Jason >>>>>>>>>>> Hawk

ron883

Hearing Jason next to Stone has been a joy. Hawk just keeps getting worse and worse. It is nice hearing a color guy that can actually provide some solid input. I can't wait for Hawk to retire. What have you guys thought of Jason so far?

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jason and hawk are play by play men. Not color men.

I love me some Hawk and have missed him when he hasn't been there. Benneti has been really solid. I haven't found him quite as good as most have said, but very solid. I will say this though, it normally takes guys quite a while, months to years IMO, to even become solid. Not many guys walk into the booth day 1 and are already good. Benneti is already that. I think he will be outstanding by seasons end

Interviewed Jason Benetti for Sox Net last Monday. Have turned in the story to Daniel. He'll publish it when he feels the time is right.

Benetti is a very interesting guy and I think he's going to do well this year and eventually, perhaps as soon as next year take over full time duties.

Mark

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 04:48 PM)
I can see how Hawk during a bad season or bad games would bug some Sox fans, but the wins? He is tremendous.

I think the fail of the sentiment of this thread is that we sweep Texas and somehow the pizza is better, the sky is more blue, the pillow softer... the announcer better.

It's just funny how people feel the need for absolutes... If Hawk were announcing the sweep I'm sure it the thread would have been "Hawk never retire!"

Edited by harkness

QUOTE (harkness @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 04:50 PM)
I think the fail of the sentiment of this thread is that we sweep Texas and somehow the pizza is better, the sky is more blue, the pillow softer... the announcer better.

It's just funny how people feel the need for absolutes... If Hawk were announcing the sweep I'm sure it the thread would have been "Hawk never retire!"

A lot of people have been really tired of Hawk for a long time, I don't think the sweep has anything to do with the sentiment that Jason is better than Hawk.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 04:09 PM)
Hearing Jason next to Stone has been a joy. Hawk just keeps getting worse and worse. It is nice hearing a color guy that can actually provide some solid input. I can't wait for Hawk to retire. What have you guys thought of Jason so far?

I've enjoyed Jason's work as well.

Benetti is, for the most part, solid. You can tell he's still learning the game but at least he's making an effort. I also like that Stone is a MILLION times better with Jason than Hawk. Hawk is such a clueless old coot that he rambles on about some point (leadoff walks, yaz, bullpens) and then just trails off and Stone is like "uh...back to the game" or "I dunno about that".

One thing annoying about Benetti is some of his inane questions to Stone like 101 stuff not just baseball but athletics. Like his question about "does yesterday factor into Robertson's mindset today" it's like of course not. Maybe if he had blown like 3 saves in a row but one game? Come on he wasn't even that bad yesterday just didn't have great command. That's just one example he's had plenty some Stone is just like "duh" but is being nice about it for now.

Overall, it's good. We'll see if Hawk is any better with more rest but I doubt it.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 05:25 PM)
A lot of people have been really tired of Hawk for a long time, I don't think the sweep has anything to do with the sentiment that Jason is better than Hawk.

I think some people have sure... but the timing of the post to me was no coincidence.

Yeah, not really fair to compare Hawk and Benetti.....one is 70-something years old with 6 decades in the game while the other is in the first month as a professional baseball announcer. They're going to talk about different things throughout a broadcast.

With that said, Benetti and Stone are a great team to listen to. Steve seems reinvigorated dealing with a younger guy and I think they do a great job of playing up the technological divide between them. Also, their senses of humor are very much in tune...extremely dry. I also like some of the little features/games Benetti has started like the math deal and Sticks and Stone. What's Jason averaging on mentions of FanGraphs per game? Got to be over two, eh?

I like Jason and can live in a world in which he takes over for Hawk full time. He's funny and does a nice job of going back and forth with Steve without completely blowing him ala Swirsky. With that said, I still want to hear WAY BACK on a deep fly and of course the standard hooting and hollering when it clears the fence and/or the Sox score runs.