Victor Martinez is White Sox target

Feeky Magee

Who is Victor Martinez and why are the Chicago White Sox making him a priority as he approaches free agent status this fall?

The Tigers’ DH has been the center of attention for major-league scouts, who are looking to define their off-season pursuit of talent for next year.

On a team that has arguably the best hitter in baseball (Miguel Cabrera), Martinez has been the top run producer on the Tigers. He has been “The Man,” while protecting Cabrera and the top of Detroit’s batting order.

“You see Victor hitting behind Cabrera — it really catches your attention ,” White Sox manager Robin Ventura said. “He is a very smart hitter and you see the thought process he goes through for an at-bat. He is on most pitches. He is about the same left- or right-handed. “

The Tigers will do their best to hold on to Martinez, but their payroll and the escalating costs of doing business in a middle market like Detroit probably means the 35-year-old player may be moving on. The White Sox will have the payroll flexibility, with almost $25 million coming off their payroll with the retirement of Paul Konerko ; the trade of Gordon Beckham and not resigning Adam Dunn.

Martinez brings a heck of a lot more to the party than just a potent, switch-hitting bat. Baseball people believe Martinez will be sought after for his makeup and personality, as much as his hitting skills. When scouts talk about Martinez, they say he is one of the great “crossover” players in the game. A crossover guy is considered a player who has the unique personal skills to communicate with all ethnic groups that comprise most big-league clubhouses.

Former teammate Avisail Garcia is hoping that the White Sox are successful in bringing his former Detroit friend and adviser to the South Side of Chicago in 2015.

“He is great person and great player,” Garcia said. “He always would take the time to talk to me about how hard it is to be a good baseball player. He would say to me, ‘You must be positive and consistent through good times and bad.’”

What makes Martinez the perfect guy for a team like the rebuilding White Sox ? He would be a power-hitter to protect Jose Abeu and in front of the emerging Garcia.

According to a major league source, Martinez for all the reasons mentioned above will be at the top of the White Sox list of free agents they target this fall. Along with Chicago and Detroit, Seattle and Kansas City will likely be in pursuit of this exceptional competitor. Martinez enters this series with the White Sox hitting .327 with 26 home runs and 85 RBI.

The Tigers DH is making $12 million in the final year of a four-year, $50 million contract. Playing at age 36 will not stop Martinez from asking for three years when he declares free-agent status this November.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/08/29/lev...-for-white-sox/

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hi8is @ Aug 29, 2014 -> 10:53 PM)
It's just pure logic mixed with out of context quotes but hell... I'd take him and would go on the record as saying he's the best DH option out there for us next season.

I take him he can protect abreu.

Levine stating the obvious once again in an effort to get people to read his blurbs. Everything he said was already known by most people on this board. Levine should really just go away.

Edit: I would be all for signing VM if he hit FA! :)

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (peavy44 @ Aug 29, 2014 -> 10:54 PM)
I take him he can protect abreu.

lol you said he was too old in the game thread......A game thread in which I said I hope Thome, who's apparently close to him, helps recruit him here after Hawk was talking about those 2.

I'd obviously love it. Dude is a professional hitter, the type of guy who's gonna keep hitting well into his late 30's...Or at least I'd hope if the Sox end up getting him.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 29, 2014 -> 11:05 PM)
lol you said he was too old in the game thread......A game thread in which I said I hope Thome, who's apparently close to him, helps recruit him here after Hawk was talking about those 2.

I'd obviously love it. Dude is a professional hitter, the type of guy who's gonna keep hitting well into his late 30's...Or at least I'd hope if the Sox end up getting him.

What deal u give him 3 years 30 million.

I find this very interesting article. I in my suspicious state is asking why would something

like this come out now. I mean its one thing to discuss it in a fan forum but another

in an article.

question, would det use this as tampering against chi? if it was a true article, why would

chi sox org talk about it now? how bout a it being a possible diversional tactic against who

and for what reason?

I just don't know about the validity of this article at this time.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 12:08 AM)
I find this very interesting article. I in my suspicious state is asking why would something

like this come out now. I mean its one thing to discuss it in a fan forum but another

in an article.

question, would det use this as tampering against chi? if it was a true article, why would

chi sox org talk about it now? how bout a it being a possible diversional tactic against who

and for what reason?

I just don't know about the validity of this article at this time.

There was something similar that came out last year. I think it was Granderson.

4 years $60M(my guess) and lose a draft pick for a 34 year old having a career year? No thanks.

I don't mind giving up a draft pick to get VMart, because he's far and away the best hitter available. No way I'm giving him $60M, and if it's a 4 year deal it would have to be very front-loaded. Somebody else probably will give him $60M though, so I don't expect to see him on the Sox in 2015.

As much as I don't wanna waste money or lose picks, this line-up needs some pop without Dunn, we just have Abreu and Garcia for pop and that's really it, Gillaspie is a great hitter but it's tough having a 3rd baseman that can't put it over the fence a little more, Hahn needs to pick up a RHS, couple relievers, and a bat or two at most

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 08:28 AM)
I don't mind giving up a draft pick to get VMart, because he's far and away the best hitter available. No way I'm giving him $60M, and if it's a 4 year deal it would have to be very front-loaded. Somebody else probably will give him $60M though, so I don't expect to see him on the Sox in 2015.

Agree on the draft pick. And I would definitely go 3/$45 to bring him in, but that might not be enough.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 30, 2014 -> 04:26 PM)
He should clarify that by saying "the baseball team, not the city"

unless he is referring to the overall ratings of the city, or the economy of the city

or the crime rate of the city.

it is a fair statement.