Priority 1 / Priority 2 / Priority 3

Chisoxfn

As far as I'm concerned, Priority 1 is fixing the defense, Priority 2 is fixing the pen, and priority three is finding another starter. In terms of adding a bat, all great but you hope you can accomplish that in conjunction with priority 1. Adding bad defensive players really just isn't a good strategy given our existing defense and how bad it is.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going bullpen, LH middle of the order bat, starter.

Defensively, 3B an OF spot, maybe C are really all that would seemingly be addressed by trade or FA signing, so that can be a part of #2.

IMO, a good bullpen makes the team, as is, a lot more interesting. A couple more additions, and it could turn into good times.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 10:14 AM)
I am going bullpen, LH middle of the order bat, starter.

Defensively, 3B an OF spot, maybe C are really all that would seemingly be addressed by trade or FA signing, so that can be a part of #2.

IMO, a good bullpen makes the team, as is, a lot more interesting. A couple more additions, and it could turn into good times.

I think with a better bullpen we are better and only reason I had it a little lower on my priority was the fact that I'd like them to do most of it via trades and lesser signings while going after one guy we think can be our closer. Whether it is Andrew Miller or Robertson, I'm okay spending money in that area as long as it isn't too long term. We need someone at the back end to stop things and that will help as it pushes other guys down. I also think some of the guys in our current pen could be decent options, especially as you find a guy or two who come in. I also think guys like Bassit can help too.

However, our defense is just horrific. We have too many guys that are significantly below average players and a lot of those guys are also average to below average hitters. Combine that two and that is something that will really really hurt a club.

IMO, the Royals are clouding our judgement, everyone. The reason they are winning is because they are currently doing EVERYTHING better than everyone.

To me, we should think of our priorities in terms of the holes we need to fill, and we should fill the holes with guys that are good at as much stuff as we can afford. A run scored is a run saved. vice versa.

Priority 1 = corner OF bat, preferably left-handed. Ideally, it replace Viciedo. If not, it platoons with Viciedo. Move Garcia from RF to LF if necessary.

Priority 2 = acquire many pitchers, both starting and relieving. Reclamation projects with upside, young castoffs with upside, undervalued assets, etc. To me, we have only two guys locked in the rotation next year. Noesi, as much as we're impressed, ended up with a 4.75 ERA (4.83 FIP). Danks can be DFA'd for all I care. We'll find a place for Rodon when we're ready. For the reclamation model to work, you need to bring in four guys for two spots so that when you end up with Felipe Paulino, you have Jason Hammel to use instead. Same with RPs: the list of guys who are good relievers for more than a few years is extremely, saddeningly small. Get good, cheap arms with warts and expect 25% of them to stick under your tutelage.

Priority 3 = acquire good catcher that is here for several years. Flowers will make a good backup. Prioritize defense/handling over offense. It can be a veteran or a young guy, whatever.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)
IMO, the Royals are clouding our judgement, everyone. The reason they are winning is because they are currently doing EVERYTHING better than everyone.

To me, we should think of our priorities in terms of the holes we need to fill, and we should fill the holes with guys that are good at as much stuff as we can afford. A run scored is a run saved. vice versa.

Priority 1 = corner OF bat, preferably left-handed. Ideally, it replace Viciedo. If not, it platoons with Viciedo. Move Garcia from RF to LF if necessary.

Priority 2 = acquire many pitchers, both starting and relieving. Reclamation projects with upside, young castoffs with upside, undervalued assets, etc. To me, we have only two guys locked in the rotation next year. Noesi, as much as we're impressed, ended up with a 4.75 ERA (4.83 FIP). Danks can be DFA'd for all I care. We'll find a place for Rodon when we're ready. For the reclamation model to work, you need to bring in four guys for two spots so that when you end up with Felipe Paulino, you have Jason Hammel to use instead. Same with RPs: the list of guys who are good relievers for more than a few years is extremely, saddeningly small. Get good, cheap arms with warts and expect 25% of them to stick under your tutelage.

Priority 3 = acquire good catcher that is here for several years. Flowers will make a good backup. Prioritize defense/handling over offense. It can be a veteran or a young guy, whatever.

