparalleled.

You're being ridiculous if you think this recruitment is clean. Most illinois fans accept that the school operated in the gray area to get him in the first place

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 01:09 PM)
If you don't think money or gifts to friends and family play a role in just about every top level recruitment, you're naive.

Moreover, in this situation he re-tweeted his commitment mere days ago. Clearly someone in his camp has someone pulling them in another direction. What other reason could their be?

No, money and gifts happen in recruiting. But Illini fans have a particular corner covered where only they lose out recruits to higher offers exclusively. It can't be fickle teenage minds, coach guidance, coaching changes, parental advice, no...it's always they got a bag of money. Because Illinois of course has no rich boosters. If he goes to Missouri, it's because our unbelievable booster class offered him more.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 01:12 PM)
You're being ridiculous if you think this recruitment is clean. Most illinois fans accept that the school operated in the gray area to get him in the first place

But my point is this is your default operating assumption. There has not been a recruit who Illinois has lost out on that has not had the "wellp, he got a better offer".

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 01:14 PM)
But my point is this is your default operating assumption. There has not been a recruit who Illinois has lost out on that has not had the "wellp, he got a better offer".

I don't remember saying anything like that for Quentin Snyder or Demetrius Jackson. The only high profile recruit i've blamed on money was Cliff Alexander and, well, there's proof of his mom accepting $200k so...