Key Dates

Chisoxfn

5th day after end of World Series - Deadline for teams to tender qualifying offers to their own free agents/Start of free agency

12th day after end of World Series - Deadline for free agents to accept or reject qualifying offers

November 10-12 - GM meetings

November 20 - Deadline to add players to 40-man roster to protect them from Rule 5 Draft

December 2 - Deadline to tender offers to arbitration-eligible players

December 8-11 - Winter meetings/ Rule 5 Draft

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5th day after end of World Series - Deadline for teams to tender qualifying offers to their own free agents/Start of free agency

12th day after end of World Series - Deadline for free agents to accept or reject qualifying offers

November 10-12 - GM meetings

November 20 - Deadline to add players to 40-man roster to protect them from Rule 5 Draft

December 2 - Deadline to tender offers to arbitration-eligible players

December 8-11 - Winter meetings/ Rule 5 Draft

QUOTE (hi8is @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 04:03 PM)
Thanks man, I knew I could count on Soxtalk to get me out of that awful situation.

I won't go into details, but I lived in a fraternity house in college, and we ran out of toilet paper once and our treasurer was being a dbag and not approving the purchase of toilet paper. Needless to say, that's where the answer came from.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Oct 18, 2014 -> 03:54 AM)
Non tender is gonna be interesting for Viciedo IMO. They really may feel the salary savings and roster spot are worth the mild risk someone will give up anything interesting for him down the road.

I think that the sox really have no choice but to tender him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 18, 2014 -> 11:43 AM)
Why? Are they unable to trade him for a period of time if they tender him a contract?

No, I just think that if they offer him arbitration they'll put themselves in a position where they're going to be stuck with him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 18, 2014 -> 11:58 AM)
No, I just think that if they offer him arbitration they'll put themselves in a position where they're going to be stuck with him.

But unless he is traded for a corner OF, Hahn may be forced to keep him. I don't think there is a legit corner OF on the 40 man or at AAA that is a better option. So until the Sox add that person, they will hold on to Viciedo. It probably makes most sense to pencil him in as a DH while they look for a corner and a DH hopefully both LH. Once both are found, then Viciedo is expendable as long as you can find someone who will take him.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Oct 18, 2014 -> 12:21 PM)
But unless he is traded for a corner OF, Hahn may be forced to keep him. I don't think there is a legit corner OF on the 40 man or at AAA that is a better option. So until the Sox add that person, they will hold on to Viciedo. It probably makes most sense to pencil him in as a DH while they look for a corner and a DH hopefully both LH. Once both are found, then Viciedo is expendable as long as you can find someone who will take him.

If we don't find a corner OF somewhere this offseason then there's no point in adding a cent to payroll outside of maybe a couple bullpen guys. Right now, corner outfield is a gaping hole on this roster and going with what we currently have on this squad is an admission that we're not competing next year.

If we don't add a corner OF, we may as well play Andy Wilkins at DH and Bassitt in the rotation next year out of the spring. It's that big of a hole. Failing to add a corner OF this offseason would be like resigning Konerko was last year, a complete signal that we don't care about the next season.

If we can't trade him by December 2, its really tough to figure out a reason to keep him. Maybe you do if you've got teams interested in trades and you're just waiting to make a decision, maybe if there's something behind the scenes going on that we don't know about (Abreu says he'll retire if Viciedo is traded or something like that), but otherwise, if he's not traded by Dec. 2, I would cut him lose.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 10:13 AM)
If all parties involved are not still in the playoffs, trades can happen as soon as the regular season is over, but trades before the end of the WS are rare.

All transactions during the World Series are highly discouraged. MLB wants all attention on the World Series, and nothing else.

• 2 weeks later...