AAP: Luis Robert

southsider2k5

http://meadowparty.com/blog/2017/09/21/klawchat-92117/

Keith: How do you think the White Sox will handle Luis Robert next season? Has your POV on him changed based on anything you heard from the DSL?

Keith Law: He was way too old for the DSL – most players there are 18 or younger. I assume he’ll start in Kannapolis.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 02:16 PM)
Keith Law: He was way too old for the DSL – most players there are 18 or younger.

While there's nothing in this statement to warrant what I'm about to say -- the way Law speaks, imagining him saying just about anything.... makes me think,

That dude is a major asshole.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Video probably won't embed but here's Robert taking BP at mini-camp today. Follow link if it doesn't embed.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

7. Luis Robert, OF, White Sox

Robert combines exciting upside with swing-and-miss risk that we've pointed out since he was still in Cuba. That risk showed up more than the upside did in Robert's first season with the White Sox last year, although I think it would be a mistake to take too much away from Robert's 2018 struggles without accounting for the context of his season.

Robert had been in a layoff from competitive baseball since leaving Cuba, then while adjusting to a new country, he never got an opportunity to get his timing back at the plate. He tore a ligament in his thumb that kept him out the first two months of the season, then played for a little less than a month before re-injuring that thumb and missing another month. So Robert played just 50 games between two Class A levels last year, never staying on the field for more than one month at a time. Robert's profile still includes contact and pitch recognition risk, but he also just needs to stay healthy and get a fair opportunity to get his timing back.