I agree with priority 1. To me you need to get a good bat who can play defense and preferably allow us to move Garcia to LF where maybe he can turn from a liability to a neutral player and with time a potential asset. I'm less concerned with catcher but he calls a good game and is better then most while being cost effective. I'm okay with him unless there was a significant upgrade to be had, of which I don't currently see.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 12:24 PM)
I think with a better bullpen we are better and only reason I had it a little lower on my priority was the fact that I'd like them to do most of it via trades and lesser signings while going after one guy we think can be our closer. Whether it is Andrew Miller or Robertson, I'm okay spending money in that area as long as it isn't too long term. We need someone at the back end to stop things and that will help as it pushes other guys down. I also think some of the guys in our current pen could be decent options, especially as you find a guy or two who come in. I also think guys like Bassit can help too.

However, our defense is just horrific. We have too many guys that are significantly below average players and a lot of those guys are also average to below average hitters. Combine that two and that is something that will really really hurt a club.

I agree the defense could be better, but Garcia is going to be out there. Eaton is solid. Maybe an upgrade in LF. 3B could use some improvement. SS, 2B, and 1B are going to be internal, as well as probably C.

If you can get a middle of the order LH hitter and improve the defense all in one signing or trade, that seems ideal. I just think we have to live with the White Sox having an average defense.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 12:32 PM)
Yeah, our defense is GARBAGE in the corners. Abreu, Gillaspie, Garcia, Viciedo. Yikes.

Luckily we're pretty solid up the middle. Hopefully Viciedo never plays another game in this uniform. And Garcia can't be any worse maybe?

Anyway, to be brief...

1) Rotation

2) Corner outfield

3) Bullpen

1- defense/ bats ( they tie in together). Sanchez at 2B, Alexei at SS, Headley at 3B ( I'm on board with the idea now). Trade Gillaspie for........? Sign LaRoche to share 1B/DH with Abreu. Trade for Ethier to play LF or if he can handle it, play RF and move Avi to LF where's he likely better off. Sign AJ to be the back up LH catcher to Flowers.

2- Bullpen- sign a few relievers to help get the pen back on track. We all know the names available so there's no need to list them. Any of them will help that pathetic pen. I really like the idea of adding Bassitt to the pen and believe he could help quite a bit.

3- sign Volquez. Sale, Q, Volquez, Danks, Noesi sounds pretty good to start the season. This way the Sox have time to find a trade partner for Danks while Rodon works on his control at Charlotte. Once Danks is traded, Rodon takes his place. This is all assuming the Sox are unable to trade Danks this winter, which I hold out hope for but am not counting on.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 10:29 AM)
I agree the defense could be better, but Garcia is going to be out there. Eaton is solid. Maybe an upgrade in LF. 3B could use some improvement. SS, 2B, and 1B are going to be internal, as well as probably C.

If you can get a middle of the order LH hitter and improve the defense all in one signing or trade, that seems ideal. I just think we have to live with the White Sox having an average defense.

Average defense would be a significant upgrade. The problem is right now our defense is not even close to that. We were well below average at LF / RF / 3B. Technically we are also below average at 1B as well.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 10:34 AM)
Id say way above average up the middle though. It's really just Avi at this point.

Eaton is our best defender and Ramirez is slightly above average. We'll see what we get out of 2B. Hard to say we are way above average in those spots though as Ramirez defense has been declining. I'd be curious where our overall team defense ranked by advanced stats. I'm going to guess amongst the worst in the league.

1. Bullpen 2. OFer 3. Bullpen

I can care less is we go into the season with Sale-Q-Danks-Noesi-Bassitt (With Rodon eventually taking Danks or Bassitts spot) with Viceido as our DH as long as long as the bullpen is improved dramatically and Tank isn't in LF. That of course isn't ideal and not what's gonna happen but yeah.

I think a starting pitcher and a hitter are 1 and 1a. Since the DH position is open, just get the best hitter they can and work out the best defensive arrangement once that hitter is in the mix. Picking up a reliever and a second hitter are priorities 2 and 3.

1. Bullpen. A closer has to be identified. Now trading for one may not be the answer as we know how brittle they are. Is there a current closer in the organization? Could they turn Petricka into a GOOD one? You may laugh, but I'd try to get Reed back. He's not popular with his new team and we could probably get him for little in return. he'd be a stopgap until the Sox figure out what to do at closer. He knows the organization and would feel comfy on the mound back in the Cell.

2.) Defense. Did you see that catch by Alex Gordon yesterday? Did u see the play of Cain? We're not going to sniff contention against the Royals in the future until the Sox get better bullpen and defense. The Sox defense is far off from being competitive. Some of the key cogs suck at defense so what's a team to do??

