FutureSox interviews Olympic medalist Eddy Alvarez

NorthSideSox72

Really nice interview.

While he's relatively old for the level - 24 in low A does not scream future MLB player - he obviously has incredible work ethic and athleticism given the Olympic style training he's gone through. He's also shown a very advanced approach for being a raw prospect, given the 13.9% walk rate, and his K-rate is not outrageous either at 16.7%. Given all that plus the supporting cast he has around him, I wouldn't be surprised to see Eddy play at the MLB level at some point.

This is a guy I'm going to look forward to following.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
Really nice interview.

While he's relatively old for the level - 24 in low A does not scream future MLB player - he obviously has incredible work ethic and athleticism given the Olympic style training he's gone through. He's also shown a very advanced approach for being a raw prospect, given the 13.9% walk rate, and his K-rate is not outrageous either at 16.7%. Given all that plus the supporting cast he has around him, I wouldn't be surprised to see Eddy play at the MLB level at some point.

This is a guy I'm going to look forward to following.

Age makes zero impact with this player. He took over 3 years off. So equate his development to a 21 year old as that is the experience he has. You will find no one who will work as hard as he does.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 05:04 PM)
Age makes zero impact with this player. He took over 3 years off. So equate his development to a 21 year old as that is the experience he has. You will find no one who will work as hard as he does.

This is still hard to say 100%, because if he's in a league with 20 year olds and he's 24, physically his body is probably more developed than most of the people in the league with him, wouldn't you say?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 04:15 PM)
This is still hard to say 100%, because if he's in a league with 20 year olds and he's 24, physically his body is probably more developed than most of the people in the league with him, wouldn't you say?

Maybe a little. Most 20 y/o are physically mature. They may be starting a lifting program to add muscle or something but they are physically fully mature. There may be a few that are still developing. So with his background as an athlete he has be physically training more than most.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 04:31 PM)
Maybe a little. Most 20 y/o are physically mature. They may be starting a lifting program to add muscle or something but they are physically fully mature. There may be a few that are still developing. So with his background as an athlete he has be physically training more than most.

I changed quite a bit from 18 to 21 to 24 though too.

It's also going to be interesting to see how they handle him moving forward. Given his age, you would think that they'd be more aggressive with him to try and optimize his value, but if he deals with struggles, how quickly do they cut the cord or move him around? Because he's older they can't have too long of a leash, but given his pedigree, you have to give him longer than most UDFAs.

I don't mean anything to come across as negative, just attempting to analyze it from the front office standpoint. Maybe that's the incorrect way to go about it at this point and we should just sit back and enjoy a good underdog (sorta) story. I'm rooting for him to make it.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 09:04 PM)

I am with you, plus, he is a silver medalist in another sport. this is like following 2 dreams.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2014 -> 04:15 PM)

I believe with his Olympic experience, his mind is going to carry him very far. Even at the low levels I competed at, I recognized how much the ability to block out distractions and focus into a task meant to performance. This guy is probably the toughest mentally of anyone in the entire organization. That will carry him a long way all by itself.

• 1 month later...