3.) Righty starter. We need a Guthrie type and no, I'm not a big Guthrie guy. I don't want any more lefty starters with the exception of Rodon of course.

Good luck Mr. Hahn.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 02:10 PM)
Average defense would be a significant upgrade. The problem is right now our defense is not even close to that. We were well below average at LF / RF / 3B. Technically we are also below average at 1B as well.

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if next year we were up to "Average" at 1b defensively. Abreu started off the season looking as bad technique-wise at 1b as I would if you put me right there, and he pulled that together really quick.

It would probably also help if we had someone on the roster to actually give him some time off every now and then, so a DH/1b backup type would have a place in that lst.

OF Bats (select 1):

Markakis

Rasmus

Melky

DH (I think his bat would fit well on this team:

Moralas

RHP Pen (select 3):

Sergio Romo

Luke Gregerson

Andrew Bailey

Luke Hochevar

Jason Motte

Chris Perez

Find a couple LHP to compete for the pen. There are a few decent veteran FA options...Beimel, Cotts, Duke and Thatcher. At least bring one of those in plus a few more wildcards.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 03:18 PM)
Find a couple LHP to compete for the pen. There are a few decent veteran FA options...Beimel, Cotts, Duke and Thatcher. At least bring one of those in plus a few more wildcards.

The team has 2 possible bullpen lefties on the roster in Surkamp and Snodgress. Many didn't notice but after his 2nd callup Surkamp did very well as a bullpen lefty role.

What I'd guess they'll do for lefties in the bullpen, based on this franchise's previous moves, is sign one LHP to a 1 year contract, maybe 1 year with an option, and let those 2 lefties compete for the other spot in ST with Surkamp having the inside track due to experience and the other takes a key bullpen role, possibly closer, at Charlotte.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 01:45 PM)
I wouldn't be one bit surprised if next year we were up to "Average" at 1b defensively. Abreu started off the season looking as bad technique-wise at 1b as I would if you put me right there, and he pulled that together really quick.

It would probably also help if we had someone on the roster to actually give him some time off every now and then, so a DH/1b backup type would have a place in that lst.

It would probably also help if we had a manager who actually gave him some time off every now and then.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 02:29 PM)
The team has 2 possible bullpen lefties on the roster in Surkamp and Snodgress. Many didn't notice but after his 2nd callup Surkamp did very well as a bullpen lefty role.What I'd guess they'll do for lefties in the bullpen, based on this franchise's previous moves, is sign one LHP to a 1 year contract, maybe 1 year with an option, and let those 2 lefties compete for the other spot in ST with Surkamp having the inside track due to experience and the other takes a key bullpen role, possibly closer, at Charlotte.

I just worry about Veal part 2, although i do recognize that bullpen arms(and performances) are not predictable year to year. It would be nice to have a few LOOGYs come out of the minors, but i would like to see some more competition next spring

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)
I just worry about Veal part 2, although i do recognize that bullpen arms(and performances) are not predictable year to year. It would be nice to have a few LOOGYs come out of the minors, but i would like to see some more competition next spring

In my dream for next season, Surkamp starts throwing a bit harder working and conditioning solely as a reliever this offseason because he won't have to be stretched out as far. He was solid at his 89-92 but his mistakes were still crushed. If he gets it up to 94 or 95, those mistakes will be punished less often.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 03:38 PM)
In my dream for next season, Surkamp starts throwing a bit harder working and conditioning solely as a reliever this offseason because he won't have to be stretched out as far. He was solid at his 89-92 but his mistakes were still crushed. If he gets it up to 94 or 95, those mistakes will be punished less often.

Out of the two, I think Snodgress has the arm much more likely to do that. I think Surkamp can probably have success in the low 90s but wouldn't be surprised either way since that's how bullpen arms go.

IMO, the rule still is that if you're a bullpen lefty, you throw strikes, and you have some sort of an off speed pitch, you can pitch in this league for 15 years or until your arm gives out.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 16, 2014 -> 12:29 PM)
The team has 2 possible bullpen lefties on the roster in Surkamp and Snodgress. Many didn't notice but after his 2nd callup Surkamp did very well as a bullpen lefty role.

What I'd guess they'll do for lefties in the bullpen, based on this franchise's previous moves, is sign one LHP to a 1 year contract, maybe 1 year with an option, and let those 2 lefties compete for the other spot in ST with Surkamp having the inside track due to experience and the other takes a key bullpen role, possibly closer, at Charlotte.

I think they will be after Andrew Miller.